Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

RJR

Sort of,Barnie.I've not done other than send tracings and measurements to the western makers I've used.To the point;I have quite a few Russell Moccasin mocs,shoes& boots.I had occasion to be in their place years ago,quite an experience.Anyway,the corporate president himself visited with me,got down,traced and measured my feet.
With that info,he went into the darndest supply of lasts you can imagine and found the ones that were closest.They then modify,bondo,etc to produce your footwear.

Bama, every once in a while I too have to dip into what I call my "ulcer fund", for the relief & prevention of ulcers. It's a secret fund that no one else knows about.

Barnie Steffers

New in Town
Sort of,Barnie.I've not done other than send tracings and measurements to the western makers I've used.To the point;I have quite a few Russell Moccasin mocs,shoes& boots.I had occasion to be in their place years ago,quite an experience.Anyway,the corporate president himself visited with me,got down,traced and measured my feet.
With that info,he went into the darndest supply of lasts you can imagine and found the ones that were closest.They then modify,bondo,etc to produce your footwear.

Barnie Steffers

New in Town
Once saw a site where they would make a last based on your feet using some sort of 3D imaging. The last itself was a few hundred dollars. Probably would seek a last to be made if I were 40, but not at 60 :)

Sorry about the delay getting back.

Each bootmaker is going to know how he prefers to take his measurements & build up his lasts. If you like the style of a particular bookmaker and anticipate buying several pair from him over time then it is worth it to make a trip to him in person & have him take your measurements; maybe even handpick the hides for your first couple of pair.

Reactions: RJR

kyboots

Practically Family
I originally posted this in the work boot thread, but since the Red Wing 1155s are essentially cowboy work boots, I'm reposting here too:

I recently sold 2 pairs of western work boots on eBay -- Chippewa Arroyos and Red Wing 2231s, respectively. I'd had my eye on replacements for them for some time, and so Sunday afternoon I went to the Red Wing store and bought the 2 boots I said I was gonna get!

First, the 1155s:

Then the 875s (not cowboy boots, I know), which I even wore out of the store:

Pardon the dog hair that I only just now noticed on one of the boots (1st 875 photo)!

By the way, I also sold my pair of chocolate mad dog goat Luccheses (1883 brown label). I just never really liked them as much as my other 2 pairs of Luccheses (Classics black full quill ostrich and brown label 1883 tan ranch hand). I intend to replace them with a pair of tan mad dog goat Luccheses (1883 brown label).
Great look. Once you have Lucchese ostrich ( FQ ) how can you wear any other cowboy boots?

these just arrived, here are vendors pics
USA made Olathe nile crocs in black cherry
so hard to find good used boots in a true 1EE these seem to fit like like Lucchesses
everyone lies as to what they really are
i don't think these are camain, but not quite sure

Richard, good looking boots but you're right about sellers lying or just being ignorant of what they're selling. Here is one of the sites I use when trying to make the determination about crocodilians. I own two pair of American alligator belly boots and have handled numerous other pairs. From what I've seen, yours look like Nile crocs.

Great looking pair of crocs, Ingineer!! Nice color, really brings out the texture of the skins.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RJR

these just arrived, here are vendors pics
USA made Olathe nile crocs in black cherry
so hard to find good used boots in a true 1EE these seem to fit like like Lucchesses
everyone lies as to what they really are
i don't think these are camain, but not quite sure

Very nice,I've had really good experience with Olathe boots.

The good: For as long as I've been collecting vintage boots, I've been looking for a pair of these.
CIMG0980.JPG

They come up about as often as a Stetson Three-Way in pristine condition. I've skipped over a number of pair of these over the years because of condition, price or size. Last week a seller listed four pair at the same time, all in great condition and different leathers. The sizing was vague but I had my eye on a pair of ring tail lizards they offereed and I asked the seller for some measurements. Before she responded, two of the four pair were gone, including the ones I was inquiring about. The BIN was really reasonable.

This pair, I noticed, had something the seller hadn't listed, so I was pretty sure they hadn't noticed or weren't aware of, they had ostrich shafts as well as a FQ ostrich foot. So, before the seller responded to my inquiries, I went ahead and hit the BIN.

What arrived was a great pair of FQ ostrich boots, in a greenish/gray color in immaculate shape. Sixteen inches tall with the classic TX white side seam and collar piping.
CIMG0979.JPG
CIMG0981.JPG
CIMG0982.JPG
CIMG0983.JPG

The bad: Once they came in, I realized w/o looking closely, they weren't gonna fit but I knew I could get my money back easily, plus a little more with better photos and marketing. That is, until she came home, tried them on and decided they fit.

The good: I negotiated another hat or pair of boots out of these (I think).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner