Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Dale, that's a good thought and one I hadn't considered. The one thing that makes me believe they're from this side is how refined the pegging is and it's all wood. Doesn't show up all that well in my photo.

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have been doing a lot of reading about what to wear cowboy boots with etc and I actually read something that says to avoid hats with them because it gives the total cowboy wannabe vibe???? I know you wear what the hell you want, but do boots/fedora just automatically give off that vibe?

Matt, not for me. I've been wearing boots most of my life and wear whatever hat I want. These days it's mostly fedoras as I got away from cowboy hats some years ago. (Don't hate me, Joao) It's just having confidence in what you wear. As they say, "wear the clothes, don't let them wear you".

ingineer

One Too Many
Let me interject, i'm no expert, like Bama, but have worn all kinds for several years now.
and i've been learned that the most important thing is good quality.
wear them with anything, other than shorts please
The cheap boots have all been consigned to the dumpster or the salvation army/ thrifts.
make sure they have steel shanks, are pegged, real leather shafts.
then they are always re-build-able
lets see if this page works for the pics
http://www.oocities.org/~tucsonboot/page6.html
Oh my have prices gone up, these were bought decades ago,
http://cowboychief.com/products/so-lucchese-classics-l3141-mens-saddle-tan-smooth-ostrich-roper-boot
still thinking about some gators

ingineer, thanks for chiming in. Well said, except I'm no expert. I just have a head full of useless information where every now and then something relevant will float to the top. Get some gators, I'm surprised how comfortable they are.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Matt, not for me. I've been wearing boots most of my life and wear whatever hat I want. These days it's mostly fedoras as I got away from cowboy hats some years ago. (Don't hate me, Joao) It's just having confidence in what you wear. As they say, "wear the clothes, don't let them wear you".
I don't hate you as long you have not converted any vintage western. ;) (you probably did...)
I wear whatever I feel comfortable with.

Joao, no conversions. I wouldn't do it.

Matt, TL' s can be pretty good boots. I have several pair in my collection. I'm a big fan of their 60's era boots, the El Rey editions and their Gold Label boots. Also, their signature series line is sweet. If you ever find any of these in your size at a reasonable price, their worth a look. Having babbled enough, look for TL black label boots, their US made. Stay away from the white label boots, Mexican made. Nothing wrong with SOME Mexican made boots, so long as their from a Mexican company.

ingineer

One Too Many
Concur the older ones are splendid ,newer all over the place TL=Juston now, lots of work boots.
Bamaboots; i was going to recommend Nocona esp as they have a lot of wide fits which are hard to find in the stores
Stumbled on to these used ones for cheap, worth a gamble i hope

do you remember the old folklore that each stitching was another 10 in price?

ingineer, yes I do. I am a Nocona fan, especially their older boots. The Nocona boots with the sewn in white label are good boots. Those you posted look especially nice. The homogenization of the big three after Berkshire-Hathaway took over changed the boot market for the average buyer forever. Not everyone is willing or capable to drop 1K or more on a pair of Lucchese Classics.

ingineer

One Too Many
These are Nocona MD8501, which should be USA made, not really a fan of the full quill, but in black they should be subdued.
!50 bucks i hope i'm not scammed but the elephants i have are indestructible
Thanks for all your advice here, hope Teach and Joao are waking proud

ingineer, I understand about the full quill ostrich. Took me some time before I warmed to them. I had to make myself wear them at first, causing me to question why I bought them in the first place. Between the smooth and the full quill I've had about eight pair over the years and still have four pair in my regular rotation. You'll find the full quill wear well and are as tough as d*****t. Almost as tough as elephant, but lighter and more flexible. The full quill breathes very well and I adjusted to the looks of them very quickly. Now, one of my favorite leathers.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
ingineer, yes I do. I am a Nocona fan, especially their older boots. The Nocona boots with the sewn in white label are good boots. Those you posted look especially nice. The homogenization of the big three after Berkshire-Hathaway took over changed the boot market for the average buyer forever. Not everyone is willing or capable to drop 1K or more on a pair of Lucchese Classics.

We often visit the Justin Factory store here in Ft. Worth, all three brands are happily sold there.

We've bought several pairs of boots there for various family members and I got some Nocona rather like Ingineer's.

I find that of the three, Nocona are by far the easiest to find a pair that actually fits.

A little late to chime in, but yeah, Tony Lamas are decent boots, just steer clear of the TLX performance stuff. I'll second Ingineer and Bama on the Noconas. The ones I own may be the best fitting pair of boots I have, and they come in more size options than most. For a first pair I'd say just about any of the big names would be a good place to start, just be sure they're traditionally constructed and can be rebuilt when you wear the soles down.

Bama, I was looking at the pegging on bottom of some of my boots, and my Son Quijotes, made in Leone, Mex., have some of the tidiest all wood pegging of any of my boots, and the sides of the soles at the arch is finished thin enough to slice a cheap steak. They are a top quality product. I think it's with the American brands that are made down there now where a lack of quality comes into play. Some of the old makers (and new) are true craftsmen.
Hell, I've got a pair of Luccheses that don't even have pegs, wood or brass. They've got fiberglass shanks, too. They were advertised as "airport friendly". Very comfy boots, and top quality leather, but the construction definitely shows they're resting on their laurels these days.

Joao - Sendra makes some pretty killer boots....in Spain. I'd think they wouldn't be too hard to come up with there in Portugal.

Dale, that's a good thought and your right about the Quijotes, they make some fine boots with finishing details as good as any. And the Quijotes are made by the Romero family, a long line of good bootmakers. I'm still on the hunt for a pair of Stewart-Romero boots for the collection. My thoughts were headed this way; there are a bunch of displaced bootmakers in TX due to cutbacks and a number of nameless garage and backyard makers around. The M. L. Leddy shop is located in San Angelo as well as a few others. We'll probably never know who the bootmaker is, that's what makes it fun sometimes. All about the hunt.

Bama.....all the out of work bootmakers hadn't even entered my mind. There's a very dark and ugly downside to the Berkshire Hathaway acquisition of Justin, and the conglomeration of the big name makers, that goes far and beyond unrepairable rubber "performance" soles. :(

Here's something you don't see everyday. Tietzel-Jones cowboy boots from the early 1900's. Saw these come up on eprey with a 2k starting bid. Pretty interesting history with this company. Tietzel was a cobbler in KS in the late 1800's and with partners went on to have a boot factory for awhile making boots like this. One of the later partners was a man named Dehner, you can still buy those. According to the seller, these boots are unworn. Sorry for the photo quality, pulled it from the sale page.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ingineer, they do have that Christmas look to them. I have only heard of Angelus but have no practical experience. I use Fiebing's and have been happy with it. It goes on thin and doesn't build up and flake off the way some others I have used do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR