Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Aero 1930s Slim Fit Halfbelt in Russet Goat - Pictures!!!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Today my new Aero arrived. This is the order I placed in January: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?61512-Another-AERO-1930s-Slim-Halfbelt-Luftwaffe-Hybrid-Suggestions&highlight= The only change I made (actually before placing the order) was concerning the angle of the chest pockets.

The jacket is much lighter than the FQHH and feels much more comfy right out of the box. I prefer the look of the brown FQHH, though. I can tell nothing beats the patina the brown FQHH develops. The russet goat is still a stellar leather. Even if I find the FQHH more appealing to the eye the russet goat is much, much nicer to wear!

This time the fit is much better. I can easily layer a thick sweater underneath, so the jacket is going to be much more versatile than anticipated. Still it has that fitted look I like. My FQHH Halfbelt has slimmed down two-piece sleeves, and they are a little tight. This time I went with the standard sleeves as everybody said they are slimmer than the sleeves of a HWM. I find the upper arm portion of the sleeves to be a bit much. A bit less fabric would give it better proportions. But that's only a minor complaint. I also find that the batwing effect is much diminished this time, as the fit is much better. I also went with the standard longer front and actually like the look better than that of my other jacket where front and back have the same length.

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.jpg

For comparison with my 1930s Halfbelt in brown FQHH:
IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0681.JPG

Fit:
4%2520am%252008-05-2012%2520um%252013.19%2520%25233.jpg

4%2520am%252008-05-2012%2520um%252013.21%2520%25236.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
4%2520am%252008-05-2012%2520um%252013.20%2520%252312.jpg

4%2520am%252008-05-2012%2520um%252013.21%2520%25235.jpg

On the whole I am very pleased how the jacket turned out. :)

Last edited:

jksu

Familiar Face
congrats! beautiful jacket!

i was considering looking for a goat jacket myself after reading about its comfort and durability. fqhh is definitely stiff to drive in...

nice to see how gorgeous goat can be and to see it on a non a2. your russet is darker than some i've seen - which I like. seems pretty close to the brown fqhh. thanks for showing them together for comparison.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks jksu.

The russet goat and brown FQHH are altogether different beasts. It's difficult to capture the exact colour. I think the pic with the collar detail comes closest.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
These pics give a better idea of the colour:

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.jpg

Made by Vicki, just like my first jacket.
IMG_0684.JPG

The jacket is lined with the mustard coloured A-2 summer cotton. All pockets are lined with brown cotton drill.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful jacket. It gets me pumped as I just ordered a 30's Slim Fit half belt in seal brown goatskin. When you say:
My FQHH Halfbelt has slimmed down two-piece sleeves, and they are a little tight.

do you mean that you requested the two-piece sleeves be a little tighter than normal or that the two piece sleeves are tighter in general? I ask as I requested 2-piece sleeves.

Edward

Bartender
Gorgeous! I wish they could get the goat in black (I asked Amanda - they can only get it in seal or russet). I'd definitely go for my black halfbelt in goat if they could. Already have a brown one in FQHH and can't justify a second brown one... eh, well. I do have plans for a significantly custom Bootlegger in russet goat, though, when funds allow... With the black halfbelt, when I can afford it, I'm going to opt for Hartmann style pockets on the bottom in place of handwarmers, though. What kind of size are they?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I asked for tighter than normal sleeves. They are okay in the upper arms while the lower arms are a tad tight - with a sweater. Without sweater they are fine. Due to the much stiffer FQHH arm movement seems a little restricted, though. My new goat feels much better in that respect.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Edward, they are just big enough to get my fists in. I just realized that Vicki changed the pocket design a little. The pocket flaps of the goat jacket are a little scalloped and a bit wider (see pics above). They are 14.5 cm wide whereas the pocket flaps of the FQHH are 13 cm wide.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Rudie. I have a LHB in FQHH with the alpaca lining. Beautiful coat, but very stiff and very warm. The stiffness will subside (and if it's stiff for more than 4 hours, you should call a doctor), but I wanted my next Aero to be much more lightweight. I went with goatskin and requested the lightest weight tartan possible. If you don't me asking, how tall are you and how long are the sleeves (just to help with my specs)?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Grayland, I am 186 cm with very long arms. Sleeve length is 28". Probably much too long for you.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, they are just big enough to get my fists in. I just realized that Vicki changed the pocket design a little. The pocket flaps of the goat jacket are a little scalloped and a bit wider (see pics above). They are 14.5 cm wide whereas the pocket flaps of the FQHH are 13 cm wide.

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind when it comes time to order. Based on experience with my existing jacket, if they were big enough to hold a phone/ ipod / WHY, it'd be more use to me than the handwarmer pockets. I like the look of the handwarmers as a detail, I just never use them (shortness of the jacket means I'm more comfortable with hands in trousers pockets).

Also never hurts to have a few little details that differentiate one jacket from the next. Not that I have a Higher Power to whom to answer on jacket purchases as do some in these parts, but still... ;)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great Joppe, Rudie! Darauf 'nen Schulti! Well done!

For some reason I'd never thought about getting a jacket in russet goat but your jacket is very tasty....mouthwatering in fact. Good slim fit (not blousy at all!!) and superb pictures as usual!
I hope you'll get a couple of more cool days to actually wear it. Too warm for a leather jacket here at the moment...

andy richards

Practically Family
That is a real good looking jacket and it fits you excellent, Rudie. Love the colour, lining and overall build of this beauty.
Enjoy and wear it in good health.
Andy

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!

What makes the big difference in fit is that it's a hybrid between a size 40 and a 38. Shoulders are size 40 but below the armholes it's tapered down to a 38. My FQHH jacket is a size 40 all the way and it just doesn't fit my frame. It's okay in the shoulders but much too loose in the body. I can wear a ball underneath it like Cole could with his recent FQHH A-2. I love the jacket with all the custom specs and the lovely leather, but each time I wear it I feel bad about it as it just doesn't fit right.

The new jacket is different. I can tell I'll get a kick each time I don it because it fits so well. ;)

And I love those little flap pockets. I don't think anybody else has them and they add that certain something that sets the jacket apart from the rest.

Metatron

One Too Many
I think it echoes the French and German cyclist type jackets that were often worn by Luftwaffe pilots...

Fantastic jacket, the colour is perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo