Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hide briefcases

brucewilcox

New in Town
I spoke with a UPS representative this morning who had called me to ask if I was "experiencing problems" with this shipment, to which I replied "Well, I haven't received it." I let him know that I've been in town and have returned home every weekday in May, and that the business in the front of my building that received deliveries for me confirmed that nothing's come in for me this month. The UPS rep apologized and let me know they'd pass this along to the vendor.

I'd not received the tracking number for this order until UPS left it for me in a voicemail message yesterday, but now I'm able to look up this shipment. My delivery too only shows billing info received and the tracer started.

I'm not sure what to think. Even with Ground shipping, doesn't UPS usually track info such as the item being picked up from the vendor and leaving one facility and arriving at another? I think it's odd that we have two (or three?) cases where UPS has no record of physically receiving the packages from Custom Hide, especially when, I believe, UPS was notified of the shipments from Custom Hide on different dates (mine was May 11).

I'm really hoping to not have to resort to asking for my money back. To my knowledge there's nothing else on the market in the is price range that has exactly the features I'm looking for, so I can't easily turn to another vendor. I'm confident I could receive my money back, but I'd really prefer to have the briefcase. All this is giving me an uneasy feeling, however, about Custom Hide's ability to deliver their products and keep their customers well informed of the process.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I just got off the phone with Custom Hide. Please take this as unconfirmed, because they are still checking. It appears that they may have an employee problem in their shipping department. Product is missing, and the forms that the UPS driver signs when making a pickup are also missing - it doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. That, on top of having their foreman die, would be a major stress for any business.

The man I talked with apologized profusely, and offered me a full refund, or to make it again and put my name on the top of the list. I took the "make it again" option. He estimated 10 to 14 days from today. I told him that I would be quite happy with that.

Custom Hide has built a good reputation here on this forum and on others that I have read, and from all I can tell, they are working hard to keep that reputation. I would encourage anyone who has a pending "shipped" order to contact them and get it straightened out. They will work with you, they're trying to get this straightened out, and they are doing everything they can to maintain their reputation for quality and service - at least as far as I can tell. Would I do it again, knowing what I know now? At this point, yes.

When mine arrives, I will, as promised, give a thorough review on this thread along with photos for those who have been asking.

brucewilcox

New in Town
I received the following message today:

----------

UPS had just informed us that they have been unable to locate your package and the tracer has been closed. We have started a priority production on a replacement and will complete and ship it to you latest by Friday, June 4. If you do not wish to wait any longer, we understand, and are ready to issue you a full refund and truly apologize for not being able to deliver your order.

Sincerely,
Custom Hide

----------

That's fast - I just spoke with UPS this morning. I'm very pleased with this response, and asked the folks there to go ahead with the replacement.

The possible shipping room problem reported by Colonel would seem to make sense in light of what we've been experiencing. If that's true it's unfortunate that an otherwise good company like Custom Hide should have to deal with both the loss of a key employee and the loss of several substantial items for which they've had to invest time and expense. I wish them well as they continue their operations.

I'll report back is I hear more or when the replacement briefcase arrives (with photos if possible).

BW

brucewilcox

New in Town
brucewilcox said:
I received the following message today:

UPS had just informed us that they have been unable to locate your package and the tracer has been closed. We have started a priority production on a replacement and will complete and ship it to you latest by Friday, June 4. If you do not wish to wait any longer, we understand, and are ready to issue you a full refund and truly apologize for not being able to deliver your order.

Sincerely,
Custom Hide

I just received an email message from Customhide letting me know that my replacement custom briefcase is ready, but that they didn't quite make the UPS shipping cutoff time today. They offered to ship USPS Priority tomorrow or UPS on Monday. I'm very pleased with their efforts to rectify the missing original order and the speed at which they prepared a replacement, and I'm not concerned in the least that they didn't get it out today. Whatever misgivings I had when the whereabouts of the first bag were unknown have been taken care of by their prompt communication with me of late.

Now, to await the briefcase's arrival next week...

BW

Craig362

New in Town
Custom Hide 1945 US Army Briefcase arrived

Just to let you know my 1945 US Army briefcase arrived today. I too was a victim of the recent problems experienced by Custom Hide. I was offered a full refund but chose to wait. I must say the wait was worth it, as the bag is even nicer than I expected.

I also want to mention that the gentleman who I spoke to apologized profusely for the problems in getting my order to me.

I wish Custom Hide the very best as their product is exceptional.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Happy first post! Can we see a couple of pics, please?

Despite all of the troubles with Custom Hide recently, as of right now, I honestly would have no issue in ordering from them. :)

univibe88

One Too Many
Craig362 said:
Here are pics of my briefcase.

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Looks great!

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the posting the photos. I just received an email today saying that my replacement briefcase is currently in production, is scheduled for completion on Saturday and will be shipped out on Monday. I will be sure to post photos, including detailed closeups. Mine is a custom one, so it is a bit different than the one shown. Mine will have two sections rather than the three section one shown. I also had them leave off the key latch (secures with the buckle straps only), and I had them leave off all of the inside pockets. Like the one shown here, mine is also monogrammed.

brucewilcox

New in Town
The briefcase arrived, but...

My Custom Scholar Laptop Large with backpack straps and umbrella pocket arrived on time on the 10th. I'm very impressed with Custom Hide's fast response once it had been determined that my original bag was missing.

However...there's a problem with the bag, and I'm sending it back for a replacement. Much of the edge binding has a dark stain along the edge, which really shows up against the Whisky colored leather:

7512_1.jpg

7512_2.jpg

7512_3.jpg

7512_4.jpg

I emailed these photos to Custom Hide and was told that the stains may be from their sewing machines. I was also told that they may be able to remove the stains, or that they could replace the binding, replace the entire bag, or issue me a refund, entirely my choice. I also called and the gentleman I spoke with was friendly, accommodating and helpful.

Aside from the stains I noticed that the edge of the binding and the stitching are not as precise as they are on my other Custom Hide bag: I own a Classic Briefcase that was made about five years ago, in Brown rather than Whisky - notice the precision of the cutting and stitching:

7512_5.jpg

7512_6.jpg

I've been in a quandary about that to do. This is a beautiful briefcase otherwise, and I very much like the Whisky color. However, the stained edges stand out so much to my eyes that I felt my only option if I keep the bag would be to try to darken its entire surface, and I'm not sure how evenly I could do this (and I'd also lose the beauty of the Whisky color).

I've also noticed that the surface of the this bag's material is much softer than that of my older Classic Briefcase. I've always been impressed with how relatively scratch-resistant my Classic has been - after a few years of use you still have to look closely to see any scratches. I don't know if the Brown leather in current use has the same type of surface, but after examining this bag in Whisky I'm finding I'm preferring the Brown of my Classic.

I feel bad about Custom Hide incurring additional cost given all that they've had to deal with over the last few months. I wouldn't return the bag just over a color preference (although I'm sure that Custom Hide would allow this), but I feel that the stains warrant a return and exchange. I've decided to go for a standard Convertible Laptop Scholar in Brown.

After all this, I'm still a fan of Custom Hide. In spite of the quality control issues seen in this bag, I'm pleased with the company's willingness to try to make things right by offering repair, replacement or refund.

I'll continue to report as this progresses.

BW

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the report, BW. It sounds like you've weighed out the alternatives well and come up with a good solution. Mine (in brown) was scheduled for completion yesterday and for shipping tomorrow (Monday). I, too, have been very well impressed with the way that Custom Hide has handled all of this. That kind of honesty and integrity and customer service is rare these days, and I am all for supporting it as much as possible. Thank you for doing the same.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I've expressed interest in ordering a custom one from them, and gave them some specs so they could give me a quote. That was well over two months ago. When they didn't respond after two weeks, I sent them a message asking if they got the specs, and they said they were busy, but didn't forget me. Should I ask them again now, or just wait it out?

brucewilcox

New in Town
fluteplayer07 said:
I've expressed interest in ordering a custom one from them, and gave them some specs so they could give me a quote. That was well over two months ago. When they didn't respond after two weeks, I sent them a message asking if they got the specs, and they said they were busy, but didn't forget me. Should I ask them again now, or just wait it out?

I'm under the impression that the company is working to recover from two substantial events: The loss of the person responsible for most of their custom work for the past several years and possible problems with staff in their shipping department. They may be very reluctant to make time commitments that they may not be able to keep right now.

This is probably the time to be patient with them, at least up to a point - I've decided to not go with a Whisky bag right now given the issues shown in the photos above. Fortunately I also really like the darker Brown. They're continually demonstrating to me a commitment to good customer service, however, and I have faith that they'll be able to catch up with their orders and work out the kinks in their manufacturing. I'm still behind them.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I received my Custom Hide briefcase today! I have looked it over carefully, and I can honestly say that I can find absolutely nothing that I would change regarding materials and workmanship - it is all first class. After reading a previous post, I looked carefully at the accuracy and uniformity of the stitching, and I could not find anyplace on it that looked even the least bit off.

My only disappointment is one of my own doing. I requested it without the brass latch in the center. When it is carrying a load, the middle sticks out a bit between the two buckle straps. I had not anticipated that. Not a bit deal at all, but I wish I had thought of that. I need to emphasize that this was exactly what I requested, and it is entirely my responsibility and not theirs. I say this to caution others who may be thinking of the same design.

The standard is either a three compartment or a one compartment. I had mine built with two compartments, and for me, this is the ideal size. The three compartment would be too big and the one compartment too small for what I normally carry.

I will post photos as soon as I can get to it, but I wanted to get a quick report in.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks for the report! I'm still feeling confident about them. I'm still wondering if I should send them a friendly email to just remind them I'm still waiting for a quote. [huh]

Colonel

One of the Regulars
fluteplayer07 said:
Thanks for the report! I'm still feeling confident about them. I'm still wondering if I should send them a friendly email to just remind them I'm still waiting for a quote. [huh]
I wouldn't hesitate at all to do that. I have my own business, and there have been more than a couple of times when a customer request or question has gotten "lost in the shuffle". I always appreciate hearing back from a customer in a case like that. I think they would appreciate hearing back from you and you would be progressing toward your purchase. Do it!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
1945 Army Briefcase

I re-emailed them, and they got back to me and apologized for forgetting. The quote was $400 total for the changes; which was increasing the rear compartment by one inch, adding a couple of pockets, another business card holder, changing the color of the liner leather, and I'm waiting to see what they have to say as far as a reinforced strap. I'm thinking of doing this. I said I'd give an official decision in a couple days, but I think I've already decided. I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

Edit to add: What are the other colors they offer? I know Black, Brown, Whiskey; but I've heard they do something like a Burgundy; and I've also seen a Veggie tanned light tan on the custom section of their site. Anyone care to fill me in on the colors?

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters