Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hide briefcases

JackLondon

New in Town
Scholar bag

I own a brown scholar. I've had it for years. It's a very durable bag, but I've had two problems with it. The finish rubs off easily. If I wear it over my shoulder, the bag rubs against my pants as I walk and the brown stain finish rubs off onto my pants, which ruins them. Also, the straps are cut very long. When I set the bag down, the end of the straps get pushed up and the buckle tang can slip from the strap hole. This can be very difficult to set right again.

bty1970

New in Town
Gentlemen,

I just signed up for the Fedora Lounge as I am about to order a Customhide 1945 US Army Briefcase and already received a lot of useful information. Many thanks for that.

It looks like Colonel's one is the one I would like to go for :)

But before ordering I would like to get more information (perhaps Colonel could provide us more pictures also taken outside at daylight) and to discuss some modifications with you.

I also would like to get the briefcase with two compartments only. Enough to stand alone not too much to carry.

How about the inner pockets. Should I leave them all away or should I go at least for the pen-holders and a small business card holder?

I am thinking of having glossy nickel hardware. What do you think?

The picture on Customhide's webpage shows the straps and edges without the stitched trim whereas all the people ordering now recieve briefcases with stitched edges and stitched straps. I think it look more authentic without the stitching around. What do you tkink? Will the leather last even without stitched edges?

The bended handle on Customhide's webpage looks very nice. Will the handle bend from time to time or should I order a bended handle (I hope handle is the right expression).

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Rudy

Colonel

One of the Regulars
bty1970 said:
Gentlemen,

I just signed up for the Fedora Lounge as I am about to order a Customhide 1945 US Army Briefcase and already received a lot of useful information. Many thanks for that.

It looks like Colonel's one is the one I would like to go for :)

But before ordering I would like to get more information (perhaps Colonel could provide us more pictures also taken outside at daylight) and to discuss some modifications with you.

I also would like to get the briefcase with two compartments only. Enough to stand alone not too much to carry.

How about the inner pockets. Should I leave them all away or should I go at least for the pen-holders and a small business card holder?

I am thinking of having glossy nickel hardware. What do you think?

The picture on Customhide's webpage shows the straps and edges without the stitched trim whereas all the people ordering now recieve briefcases with stitched edges and stitched straps. I think it look more authentic without the stitching around. What do you tkink? Will the leather last even without stitched edges?

The bended handle on Customhide's webpage looks very nice. Will the handle bend from time to time or should I order a bended handle (I hope handle is the right expression).

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Rudy
I am getting mine ready to ship back to Custom Hide to have the latch installed, so I'm afraid I can't supply any photos at this time.

The handle was curved when I got it. It is very comfortable to carry and I have found nothing that might improve it. Just let them make the handle as they normally do.

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding stitched edges, but mine looks just like I would want it to look, and I see no place where the thread might be exposed to any wear. Keep in mind that the weakest part is not the leather, but the thread. It should last just fine.

The inner pockets are purely a personal preference. I got mine with no sewn-in pockets and I'm glad I did it that way. I have never found those sort of pockets useful - they seldom fit correctly unless it happens to perfectly match whatever pen or other item you are using. Other reasons I do not like sewn-in pockets: the zippered pocket that I use is far more flexible for carrying things, and leather pockets limit what you can carry in that particular part of the briefcase. The biggest reason though, is that I keep my main fountain pen in my pocket, and the ball point and pencil stay in the zippered pouch since they are very seldom used.

Items I keep in the pouch: mints, pen and pencil in a leather case, assorted USB drives, hand sanitizer, spare business card case (with cards), paper clips, a few 3x5 cards, and aspirin. Occasionally I will also carry a Pocket Ref (engineering geeks will know what that is).

I prefer brass hardware, but again, that is just personal preference. If they have to find a full set of matching hardware, and they don't normally keep that in stock, expect it to increase the price and the wait time. It's not just the buckles, it is also the rivets.

The two section case is just perfect for my use. If, for some reason, I had to choose between the one compartment and the three compartment, then I would definitely go with the one compartment. Having the choice though, the two compartment is great.

It comes with a nice shoulder strap, but I have never used it. The only think that I have added is a military dog tag to the ring where the shoulder strap would normally attach.

bty1970

New in Town
Thank you Colonel for your remarks.

With stitched edges I mean the trim around the "open leather" on edges and straps. The original picture from Customhide's website shows no stitched trim. The briefcases customer receive show those stitched trims. I hope the picture can demonstrate what I mean. You need to zoom in the picture then you can see red stitches I inserted.

Do yout think the briefcase will get this patina as shown on Customhide's website?

May I ask the for price of the two-compartments-briefcase?

Thank you very much.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Mine does not have any stitching around the flap - there is nothing there to stitch since it is a single layer of leather. You could specify that if you wanted stitching there though. The straps are now a double layer of leather stitched together - you can see this in the photos that I posted of mine earlier on this thread.

I paid $304 for mine.

I'm not sure what you mean by the patina on the leather. It is a flat finish, and scratches and scuffs show on the leather. Some folks might not like that, but I do. I have another leather item with the same type of leather, and I like the "character" that it accumulates over time.

bty1970

New in Town
Oh, I couldn't see that your briefcase has no stitching around the flap. As the straps are double layer the only way to keep them together are obviously stitching. But if I have a look at the picture on Customhide's website the straps do not have any stitching.

Yours has no stitching around the flap?

The patina is what we call it in Germany when the leather gets scratches and scuffs from time to time. I think this makes the briefcase to a unique piece and I like it.

I am wondering how less you paid. They offered me the two compartment model with glossy nickel hardware and the full length zipper closure for 369$ whereas the three compartment model is listed for 319$ on their website.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
bty1970 said:
Oh, I couldn't see that your briefcase has no stitching around the flap. As the straps are double layer the only way to keep them together are obviously stitching. But if I have a look at the picture on Customhide's website the straps do not have any stitching.

Yours has no stitching around the flap?

The patina is what we call it in Germany when the leather gets scratches and scuffs from time to time. I think this makes the briefcase to a unique piece and I like it.

I am wondering how less you paid. They offered me the two compartment model with glossy nickel hardware and the full length zipper closure for 369$ whereas the three compartment model is listed for 319$ on their website.

Since the price includes shipping, I would assume that shipping to Germany is where the difference in price is. When I had mine packed up and sent back via UPS, it was just short of $30. I have shipped packages overseas enough to say that they are probably being very reasonable with that price.

Yes, it definitely has a patina finish as you describe it.

I noticed also that there have been some changes since their photos were taken, and one of those changes has been the belt strap.

bty1970

New in Town
I am still thinking about the briefcase.

Colonel, could you please provide me some more pictures taken outside from your briefcase when it's back from Custom Hide?

This would be very helpful for me makign a decision for which briefcase I should go.

Thanks a lot.

MikeR

New in Town
Well, I saw an unbelievable deal on ebay and had to go for it, if only to check the quality and color for myself. I got what seems to be a very lightly used brown Organizer Laptop for $10 (plus $20 shipping).

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

It's really too small for my purposes (plus I don't use a laptop), but now I know that I would definitely want the whiskey color, and definitely would not want the pen loops or the cell phone case...they really are just in the way, especially for what I would be carrying (books, notebooks, etc.). The cell phone pouch is an odd size. It's probably designed for iPhone-styled phones, but my current phone (HTC EVO 4G) would be a tight fit by width. There is room for a fairly thick phone, though...this would probably best fit a thicker flip-phone, or maybe a smaller Blackberry. All that said, though, it really just takes up a lot of space, especially in a smaller case like this one.

I was also wondering about the alignment of the documents pouch, and it is unobtrusive, though I'm still not certain I care much for it being zippered rather than just a simple pouch (like the exterior one). Probably not worth the customization...it seems to work just fine.

I'm definitely very pleased with the quality, and this will tide me over until I order a custom one.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Colonel said:
Mine does not have any stitching around the flap - there is nothing there to stitch since it is a single layer of leather. You could specify that if you wanted stitching there though. The straps are now a double layer of leather stitched together - you can see this in the photos that I posted of mine earlier on this thread.

I paid $304 for mine.

I'm not sure what you mean by the patina on the leather. It is a flat finish, and scratches and scuffs show on the leather. Some folks might not like that, but I do. I have another leather item with the same type of leather, and I like the "character" that it accumulates over time.

Your CF is different than mine. My 1945 is lined with dark leather and mine, which is Whiskey color has started to darken and take on what might be refered to as a patina.

BTW: I also have a Filson leather briefcase. It's bomb proof. I bought it used off of eBay and it might be broken in in time for my daughter to use when she gets out of college - in 6-years.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I got my reworked briefcase back, and it is great. I am really kicking myself for having that latch left off in the first place. It is a very solidly built latch and should last a long, long time. Every similar latch I have ever seen was just some cheap stamped sheet metal, but this one is very solid.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
My review (of sorts):

I've had a Custom Hide "scholar" for about a year, my observations of the bag is that, while it looks great, ultimately it's poorly engineered and doesn't stand up well to heavy duty use. They call the bag the "scholar" but, when used in real world academic situations, the bag doesn't make the honor roll.

Most of the problems I've had have been with the shoulder strap. Because of the bags non-rigid construction and narrow width of the strap, a lot weight is placed on the front strap (relative to which shoulder you wear the bag on). Consequently the D-ring that is sewn onto the body of the bag tends to rip out the stitching which holds it in place, causing the attachment point for the removable strap to come off.

Custom Hide's customer service is indeed wonderful. The first time the strap on my bag failed they fixed it and added a rivet to each connection point for re-enforcement. They were even pretty quick with their turnaround time to do so. However, less that six months later, I can see the problem starting again despite the newly added rivets.

To my mind, if a company calls a bag "the scholar" it ought to holdup under typical student use, but the strap on the bag has problems bearing a typical student's load (2 notebooks, a laptop, 1-2 textbooks, assorted pens, pencils, and glasses). If I had it to do over again, I would not buy this bag.

If you commute via car, and don't walk much, this bag might be okay. But if you ride streetcars and buses, and walk a lot and therefore need a shoulder strap bag, this one isn't for you.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Guttersnipe, you can send it back again, right? They claim a lifetime warranty, and that should extend to repairs of the repairs...

Anyone have a picture of their antique brass finish? That's what I chose, but I've never seen pictures of it so I'm going into it blind.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Well, it was supposed to have been finished today, but I was just sent an email saying it's delayed until next Thurs. :( Oh well, if that means its gonna be done better, then that's no problem. [huh]

Cheers,

sfend002

Familiar Face
I've had a Custom Hide "scholar" for about a year, my observations of the bag is that, while it looks great, ultimately it's poorly engineered and doesn't stand up well to heavy duty use. They call the bag the "scholar" but, when used in real world academic situations, the bag doesn't make the honor roll.

Most of the problems I've had have been with the shoulder strap. Because of the bags non-rigid construction and narrow width of the strap, a lot weight is placed on the front strap (relative to which shoulder you wear the bag on). Consequently the D-ring that is sewn onto the body of the bag tends to rip out the stitching which holds it in place, causing the attachment point for the removable strap to come off.

Custom Hide's customer service is indeed wonderful. The first time the strap on my bag failed they fixed it and added a rivet to each connection point for re-enforcement. They were even pretty quick with their turnaround time to do so. However, less that six months later, I can see the problem starting again despite the newly added rivets.

To my mind, if a company calls a bag "the scholar" it ought to holdup under typical student use, but the strap on the bag has problems bearing a typical student's load (2 notebooks, a laptop, 1-2 textbooks, assorted pens, pencils, and glasses). If I had it to do over again, I would not buy this bag.

If you commute via car, and don't walk much, this bag might be okay. But if you ride streetcars and buses, and walk a lot and therefore need a shoulder strap bag, this one isn't for you.

Good review, thanks for posting it. I have been thinking of getting that bag for the exact application and its good to hear a review based on practical use rather than color, etc.

Its a real shame as I really like the look of the bag and the price is manageable. I guess I will have to stick with my Timbuk2. It can carry a ton and has traveled Europe as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran