Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

TipTop

Practically Family
YIKES; but mine was even dumber: Standing in my club locker room, wearing a pair of Chelsea boots (with elastic gores at the ankles), yakking, I tucked my left heel under my right foot and yanked...and proceeded to dislocate my left hip. With a huge clunk, it set back into place by the elasticity of the tendons etc., but not before stretching and scarring those tendons, for which I will now have to be eternally careful according to my orthopedist. And this was noontime, before lunch, much less "pops".

What we do for boots.....Take care of that toe.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a new-to-me pair of roach stompers I picked up from a fellow lounger that has been downsizing his collection.

Black Jack Shark
OqOavPQ.jpg

w9jkmZH.jpg

INbvhUO.jpg

bH3GuHB.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
Really like those; that matt finish is distinctive and the toe is the standard toe used in high-end bookmakers like JB Hill, Tres Outlaws and Lucchese Classics. etc.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's mine, a pair of Justin Ropers. Not as swish as some but I love them and super comfortable.

JustinRoper1_zps2b5e2bfd.jpg

One thing I hate is to take a flight with cowboy boots. The security makes me remove them to pass them in the x-ray machine. :(

Here in the States, thanks to the notorious 'shoe bomber', you have to remove your shoes to be x-rayed anytime you go through airport security, which is why I always wear cowboy boots to fly. No time spent unlacing and lacing.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Here in the States, thanks to the notorious 'shoe bomber', you have to remove your shoes to be x-rayed anytime you go through airport security, which is why I always wear cowboy boots to fly. No time spent unlacing and lacing.

If I wear sneakers, I don't have to remove them, just pass the metal detector.

frussell

One Too Many
Wyoming Deputy Resigns rather than forego his cowboy boots and hat: http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_72e7f1ac-5d59-5814-91ad-3e18bdea661e.html
I'm in agreement with the retiring deputy. What a load of horseship. You get rubber soles on your cowboy boots, they don't slip on ice any more than any other shoe. As far as cowboy hats blowing off, if that happens, you "ain't holding your mouth right," as Ben Johnson would have said. Any cowboy hat wearer worth a damn knows how to fit a hat where it won't blow off in any kind of weather, any more than a ballcap will. I've worn them in 60 mph gusts, and never had one blow off in my life. Sounds like the deputy was a local fixture, known for his look. A small town lawman should stand out, not look like one of those cops on the bicycles we have around here. They all look like security guards at Costco. Frank.

I'm in agreement with the retiring deputy. What a load of horseship. You get rubber soles on your cowboy boots, they don't slip on ice any more than any other shoe. As far as cowboy hats blowing off, if that happens, you "ain't holding your mouth right," as Ben Johnson would have said. Any cowboy hat wearer worth a damn knows how to fit a hat where it won't blow off in any kind of weather, any more than a ballcap will. I've worn them in 60 mph gusts, and never had one blow off in my life. Sounds like the deputy was a local fixture, known for his look. A small town lawman should stand out, not look like one of those cops on the bicycles we have around here. They all look like security guards at Costco. Frank.

Dead on Frank about the types of soles on boots. They are confusing fashion boots with REAL boots.
As far as hat blowing off, how many years have cowboy hats been staying on heads while rider is on the back of a running horse?
Truly horsedip...somebody high on power...

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
This pair will be boots I wear everyday. Once, I bought a pair of shoes that the salesman said would stretch and I ended up walking around the office in my socks all day. I'm not working in the office for a couple months and will be out in the field. The Nocona Cape Buffalo hide boots I have now I wear with either dungarees or my suits, but I don't want to be sloshing around in rain, mud and dirt with them and then having to spend an hour to clean them up when I put a suit on once a week. (It's always good to get high falutin' peoples reactions when they see a guy wearing a suit and cowboy boots.) So I want one pair for showin' and one for blowin'. Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to buying boots and the web pages don't tell me as much as I've learned just in the past 12 hours on this thread. When I buy shoes, boots and suits I try to get info from the good sources and then tell the salesman what I want. I've got a wide foot so I'm either getting the right size or nothing. Deerskin or Kangaroo? Sounds real good. I've never had either so now is the time to give it try. Made in Asia shoes I pass up, they never fit, are too small, even with a size bigger than USA sized shoes. So I have to have USA cowboy boots. (Canadian feet are similar to American so those would also work.)

I purchased a pair of Boulets about a year ago, and they are thoroughly roomy, exceptionally high quality, and look sharp as hell. I got the Grizzly Brown Deerskin with semi-round toe and Cuban heels. Comfy, and they include double layered insoles so that if you need more width, you can take out the insole and even go up size in width or a half-quarter size in length. All in all, one of my best and most used buys.

Oh, and despite their roomy fit and easy removal, there is no slippery feeling and my feet are suitably snug for either walking or riding without worry.

http://www.bootbarn.com/Boulet,-900...gle-_-Boulet-_-883023032896&kpid=883023032896

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I purchased a pair of Boulets about a year ago, and they are thoroughly roomy, exceptionally high quality, and look sharp as hell. I got the Grizzly Brown Deerskin with semi-round toe and Cuban heels. Comfy, and they include double layered insoles so that if you need more width, you can take out the insole and even go up size in width or a half-quarter size in length. All in all, one of my best and most used buys.

Oh, and despite their roomy fit and easy removal, there is no slippery feeling and my feet are suitably snug for either walking or riding without worry.

http://www.bootbarn.com/Boulet,-900...gle-_-Boulet-_-883023032896&kpid=883023032896

Those look really nice.

I've been bitten by the cowboy boot bug now after getting my first pair and now I want more, and those might just fit the bill. Thanks for the heads up.

Good looking boots Evan Everhart. I like the extra height, and the absence of any of the more traditional western stitching gives them a more versatile look.

Not that anyone should construe by that statement that I in any way, shape, or form that I have anything against the stitching. I'm from the 'wilder is better' school of thought, but those boots are cool in their simplicity. Not a strictly 'cowboy' look.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good looking boots Evan Everhart. I like the extra height, and the absence of any of the more traditional western stitching gives them a more versatile look.

Not that anyone should construe by that statement that I in any way, shape, or form that I have anything against the stitching. I'm from the 'wilder is better' school of thought, but those boots are cool in their simplicity. Not a strictly 'cowboy' look.

It's funny DH, just getting into cowboy boots, my first pair are a pair of ropers, now I want a slightly more western boot with Cuban heel. It won't be long at this rate and I'll be wanting a pair with the "full monty" ;)

It's funny DH, just getting into cowboy boots, my first pair are a pair of ropers, now I want a slightly more western boot with Cuban heel. It won't be long at this rate and I'll be wanting a pair with the "full monty" ;)

Like these?
131257b1e170b510f473882e66183f40.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Like these?
131257b1e170b510f473882e66183f40.jpg

Steady on mate, it might be a few years to reach that point :D

Those are seriously beautiful but I'll have to ease myself into the deep end of the pool bit by bit. I'm just a lowly beginner with this cowboy boot thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters