Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of snakeskin does anyone know how to mount one? Can a taxidermist do that? I have a black/white Kingsnake skin I'd like to make a belt out of. It's about 5-1/2' long. I skinned it out last summer, staked it out on a plank & salted the backside. Hope I didn't ruin it. I have a couple of smaller skins where that has worked but I have never done anything with them.
Greetings All:
HJ, i killed a good sized copperhead that tried to bite me when i was at Camp LeJeune NC long time ago. Couldn’t stand wasting the skin or memory. Went back 24 hrs later to get the carcass and the damn thing still snake wiggled around! Wierd!! Skinned it, salted the back side and pinned it to a piece of wood. I believe i used vasoline on the top side while it was “curing”. No Google back then. It did shrink some but was suprisingly pliable. Glued it to a leather strap with rubber cement i believe and used it as a hat band for a Smokey for a lotta years. Don’t know if that is how your suppossed to do it but it lasted a long time. Did i mention i hate snakes!!
Be well. Bowen

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greetings All:
HJ, i killed a good sized copperhead that tried to bite me when i was at Camp LeJeune NC long time ago. Couldn’t stand wasting the skin or memory. Went back 24 hrs later to get the carcass and the damn thing still snake wiggled around! Wierd!! Skinned it, salted the back side and pinned it to a piece of wood. I believe i used vasoline on the top side while it was “curing”. No Google back then. It did shrink some but was suprisingly pliable. Glued it to a leather strap with rubber cement i believe and used it as a hat band for a Smokey for a lotta years. Don’t know if that is how your suppossed to do it but it lasted a long time. Did i mention i hate snakes!!
Be well. Bowen
I have killed rattlers early in the morning and skinned them in early evening. Sometimes the heart was still beating. I have seen headless rattlers crawl to shade, weird. Some of the old timers say a buzz tail doesn't die till sundown.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Greetings All:
Be well. Bowen
Thanks Bowen. I checked my Kingsnake skin since the topic came up the other day & it seems to be pliable along the edge although I still have it staked out on a plank. I'll lose some length where it tapers down at the tail but I will have plenty of length to make either a belt or a guitar strap. Just need to decide & source the leather.

I have killed rattlers early in the morning and skinned them in early evening. Sometimes the heart was still beating. I have seen headless rattlers crawl to shade, weird. Some of the old timers say a buzz tail doesn't die till sundown.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Long story short, I killed a big snapping turtle eating grain in my barn some yrs ago. It had a shell that looked prehistoric & hissed at me like a dragon. I wanted that shell so after I killed it I took it out to the far corner of my property & wired it up high on a fence post to rot out. When I went to check on it a couple of wks later it was gone. I can only surmise something big enough to get it down wanted it for food. There are/were coyotes around but that's probably all that would be big enough. Never found the shell anywhere on my property.

Here's a pair of stitched vamp boots that have been on the bay for awhile. Stewart-Romero's are a rare find these days.
image.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-St...083417?hash=item5904d3df19:g:2uEAAOSwdGFYysMt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran