Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I've always liked that old style Cuban heel.

Found the rest of the guy...
8a28605v.jpg

Here are a couple of more Photos of Pie Town during the depression.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/slice-america-1940-pie-town-new-mexico

I bet you gotta go all the way to socorro to find boots today.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The way the boot making market is now, it's hard to believe that there used to be a number of makers that actually catered to the individual customers needs and desires and still put out a quality product at a reasonable price. I have a pair of TL's from the late 50's to mid 60's that I would put up against most of the customs I own. When handled, it's almost hard to believe they were a mass marketed boot, especially compared to today's junk.
I find this to be true of so much western wear. This is what started my hunt for vintage western wear. After years, I found myself to be without any quality gear. So I went into some, so called western stores, and all I could find was overpriced low quality hats, boots, shirts, etc. When I worked at this we provided free hat brushing, and creasing, regardless of where you bought the hat. We stretched boots for free, regardless of where they were from, and would hem your pants to fall correctly over your boots, also free. Service was utmost! What has happened?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We recently had a Cavenders Boot City open in this area. Out of curiosity I paid them a visit. Huge store, well appointed and clean. Outside of their Wranglers and Bickmore 4, I didn't find a damn thing I would buy. The hat section wasn't even manned and when I asked the lone employee on the floor about that, she replied that the manager was the only one doing any hat work (shaping and such) and he wasn't available at the time. She went on to say they were in the process of hiring a hat person and that they worked for tips only. Odd.

We have two home owned and operated Western stores in my area that are about 30 miles apart and one has been in business for over 30 years and the other over 50. Cavendars is set almost equidistant between the two and just across the road from the areas most popular shopping complex. I do hope the two stores can hang on.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Disappoint? I don't see how. Noconas made in Nocona are about as good as they get. I wish the big three still made all of their boots here. I might not own anything else if that was the case.

Don't think they are made in Nocona, but they sure look sweet, and they are "Handcrafted in the USA"

https://www.nocona.com/footwear/men/shop-handcrafted-usa-styles/MD8603

Always wanted me some caiman boots. I like the heel size too. I'm 6'1", I hit my head on things if the heels are too high. :)

Don't think they are made in Nocona, but they sure look sweet, and they are "Handcrafted in the USA"

https://www.nocona.com/footwear/men/shop-handcrafted-usa-styles/MD8603

Always wanted me some caiman boots. I like the heel size too. I'm 6'1", I hit my head on things if the heels are too high. :)

When he said "scored", I'm pretty sure he was talking about an auction win and they were python boots as well. Don't believe he posted a photo of them. Very well could have been made in Nocona.

Desert dog

When he said "scored", I'm pretty sure he was talking about an auction win and they were python boots as well. Don't believe he posted a photo of them. Very well could have been made in Nocona.
Yes, it was an auction, sorry I wasn't very clear. I hoped I hadn't bid against anyone here. I didn't wait until the last minute and a couple of bids came in after me. I still bid almost twice what they sold for. I couldn't get the auction photos to load.
I will post when they get here.

Desert dog

Yes, it was an auction, sorry I wasn't very clear. I hoped I hadn't bid against anyone here. I didn't wait until the last minute and a couple of bids came in after me. I still bid almost twice what they sold for. I couldn't get the auction photos to load.
I will post when they get here.

Here are couple of my wife's boots. The tan ones are black label Lamas, and the black are Nocona. She wanted some well worn, pre broken in boots, and the tan ones fit the bill. She likes the deep scallop on the Noconas. Not sure of the year on the Noconas, but they weren't made in Nocona. I really like those gators, I would love to have a pair. Keep those gator photos coming.
2eab7f302fe2a527cc59d853973de68b.jpg
be1f73b838ed174e708e4167cd1e574d.jpg
8c7e34f3547115b30eedb67ea0a6608a.jpg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

Oh hey, I wasn't trying to be contrary. You guys know a whole lot more about boots than I do. I am happy to be reading your posts because I am learning a thing or two.
Thanks!

I find this to be true of so much western wear. This is what started my hunt for vintage western wear. After years, I found myself to be without any quality gear. So I went into some, so called western stores, and all I could find was overpriced low quality hats, boots, shirts, etc. When I worked at this we provided free hat brushing, and creasing, regardless of where you bought the hat. We stretched boots for free, regardless of where they were from, and would hem your pants to fall correctly over your boots, also free. Service was utmost! What has happened?

I think to a large degree it is us the consumer that has created this. We have accepted the throwaway world and insist on the lowest prices. I think we are not willing to pay the prices required to underwrite the cost of this high level of service. This started many years ago and is now quickened by Amazon and the online shopping world. Custom hats, footwear and clothing still exist but only as a very very small niche market compared to the mass of items imported to fill America's malls

Desert dog

I think to a large degree it is us the consumer that has created this. We have accepted the throwaway world and insist on the lowest prices. I think we are not willing to pay the prices required to underwrite the cost of this high level of service. This started many years ago and is now quickened by Amazon and the online shopping world. Custom hats, footwear and clothing still exist but only as a very very small niche market compared to the mass of items imported to fill America's malls
It is nice to see that you can still find quality and service through the cottage industry. Custom hats and boots show that there are still those don't mind paying for quality, which actually cost less in the long run. I like to hike and backpack and needed a quality, very light weight tarp for hammock shelter. Not happy with the mass produced items, I found a small company in North Carolina who made the highest quality for only slightly more, and you could actually talk to the owner!

I really enjoy seeing photos of the West during that time period. Thought I would post a picture of my boots. Nothing spectacular here. Brown Tony Lama, black python Tony Lama, black Tony Lama, grey Nocona, and black ostrich Nocona. None of the Lamas are black label, but my wife has some.
668ab365d2a3e3b580af79a37dc4ac82.jpg

Nice collection Desert dog! Killer threads, too.

Oh hey, I wasn't trying to be contrary. You guys know a whole lot more about boots than I do. I am happy to be reading your posts because I am learning a thing or two.
Thanks!

My apologies for coming across as contentious or crass, jonesy. Not my intent. Nocona has used different labels over the years and to my knowledge, the current boots use a stamp type label in the shaft. It looks like this first image. Not made in Nocona.
image.png

The older boots, made in Nocona used this older label.
image.jpeg

The ones that followed the above label looked like this. Not a good image but both had 'Nocona Texas' stitched at the bottom of the label.
image.jpeg

And if you can find a pair of these, with the label embroidered in the cloth pull straps. Nice find if they are in good shape. The earliest I know of, though the first ones probably had nothing in them.
image.jpeg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Wow, those go back. I was just reading that Nocona moved to El Paso in 1981. Also interested to learn that:

Nocona Boots is a western boot brand and a division of Justin Brands, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway corporation (NYSE: BRKa).

Justin Brands is the world’s largest manufacturer of western footwear.[1] In addition to Nocona Boots, it own Justin Boots, Tony Lama Boots, and Chippewa Boots.

Who Knew? :)

Desert dog

My apologies for coming across as contentious or crass, jonesy. Not my intent. Nocona has used different labels over the years and to my knowledge, the current boots use a stamp type label in the shaft. It looks like this first image. Not made in Nocona.
View attachment 87952
View attachment 87953
The ones that followed the above label looked like this. Not a good image but both had 'Nocona Texas' stitched at the bottom of the label.
View attachment 87954
And if you can find a pair of these, with the label embroidered in the cloth pull straps. Nice find if they are in good shape. The earliest I know of, though the first ones probably had nothing in them.
View attachment 87955
The pair I just bought have the second label, the red one with Nocona Texas.

Desert dog

View attachment 87952
View attachment 87953
View attachment 87954
View attachment 87955
Thank you for posting these photos !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy