Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

DJH

I'll Lock Up
My wife saw an ad for Tecovas boots online and bought me a pair of their roper boots.

I really like them, simple design and very soft calf leather - fit perfectly.

The company was started by a couple of young guys in Austin and they outsource the manufacturing to a company over the border.

6af2c5e40d1cc5922f4999c4c66a564e.jpg

Cheers! David

My wife saw an ad for Tecovas boots online and bought me a pair of their roper boots.

The company was started by a couple of young guys in Austin and they outsource the manufacturing to a company over the border.

Cheers! David

Hey, David. I've been doing some reading about this Co. and they're getting a lot of positive feedback, (though not all, naturally). I believe their boots are made in Leon. Hard to beat that with a factory boot. Those look very well made and I look forward to updates as they are worn.

It seems they are expanding their lineup and I hope they expand their style options as I know they've grown into more hide options.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, they are made in Leon. Currently they have the calf leather, an ostrich and a lizard, all in either roper or western style. They have some ladies models too, although my wife prefers Old Gringo.

It’s rare for me to get new boots (other than a pair of Nocona I got in the Ft Worth Justin outlet store) so it will be interesting to see how these hold up.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the shafts are much narrower than traditional cowboy boots and she'd never get them on without the zipper.

Cheers! David

Just arrived for my wife after being on pre-order for six months or so. She loves Old Gringo boots.

I must admit, they are pretty sexy!!

646171c30c239af4f6547ca92ff9f326.jpg

Cheers! David

David, certainly not my thing but I'm not about to show Lady B those, as the more bling, the more she likes. They are good looking boots. You're earlier post about Tecova got me to thinking about another Austin based boot co. http://heritageboot.com/ Founded by an Irishman who once operated a vintage western store in London. Their boots are made in Mexico using traditional methods and are pricier than Tecovas but they offer some interesting styles. You have to buy in person or over the phone, they don't sell online.

My wife bought a pair of Tecovas and likes them a lot. She tried to steer me towards some, but I have yet to pull the trigger. Probably because I can't save up enough as I keep buying things like this (for $36). I think these Justins are from the 1980s, but I am waiting to hear back from their customer service folks.

36337922814_5c28e1b7e9_o.jpg

36337922334_452d0f4e37_o.jpg

36337918574_987b8f7c97_o.jpg

36337917844_9fc8d0f327_o.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
My wife bought a pair of Tecovas and likes them a lot. She tried to steer me towards some, but I have yet to pull the trigger. Probably because I can't save up enough as I keep buying things like this (for $36). I think these Justins are from the 1980s, but I am waiting to hear back from their customer service folks.

I'm with you, Bob. I posted my $35 eBay find a couple of weeks ago. I had them resoled so basically new lizard skin boots for $100

69caed178e66b15ffbcebcd11be6b10d.jpg

Having said that, getting the Tecovas was a very nice present and I'm enjoying the roper style which is new for me.

Cheers! David

I think these Justins are from the 1980s, but I am waiting to hear back from their customer service folks.
Bob, I think those are from the very late 1970's - early 1980's. The once "Big 3" are all owned now by Warren Buffett's Birkshire Hathaway Inc. so I seriously doubt they will be able to help you much.

Bob, I think those are from the very late 1970's - early 1980's. The once "Big 3" are all owned now by Warren Buffett's Birkshire Hathaway Inc. so I seriously doubt they will be able to help you much.

Thanks Jack. I asked them about another pair I was watching on eBay and they were pretty quick to respond and narrowed that pair down to '84/'85. Still haven't heard back on these.

Thanks Jack. I asked them about another pair I was watching on eBay and they were pretty quick to respond and narrowed that pair down to '84/'85. Still haven't heard back on these.

Yeah, Bob. I've had pretty good luck with Tony Lama inquiries. Maybe they kept their customer service and archives here.

This is the official line (although it seems to be a bit up in the air):

-----

Bob,

I have looked all through the ‘80’s and up through ’96 and do not find this number. However, I think the boots were made in 1996. I think they were made for only one year. Years ago, they stamped the last number of the year in the boots. I just can’t find this style number. It could have been a style that was introduced between catalogs, and discontinued before next catalog was printed.

The 1996 price lists I did check had this sequence of numbers. They were 2622, 2623, 2624 through 2626. The description showed the boots to be made from Bull-hide, which the grain on the boots does to appear to be a bull-hide skin. The boots have a J12 toe an H heel and a 13” upper.

I hope this is helpful.

Nancie Thomas
Justin Brands Archive Department

37032383551_b5bc4790d8_o.jpg

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a cowboy. Don't even drive a truck, I drive a prius. Plus I'm originally from.... NEW YORK CITY, "get a rope".
However, I have been wearing these Frye Ropers for about 25 years now, and they are still going strong. Nothing fancy (to say the least), low heel, comfortable, back when all Frye's were made in the USA. At the time I thought they were expensive, but I had not heard of Tony Lamas, or seen caymen boots. I like my old boots.

IMG_3036.JPG

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

Cheers! David

Those look great. Nothing fancy, just clean, well made good old fashion ropers. Looked on Tecovas site and couldn't find any. Its ok, I'm gonna put some new heels on my old fry's, shine em up and keep strutting. Oh, but now I'm going to have to cuff the selvedge jeans. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21