Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom halfbelt, need advice.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Hi.

I'm getting a 1930's halfbelt but I have some questions about the modifications.

I really want to skip the handwarmer pockets and only have chest zippered pockets.
But I wonder If its gonna look too bare.

The CafeRacer works with just the chestpockets and the jackets will be the same length so there is no reason it shouldn't work.
Still, I haven't really been able to let it go in my head, so what do you think?

Is the jackets too different and it will look weird without the handwarmer pockets, or will it work?

The other thing is I'm gonna go with a plain back and a yolk (no fake halfbelt)
I was set for a straight yolk like on the suburban, but my gf really likes the 1930 yolk.
Thinking about it, I do too! :D
What do you think, will it work with the standard yolk or will it look weird without the halfbelt?
I really don't want yet another Highwayman yolk so...

Edward

Bartender
I don't think that a curved yoke as on the Thirties Halfbelt would necessarily look wrong without the halfbelt on the back. I have a similar yoke on a vintage black leather trench coat (alas, no photos of the back at present). Here's one on a Perfecto-style jacket, again with no halfbelt:

foJsmA7nvnra2vbra6IJvAfIo1_400.jpg

(Sorry it's blurry, it's a DVD screen grab on a website). Obviously yours won't have the other decoration, but look past that... I don't see any reason why it couldn't work.

As to the front, I see no reason why lack of handwarmer pockets would be an issue. I like the ones on mine as a detail, but I never use them, and really they're not that big a detail - it's not like you're considering removing the patch pockets on an A2. (I would be tempted, myself, to add a single patch pocket on the left, mid chest - think like a B2.... in place of all of the front pockets).

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I was initially set to order another caferacer but the cut doesn't really fit me. So Im trying to make a clean halfbelt in the same manner.
I like clean jackets and always though some of the halfbelts I have seen here had no handwarmer pockets, but looking back all of them do, they are just hard to detect sometimes.
This is one reason why I got sceptical.

The ace rocker also have the same kind of yolk, and without the halfbelt I'm worried the jacket will look too rocker.
With the halfbelt it looks too raincoaty for me.

As I said I was initially thinking of a straight yolk, but It might look too motorcycle.

:D

Edward

Bartender
I thought of the Rocker, actually.... it is very much after the style of the jackets worn by Rockers / Bikers in the UK in the Fifties - at least as common in that cut as the Perfecto style (actually moreso if the photos I've seen are accurate, I think). Might be one to look at as a basis - in fact, if memory serves when I looked at it in detail via the photos on the Aero website, the two collared jackets in the Ace line are very similar to the Fifties halfbelt in many respects.

Another question... are you specifically looking for a black jacket? If not, I don't imagine it's likely to look too "Rocker". Among that community black leather was (and still is) so de riguer as to be effectively uniform. Of course, even if you go with black there are other details that would lean away from the rocker look - brass (whether antique or shiny) appointments as opposed to chrome, for one.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I've seen a lot of these, both vintage and new. I think I've only ever seen one without a chest pocket and it just didn't look "right." You could give it a shot, but I'd be wary...

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Did you see my post? I think zipper side pockets are the way to go to avoid the "phantom shelf" effect. Take a look a the cafe racer halfbelt back. It has two buckles on each side, a very sharp looking back. I think the belt is great! It's something that really stands out about Aero jackets. I bought my 1930's half belt off the rack last weekend. If I were custom ordering one, then I would go with a tad longer jacket. Also, try to order arms that have extra grained hides for flexibility right off the bat. One of my arms is grained and the other is not. The grained arm is very flexible right off the rack, whereas the other will take years to break in properly. Why not be nice to yourself and ask for grained inside panels on both arms. The inside panel is the one you will notice most. It creases where your arm bends and also in your arm pit. One the side without graining, my armpit does hurt from being poked with hard horsehide that is not yet pliable. My left armpit feels fine, however. It is also easier to take off the coat from the left side due to soft grained-grained up hide that is a true pleasure. I have a bruise in my right armpit from the hide that does not bend yet too well. It will be fine in time, but breaking it in is indeed a little painful, quite literally.

Also, if you don't have big shoulders and arms, give Aero your bicep measurement and shoulder measurement for sure. They tend to make jackets that are bodybuilder big on top. Also, have them reinforce the bottom of your jacket with extra thick hide. The bottoms of the jackets can curl up if they get wet and then dry off enough times.

If you ride motorcycles, here's an idea: Have Aero make make the two front pockets vents with a mesh in front of them, or leave them open with holes in the liner. Also you might opt to put vents in the arms and on each side of the back. Then you've got a jacket that you can wear in the summer, as well, on moderate days, while riding. If you ride, I've also heard Aero will put inside pockets in the liner for soft armor at no extra charge, FYI.

I think the attachable fur collar is a good idea, but have them make it smaller and in real fur, not mouton. Aero tends to make overly big "fur" collars. If you are going for a retro 1930's look, then an attachable fur collar is the way to go. Very distinctive, and it can dress up your jacket for a night out that includes more formal attire for more than simply casual occasions, etc. An attachable fur collar makes the coat more versatile for not much extra money.

If you've already got a highwayman, then I think you might regret not getting a half belt. It's something that is quite distinctive and makes your Aero look even more unusual in a good way. The cafe racer half belt is a great alternative to the 1930's slimming half belt. And if you happen to walk through a 1960's movie set with a shoot in progress, then nobody will notice lol. Hey, you might think I'm kidding, but when I lived in the East Village of New York City, I was quite irritated by how many films were done smack dab in the middle of my walking route to work over an eight year period. On very cold winter days or days when I was late to work, I would not walk half way up the block only to find the street blocked off for a shoot, and then backtrack my way back again and then up another block due to a film being shot. Instead, I would walk right through the shoot and make a point never look at the cameras and never to look at the actors being filmed. This pissed off the set "bouncers" but they never stopped me using physical force. Who knows, I might have ended up in a few films that way. I never really gave the matter much thought until now.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Hehe that was funny. Yeah you might be In a few movies :D Wonder what jackets you were wearing at the time.

Well, I do like the halfbelt look in itself, its a cool look. But it doesn't really work for me and with the rest of my clothes at this time.
I might get another one at a later stage tho.

Right now I just want the slimfit style of the halfbelt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR