Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

jamesmac1801

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the info . I don't have that much of an arch on my foot. What brand boots would you recommend? I want something comfortable that's not too expensive. I don't use my boots for working that much but I do a lot of walking in them.

jamesmac, I prefer US made boots and I've owned all the major brands. Tony Lama, Justin, And Nocona are all owned by the same outfit and many of their boots are made in Mexico and China. Arian is a popular brand but are owned by Reebok and made in China. Of the Big Three, mentioned above, many nice examples can be found online for reasonable expense.

If you have a brick and mortar store you can visit to try on differen brands and find what you like and what is comfortable to you, you may be able to find that same boot online for much less. I collect a few boots and Tony Lama boots, pre 1985 are some of my favorites. Also, many well made Mexican boots can be found online. I just prefer Mexican Co.'s making their own boots as opposed to the boots made in Mexico for US companies. I included a link to a sizing chart to help you determine your size if you order boots online. Feel free to ask questions, some of us on the FL (me) are more than happy to babble on about cowboy boots.

http://www.westernbootsales.com/index.asp

jamesmac, a little snug at first is ok, not tight. You should experience a little up and down heel slippage until the boot breaks in and that should go away. Never loose as the boot will never tighten up. At least 1/2" or more between the toes and the end of the boots depending on toe style, up to more than an inch if it is a narrow box (pointy) toe. Really important, is how the boot fits at the instep because this is what holds the boot in place. It should be snug there and the boot almost pops in place as you put your foot into it. No laces or anything else to hold the boot on ones foot.

Justdog

Practically Family
I haven't the slightest clue why, but recently I've had a desire to purchase a pair of cowboy boots.

It really doesn't fit with my style, which is exclusively khakis, collared shirt, fedora, but it is one of those itches... :kick:

I am just lucky I haven't happened across my size yet. How bad an idea is it? I was hoping I could depend on The Fedora Lounge to finally convince me not to go through with it and drop the idea all together.

028927rg4_000.jpg
038360rb1_000.jpg
It is an excellent idea. I wear 2 pairs, Both are Boulet. Very reasonable. Small heal made of soft deerskin. You might be surprised at how comfortable they are.

kyboots

Practically Family
jamesmac, a little snug at first is ok, not tight. You should experience a little up and down heel slippage until the boot breaks in and that should go away. Never loose as the boot will never tighten up. At least 1/2" or more between the toes and the end of the boots depending on toe style, up to more than an inch if it is a narrow box (pointy) toe. Really important, is how the boot fits at the instep because this is what holds the boot in place. It should be snug there and the boot almost pops in place as you put your foot into it. No laces or anything else to hold the boot on ones foot.
Want to emphasize the heel slippage should be there when new. Not tight in the heel.

Paul Bond Boots. Inlayed diamonds in the boot collars & mule ear pulls. Multi colored stitched tops. Tony Lama leather cowboy hat from the 1970's offered in black, black & white, red, red & white, turquoise. Pic is small but the hats had lots of stitch & inlay work on the brim & crown. The flat top crown was usually rolled & pleated, or stitched in a quilt pattern. Rare today & the turquoise is the rarest to find.

2el9mbq.jpga

Bama,

I do too but I might have bit off more than I can chew! It takes a big man to wear that much red where I live. Consequently this pair is not worn as much as they should be.

Bama,

I do too but I might have bit off more than I can chew! It takes a big man to wear that much red where I live. Consequently this pair is not worn as much as they should be.

Hurricane Jack, I wouldn't think twice about it. Folks will just be jealous. On the other hand, if you can't bring yourself to do it, you can always send them down south. :D

Fantastic looking boots Hurricane Jack! And that cowboy hat is choice!! I saw a black and white one years ago, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. It's a darn shame that the only hats with the TL name on them these days are overpriced cheap straw ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner