Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Leather

Justhandguns

Practically Family
WalkingBoy said:
Hi there, I'm a new fellow to these pages and I was eager to make mention of Aero. Years ago I thought Aero were the bees knees, and made wish lists of their jackets, especially the Windward and later the TrailRider....but, and this will be heresy to many, Aero aren't that great. Sure the horsehide they use might be unparalleled (as i've read here ) but they're things that don't stack up to scrutiny. For one, build quality worry's me: lacks finese and sensitivity, attention to particular details. .................

Any photos for comparison purpose?

Is that from your own experinence? You mentioned that you made a couple of Aeros into your wish list, but did you eventually own some of them?

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I can vouch for Vanson custom. I had a custom armored Comet made in 2005. The Vanson dealer measured me in-store. Turnaround time was about 3 months and it was done perfectly. However, I've heard their turnaround times are significantly longer these days. I have three Vansons (one custom, two off-the-rack) and would buy from them again.

I've also got two Aeros and aside from the long wait times (which are well documented on this forum and therefore should not be a surprise to anyone) they have been great. I'd buy from Aero again.

apba1166 said:
If you want a complete custom job, every aspect, with about 10 measurements--especially if you are considering naked/topgrain cow, there are a couple outfits in Pakistan, like Horten Int'l, that will source great leather if you request it, and do the work and walk you through it all very nicely...for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of the big boys, shipped.

I've also heard good things about Pop's Leather, which I believe is run out of Turkey (?). I have no personal experience with their products.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
It's not a custom, but the quality on my Vanson Thunderbird is top notch. Not a seam or stitch out of place, and the steerhide is thick but supple. I've heard they're making some of their less expensive jackets in South America now, but looking over their product line, I think that must be limited to their textile jackets, because their leather is not cheap. Totally worth it though, and I highly recommend Vanson.

I also lived in Fall River, MA for a long time, so I may be biased in putting in a good word for them, with their factory 2 miles away from my old apt. ;)

I haven't purchased any of their products, but have corresponded with both Indy Magnoli and John Chapman via email about their respective product lines, and found both to be prompt in responding, and full of information for the potential customer. If this great attitude translates to their products, I'm betting they have many customers happy with their products (and I'm sure they do). I plan on ordering some shirts and possibly suits from Indy, and possibly one of John's Venturas, by the end of next spring.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Hi Seb and fellow loungers....
I try not to start too many fires I hope. What i posted has probably been said before so not a lot of new insight perhaps. I do like a good shit stir every now and then though. I wasn't saying that Aero were 'badly made', just that Aero are a bit over hyped for what they are. I've handled a couple of them and there just not my thing. Also, I'm not moonlighting as John Chapman's PR agent...but if he had a job going :)

JLStorm

Practically Family
You also have to look at the style you want.

For instance LW may have great leather, but Stuart will not alter certain designs under any circumstances. I like flight style jackets and he is just a pain in the ass to work with, I tried once, it was pointless. He is easier to work with on custom motorcycle style jackets. I dont buy any style off the rack. When I am paying that much, it will be custom designed to my requirements and specs.

Langlitz seems like a great place and I havent heard anything bad about them, although they tent to also specialize more in the motorcycle and/or street wear type jackets. Im sure they can make anything given a pattern or detailed description, or if you can go to their location. I may try them in the future possible, especially if the exchange rate continues to suffer.

I personally think Aero is amazing. I have worn Vanson and owned Schott and a number of other lesser quality companies than either. I found Aero after the quote I received from Schott for a custom jacket was ridiculous (in the thousands). Anyway Aero is the only company I have found that will work with 6+ oz steerhide with no questions asked. Why do I need 6 or 6.5oz steerhide...I dont, but I like it and thats all that matters. Its like wearing steel and I enjoy the feeling. The point is that Aero will do basically anything you ask with amazing accuracy and they are tough as nails. Yes their FQHH is amazing, but their heavy steer is amazing as well, especially in the extra heavy weights. They will find the thickness and color you want and if they dont have it they will find a way to order it if possible. They can make any design changes youd like and they dont nickel and dime you to death. And the little charges here and there for custom this and custom that can really add up, so shop around. Ive found Aero to be around half the cost of many others when you want a highly customized jacket, even those that make lesser quality jackets.

I am not as picky as some when it comes to mm between stitches, as I cant say Ive ever looked, I am all about durability and Aero does not disappoint in this department. Hell, they even warranty their heavy steer and FQHH and stitching for life. I dont think the thickness and durability of Schott is even in the same league as Aero. I know many people love Vanson, it felt more solid than Schott even thought the leather weights are almost identical, but for me, I just wanted something much heavier in weight and they just werent capable of that.

Anyway, just food for thought. I would go to whatever manufacturer specialized in the style and hide you wanted and that you felt comfortable dealing with. If I could drive to langlitz I would be more likely to give them a shot and if Stuart wasnt such an ass, I would try his jackets, but for me with the relationship I already have with Aero makes me want to keep going back. Knowing I can describe a concept over email or the phone to them and they produce exactly what I envisioned, I am reluctant to go anywhere else considering they already surpass my every expectation each time. However, they were cheaper when the exchange rate didnt suck as much.

I have interacted with Aero, Lagnlitz, Good Wear, Vanson and Lost Worlds and Eastman about jackets.

Taking them alphabetically;

Aero is willing to make many "custom changes" at no extra cost. I have found their workmanship and leather to be top-notch.
I love their designs.
I understand their policy is to work to make things right if something doesn't turn out correct.
I have had no problems with delayed orders or unacceptable inaccessibility.
Emails may not be returned the next day on some occasions...but they generally are within 48 hours (working time).
I have used them more than once, and have no qualms about doing so again.

Eastman's jackets are also first rate. Great detail, leather and workmansip.
They will do some customization when it comes to sizing.....but that makes the jackets non-returnable if you don't like it when you receive it. I have not asked them to make custom design changes, but I suspect they will not do this.
Luckily I fit their "off the rack" jackets.
Great customer service. Prompt replies.
I will deal with them again.

Good Wear's (John Chapman) quality is excellent. Fantastic jackets, great leather, great detail/workmanship.
Jackets made to the customers size.
I have not checked with him about design changes..so don't know what he is willing to do there.
Accessability is good. Great to deal with.
Occasional wait for email returns...not really an issue. He now has an assistant and that seems to have helped.
Would / have ordered from him again.

Langlitz.....I have a jacket on order with them.
I understand the quality of their jackets to be first rate.
Custom fit to the buyers measuremets.
Fair number of custom options to choose from.
They have been great to deal with...very prompt replies.
Looking forward to receiving my jacket. Suspect I will be very pleased with it.

Lost Worlds...
have not purchased from them. Can't really say much.
I have contacted them about a purchasing a jacket....as I understand it they will custom fit jackets/custom design, but that kills the ability to return the product if you don't like something about it. Not sure how accomodating they are about design/ fit changes.
Seems like most of their sales/orientation is to "off the rack" products.

Vanson....great jacket, workmanship, leather, design.
Communication was rather hit and miss. Felt more like I was dealing with a large store.....though I did get the information I needed.
Bought an "off the rack" jacket...so no experience with how willing they are to do custom design work.
They will do custom fit work. Not sure about the wait/reliability of wait estimates.
I would purchase from them again.

So......
lots of great options out there to choose from.
My favs. have been Aero/Goodwear...and I suspect Langlitz...really can't say yet...for quality of product, customer interaction, design/fit options.
Add Eastman to the list if you fit what they have on the rack.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Langlitz by default

There are Ford guys and Chevy guys (and Pierce Arrow guys); I guess I'm a Langlitz guy.

When I was 16, Mom bought me one for Christmas/birthday/pay-back-this-much, and I wore that jacket -- a brown Cascade in midweight cattlehide, with elbow and shoulder pads and thermal lining -- until I was 39. I was quite in awe of the shop, its traditions... and the Vincent Black Shadow sitting along one wall.

This is a Cascade (a "Crashcade," if you're a teenager with a wise mother):

http://www.langlitz.com/cascade/

Somewhere along the way, the thermal fuzz sacked down and they removed it at no charge. This also opened a bit of clearance for my, um, "growth."

Crashed on it three times over the years. Usually, I just rubbed out the scuffs. Once I popped a seam near the right cuff. Dave repaired it (and removed that thermal fluff), replaced a couple of missing leather zip tabs, and charged me two dollars.

Took two years of riding in all weather to break it in. I finally passed it along to my little brother when my (now-ex-) wife had her way and my five-bike stable had gone to zero. Pete wasn't a rider, but he was flying aerobatics in a Pitts S2S. It seemed appropriate enough.

Long story short (too late as usual!), I deployed abroad in 2004. When I returned, I was down one wife and up a cherished old motorcycle.

I went back to PDX on my midtour R&R and got measured again by the same ol' Dave. Somewhere along the way, he had sold his Vincent. More's the pity.

This time I ordered a belted, Padded Pocket Columbia with watch pocket deleted, gun pocket added, armpit cash stash.

More or less this...

http://www.langlitz.com/columbia/

...but spec'd with a Cossack collar. I don't like to flap in the wind, and even my old bike is faster than a Harley. :D

Mine is cut from black goatskin. The break-in process for goatskin is a two-step process:

1) Shrug into jacket.

2) Zip.

Here are a couple of shots of my "new" Langlitz (delivered SEP '05):

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0708_jack_lewis_bmw_r69us_motorcycle/photo_01.html

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1010_2011_harley_xl883l_super_low/photo_01.html

I like it very much.

Cheers,

Jack

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Is it worth reviving a three year old thread? I imagine the guy who started this has made his choice by now.

<shrug>

I dunno. Maybe...?

I found this thread because I was looking for info, myself. Having found some that seemed useful (Thurston is a short local drive for me), I thought I'd dip my little paddle in the big pond.

Still finding my way around FL, I guess. It was certainly not my intent to annoy.

Cheers,

Jack

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As far as I can tell, what Seb was leaning towards was not 'don't post', more 'start a new thread'. I would tend to agree with him, purely because there's a bit of out of date info on the preceding posts, but it's not a big deal and I don't see the need to make snarky references to Aero on the back of it. That said, I enjoyed Jax's review as Langlitz are one of those makers that perhaps don't get the same profile as others ELC, Aero, GW etc.

Last edited:

s_crumb

Familiar Face
I took delivery of a horsehide repro Buco J100 a couple of weeks ago. Diamond Dave made it for me in a matter of two weeks. I cannot say enough good things about Dave or the quality of the jacket. And the price can't be beat.
DSC_3609.jpg DSC_3613.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo