Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

dh66, kaiser, thanks. Jay Griffith, of Griffith-Blucher fame, once said, the foot of a cowboy boot should have the shape of a Coke bottle or the curves of a womans body. I think these encompass that. kaiser, many custom made boots have what is very close to the spade sole.

Strolling around the bay this morning and spotted a spider. The only example of Tony Lama's like this I've ever seen. Thankfully, their not my size.
image.jpeg

The "spider" is an interesting pattern.

Yeah, RJR, I've seen the spider web done on some custom and factory boots before but never with the spider incorporated and never seen it on TL's before. Those are part of their Gold Label line so they're from the 80's.

ingineer

One Too Many
Bama; do you see what i see on Jame's Loredos?
there is not an inkling of a crease in the vamp, perhaps two sizes too big
the sole has no chance to flex

Bama; do you see what i see on Jame's Loredos?
there is not an inkling of a crease in the vamp, perhaps two sizes too big
the sole has no chance to flex

ingineer, I do now. Had to go back and look. I thought they may have been new at first. A lot of wrinkle in the shaft above the ankle but O in the vamp.

How do you know if a boot has a shank in it or not?

jamesmac, I agree with what ingineer said. Most boots and shoes we have, with the exception of athletic shoes have a shank in them for arch support. A good cowboy boot will have a steel shank contoured to follow the angle of the boot from the heel to where the sole meets the ground. The higher the heel the greater the angle of contour in the shank to support the arch of the foot.

On a good cowboy boot the arch area of the boot will also be rolled and pegged. This serves to secure the shank as well as to offer a bit of support to the outside and inside area in the arch of the foot. Your boots appear to have a low heel with a fully sewn welt and most likely have a flat steel shank for support, or even a synthetic one, offering little support to the arch of the foot.

ingineer, thanks for that post and link. My first time seeing it and it explains things much better than I could have. I must have been writing while you were postin that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner