Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shoe Guinea Pigs Needed

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I'm pretty sure we can do those as well. If you want, I can source some cloth options.

I've also just found out that I can get buck, but only in black, brown and tan... no white. [huh]

Kind regards,
Indy

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Indy Magnoli, I'll have the scans for you by this afternoon.

Meanwhile, here are some images of shoes to inspire your shoemaker (and maybe some Loungers). The brown/tan spectators below are from the early to mid-1930s:

Spoon304.jpg

Spoon302.jpg

Spoon275.jpg

Spoon276.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Buckskin looks nice, especially in white ... but here are my problems with it.

First, it's hard to find. Practically every so-called "buck" shoe made today is, in fact, made of Nubuck. Nubuck is perfectly smooth; it doesn't have the chamois/suede look and feel of old fashioned buckskin.

Second, it's hard to keep clean. White buckskin suede gets scuffed easily; most suede-cleaning products actually stain the white, making it look even dirtier. There's a reason why so many vintage spectators have the buckskin PAINTED OVER with white liquid shoe polish: the former owners gave up trying to clean the suede. It's true that a chalk bag can be used to touch up the buck, but white chalk goes only so far. It can't remove dark scuffs.

Third, white buckskin is ruined by water and other liquids. If you ever have the bad luck to get your shoes wet, say goodbye to the buckskin part. The suede's nap will never be the same again, even if you brush it.

Frankly, I'd go for an all calfskin shoe, like the two in the photos above. It's far easier to keep clean, and won't be ruined by a few drops of water.

Marc Chevalier said:
Buckskin looks nice, especially in white ... but here are my problems with it.

First, it's hard to find. Practically every so-called "buck" shoe made today is, in fact, made of Nubuck. Nubuck is perfectly smooth; it doesn't have the chamois/suede look and feel of old fashioned buckskin.

Second, it's hard to keep clean. White buckskin suede gets scuffed easily; most suede-cleaning products actually stain the white, making it look even dirtier. There's a reason why so many vintage spectators have the buckskin PAINTED OVER with white liquid shoe polish: the former owners gave up trying to clean the suede. It's true that a chalk bag can be used to touch up the buck, but white chalk goes only so far. It can't remove dark scuffs.

Third, white buckskin is ruined by water and other liquids. If you ever have the bad luck to get your shoes wet, say goodbye to the buckskin part. The suede's nap will never be the same again, even if you brush it.

Frankly, I'd go for an all calfskin shoe, like the two in the photos above. It's far easier to keep clean, and won't be ruined by a few drops of water.

You mean to tell me you don't know how to clean buck? Do I actually have a secret you don't know? ;)
Three words man---Black Buck Wingtips. They had them back in the day. I have the ad in my home computer. They had them in black, dark blue, green and white. I already have a white pair.
When is the last time you went out in the rain with a pair of buck shoes? :p Me? Never. "Het!"

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
You mean to tell me you don't know how to clean buck? Do I actually have a secret you don't know? ;)
Three words man---Black Buck Wingtips. They had them back in the day. I have the ad in my home computer. They had them in black, dark blue, green and white. I already have a white pair.
When is the last time you went out in the rain with a pair of buck shoes?

I don't have that secret, but I definitely want it. Please let the cat out of the bag. Thanks!

You are absolutely right about the black (and blue, and green) buck shoes. ("Black buck". Sounds like a line from "Gone With the Wind".) Buck was also made in brown, and in grey.

I've had white buck ruined by everything but rain. Sprinklers, small puddles, and spilled drinks (not mine!) did the trick.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Indy Magnoli said:
At the moment I'm concentrating on mens' clothing only. I'll keep you posted of any change in this.

Kind regards,
Indy

Please keep me posted on this as well. If you ever get into ladies shoes I think you'd make a killing from us big-footed girls. So hard to find anything larger than a 7.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Too bad I'm strapped for cash. But how about a tan and white spectator a Jhodpur boot and wholecuts
I have a wide foot so every balmoral has a silly gap in the laces

Marc Chevalier said:
I don't have that secret, but I definitely want it. Please let the cat out of the bag. Thanks!

You are absolutely right about the black (and blue, and green) buck shoes. ("Black buck". Sounds like a line from "Gone With the Wind".) Buck was also made in brown, and in grey.

I've had white buck ruined by everything but rain. Sprinklers, small puddles, and spilled drinks (not mine!) did the trick.

So I have something that is a secret eh? Hmmmm... That could be worth a lot of money to some. Hmmmm... I start taking bids at $10. :D :p
Gee, you have to be more careful with those buck shoes when you wear them. I get black scuffs on mine every single time I wear white bucks. Good thing there is and easy fix. It just wipes off and makes the buck waterproof afterwards to boot. Did I mention it also removes that lousy "white paint" they put over buck? ;)

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Speaking of the "Exmore" ... look closely at the shoe on the far right of the picture. It has that gummy sole and heel that I mentioned earlier. It was this kind of shoe that gave the name "gumshoe" to private detectives, who presumably wore them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy