Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Aero 1930s Slim Fit Halfbelt in Russet Goat - Pictures!!!

I think it echoes the French and German cyclist type jackets that were often worn by Luftwaffe pilots...Fantastic jacket, the colour is perfect.
I agree. I was trying to come up with something that I had in my head and that's it! Very cool period-looking jacket. And your physique probably matches the guys who wore them waaaaaay back then :) Congrats!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
What they said. My aim was to create a mix between the French cycliste/Luftwaffe style and a 1930s halfbelt.

I wore it today at 20°C with a shirt and thin sleeveless sweater underneath and felt comfy. I even zipped it up. I think I'll be able to wear it nearly year round except for the hottest days of summer. In my FQHH jacket I would have been steamed to death.

pauleway

Practically Family
Rudie,
Beautiful jacket. I have the same Russet Goat in a 50's Half-Belt. Mine is a thicker (and a little stiffer) goatskin than other goat jackets that I own. When worn a little, the pebble grain will show even more. Congrats on a fine piece of leather!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everybody for the positive feedback. Luckily the temperature dropped a little so I have some more days to wear the jacket.

Do any of you Loungers have had an Aero goat jacket for a longer period of time? I know it doesn't develop as much of a patina as the FQHH and looks new much longer. But I'd be interested in seeing pics that show how the goat leather (especially in russet) ages. Please feel free to post some pics (Aero goat only, please). :)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Im happy to see that you got pleased this time.
The jacket and fit looks very nice!

I have the seal goat and have used it "hard" for 2 years and there is only slight patina on very few places. I have to really look for it to see it. GF thinks this is ideal, i like both.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Griff.

I think the goat is ideal for the more dapper look (think Howard Hughes) with shirt and tie and creased trousers. The FQHH with its rugged look and patina looks better in my mind with workwear, khakis or jeans than with worsted trousers and tie. I like both looks.

I definitely don't need another halfbelt now that I have one that fits so well. ;) If I should ever buy another leather jacket it would be a Barnstormer in brown FQHH. But only after selling my FQHH halfbelt first. I don't see that coming for quite a while, though.

Me Aero Bronco A-2 in cape looks great, but it doesn't get the same look as a HH jacket does. That may or may not be a plus, depending on what you like. For me, I'm partial to the look HH gets. But goat is more comfortable for the first couple years too.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Definitely. I love the look of HH. But you're right about the comfort level. Even if my FQHH jacket fit as well as my goat jacket it would be nowhere near as comfortable. I am very glad I opted for the russet goat this time. I think it's more versatile and I can wear it in a broader range of temperatures.

A jacket that large is probably way more comfy in goat, unless you get a lightweight HH. Also, you're built like my son, and I think a heavy HH jacket is tougher for him to wear. It's too heavy and looks better on a beefier build. Goat drapes nicely on you trim fellas. :)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Ah. Thanks.

BTW, this beauty is up for grabs at Aero's right now. So if anybody is interested in a russet goat half belt, here's your chance to save some money.

http://aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=918
9164fb536cf1401a_s1967-500.jpg

When I ordered mine half of the specs somehow got lost. Apart from the lining, the two inside pockets and the larger, pointier collar all specs were lost and we just found out that something was wrong, when we were discussing payment and I mentioned that the price was higher because of the 2" leather strip at the hem and the leather lined cuffs. So they made a new jacket for me with all the customization I had specified.

If the jacket fits anything like my own jacket it should work well for tall, slim guys with long arms. I am 186 cm, 40" chest, 32/33" waist, and really long arms. Like in really long. If that sounds like you, go grab yourself a bargain. ;)

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Rudie, I think you have excellent taste. I enjoy reading your threads and replies, and also seeing pictures of some very well designed jackets with unique features.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Gambetto!

While being in Switzerland for a holiday my beautiful jacket was damaged. The inside pocket studs are so tight and have such a sharp edge that one of them sliced the leather when I was trying to open the pocket. Look at that mess!

IMG_0785.jpg

So after a mere month of enjoying this jacket I had to send it back to Aero for repairs. I asked them to replace the studs (the undamaged side as well) with the easier working ones used for the throat latch. On the up side this gives me the opportunity to have the horn buttons replaced as well, as I like the contrast of darker buttons better.

At least I found out, that the 30s Half Belts are ideal for riding:

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

at Mount Säntis
IMG_0745.jpg

near Zurich
IMG_0738.JPG

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No doubt about it. It will take a while, though. Amanda told me they are flooded with orders and repairs. I'll probably have it back by autumn.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Rudie, you and are are similar in height (I am between 6'1" and 6'2"), and both you and I have long arms and long legs, and somewhat short torso in relation to our height, although your arms are even longer than mine. A 28" sleeve would come down past my knuckles. I generally wear a 44 long sports coat and just received a 44 Highwayman (26"back and 26" sleeves) from Amanda earlier this week. If you look at my post yesterday, you can see that I could easily go with 27" sleeves, likely ideal for me.

I also have an Aero Bronco A-2 in russet goatskin and mustard cotton lining in size 48 with 28" back and 28" arms that is too big for me and and have hardly worn it at all. I also have an Aero Highwayman in brown goatskin that I gave to my son who is 6'4"+ and 240 pounds that is also too big for me but fits him perfectly. Anyhow, my experience is that goatskin changes very little over time, unlike cowhide and horsehide. I will show a couple of pictures of my Aero A-2 Bronco in 48 Long below for comparison with your jacket.

cfe20a0d.jpg

d3956626.jpg

Lungomare

A-List Customer
No doubt about it. It will take a while, though. Amanda told me they are flooded with orders and repairs. I'll probably have it back by autumn.

A nearly new jacket, and the repair's waiting time is a few months???

In my opinion this is unreasonable too long!

Aero should extend their staff in order to provide an adequate custom service.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Then their prices would probably have to be raised again... I wouldn't wear it that much during the summer, anyway. As long as I have it back when jacket weather rolls around I'm fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred