Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dare to Dream: Your "Ultimate" Leather Jacket

Ralph Chen

Familiar Face
from my limited knowledge ...they might have made this one up....perhaps someone could prove me wrong... :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Be interesting to start a thread sometime about your experiences in Brighton compared to the legends of the mods and rockers moral panic....
It's a nice idea Edward but it would be very limited. There's not that many UK members who were born between 1946 & 1950, who followed the 60's fashion trends, and Mod/Rocker riots, most of which were staged managed, but that's another story. What might be an idea though is something like: "Memories & Reminisces."
Here's some photos from those Mod days:
Mod scooter 1.jpg
Many went right over the top with spotlights and wing mirrors.
mod scooter 2.jpg
Mine was much more demure, I can't find an actual photo, but it was very much like this, with one notable exception. I had a very high tank aerial attached to the rear of the saddle. On the aerial, like a string of flags from the sailing ship days of the Royal Navy, I had a collection of frilly panties. The assumption was that they were all trophies. Like all young men, most of my conquests were in my head.
mod scooter 2.jpg
The Parkas that we wore were all rather scruffy but as you can see from this image, underneath the Parka was an immaculate outfit, usually a slimline, clean cut suit.
mod scooter 3.jpg
I did say it was scruffy, do you need me to explain this?
A2-Leather-Jacket.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ah, now here's another category.... it's like the guys who drop a 1300 A series from a Morris Marina or Ital into a Morris Minor.... The purists would hate it, but if it puts that Moggie out on the road, where it should be, rather than gathering dust in a garage or barn.... not to mention that some of them picked this up along the way.
As a child, I had my forehead opened by the door of a Marina - a practical joke by my brother that went very wrong. I still carry the scar...

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Just as I posted this thread few weeks ago..Real McCoy re-release my dream jacket ..
Buco j-82 padded
http://www.realmccoys-nagoya.co.jp/?pid=102735288
Been wanting this jacket since 2014,Only problem I have now is working on the cash :(
The price definitely gone up quite a bit
View attachment 50670 View attachment 50671

I really like this one and can see why it's your Ultimate Leather Jacket, but you're not kidding about the price. They are really proud of this one.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's a nice idea Edward but it would be very limited. There's not that many UK members who were born between 1946 & 1950, who followed the 60's fashion trends, and Mod/Rocker riots, most of which were staged managed, but that's another story. What might be an idea though is something like: "Memories & Reminisces."
View attachment 50682
View attachment 50683
Mine was much more demure, I can't find an actual photo, but it was very much like this, with one notable exception. I had a very high tank aerial attached to the rear of the saddle. On the aerial, like a string of flags from the sailing ship days of the Royal Navy, I had a collection of frilly panties. The assumption was that they were all trophies. Like all young men, most of my conquests were in my head.
View attachment 50683
The Parkas that we wore were all rather scruffy but as you can see from this image, underneath the Parka was an immaculate outfit, usually a slimline, clean cut suit.
View attachment 50684
View attachment 50685

Posts like this=why this place is worthwhile.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You are very kind Nick, thank you. I flattered, yet humbled. The Lounge is a great community with varying, fascinating stories, it also has a membership that instinctively knows when it's best to refrain from a comment that might fan the fire of confrontation. However, you and other members are generous to a fault when commenting on a post that's held your interest. Again thank you.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 50682
View attachment 50683

I think you'd be surprised! Yeah, I never cared for the ott mirrors and such.... it's one reason why I've always preferred rockers' dirty motorcycles over mod scooters: the (stereotypical) image of the latter with which I've grown up is all show and no go, too fussy. I'm sure there's an equivalent with motorcycles, though!

View attachment 50683
View attachment 50684
View attachment 50685

That's a much nicer take on the scooter. Love the knickers idea! Back in my more active Rocky Horror days, particularly when I was playing Frank'n'furter, I used to dress as a sleazy, lounge-lizard EmCee for the intro (thus preserving the full effect of Frank's entrance during the film). I had a nasty polyester C&A 70s dinner suit (with faux cheetah-fur stuck on the lapels), frilly shirt, big bow..... and a shiny, satin-pink pocket square, which I'd always find an excuse to pull out to mop my forehead at some point.... the joke being, of course, that it was a piar of ladies knickers. (Can't remember if I came up with the idea independantly, or if I consciously ripped off Frank Abagnale Junior, who's long done this.)

Would be worth starting a thread for your A2 specifically, in the Outerwear section.... it doesn't look anywhere near as rough in that photo as some I've seen. I imagine you'd see quite a return on your investment if you were to decide to partg with it today!

As a child, I had my forehead opened by the door of a Marina - a practical joke by my brother that went very wrong. I still carry the scar...

Oh, I hear you on that. I've got a small scar on my forehead from the time I tripped and landed head first on a steel caravan step. I remember it well.... apparently, even in the open air, the sound echoed so hard, me dad thought I'd died!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That's a much nicer take on the scooter. Love the knickers idea! Back in my more active Rocky Horror days, particularly when I was playing Frank'n'furter, I used to dress as a sleazy, lounge-lizard EmCee for the intro (thus preserving the full effect of Frank's entrance during the film.)
Rocky Horror, how I love that show. I have lost count of the number of times that I have seen it. There is though, one endearing memory.
My wife and I, and a group of friends, arrived somewhat early for the performance on this particular occasion. We killed a little time with pre-show drinks and reserving further drinks for the interval. Despite that, the auditorium was still lit when we took our seats. In the front row were three young men, probably early twenties. I should have said that like most of the audience, we were all dressed the part, and so were these three young men. The fellow in the middle stood up, took a sweeping view all around the audience, happy that he didn't recognise anyone, he took off his jeans to reveal the most slutty, ripped stockings you have ever seen. Like I said, I love Rocky Horror.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
I would too..if I could make something like this...

I hear you. The more I've thought about it the more I want it. RMC has definitely upped some of their prices this season however. When I get to the point where the current price would be justifiable to me, I'm sure whatever the new price I will be unjustifiable. Gorgeous jacket, wish it was within my means right now. The brand new baby says it is not [emoji868]

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I dream, one day I will have a reversible leather jacket made with vegetable tanned purple hand dyed leviathan skin on one side, and hot pink chrome tanned behemoth hide on the other side.... with oversize ~RiRi~ zipper... and cuff buttons made from meteor shard... to finally have bragging right around here :cool:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
being an animal/ pet friendly person as I am, be sure that I won't kill the beasts, I will only cut what I need with xacto knife and let the animal alive to grow new skin again (for next year)
probably will take the area near the tail of the leviathan and what equivalent of front quarter of the behemoth,
given the size of the beasts probably it will be enough for 100 jackets in size 36 at the price of $1.9999million each,
and to be true elitist I don't care about people who need bigger size either they must do extreme diet or liposuction to be worthy of it...

BTW from the legend I hear, it will take apprx 5 lifetimes to properly break it in, so I'll include tortoise extract capsules and ginseng tea as bonus for the first 10 buyers + handymike since he bartered the moonstones.

Edward

Bartender
Rocky Horror, how I love that show. I have lost count of the number of times that I have seen it. There is though, one endearing memory.
My wife and I, and a group of friends, arrived somewhat early for the performance on this particular occasion. We killed a little time with pre-show drinks and reserving further drinks for the interval. Despite that, the auditorium was still lit when we took our seats. In the front row were three young men, probably early twenties. I should have said that like most of the audience, we were all dressed the part, and so were these three young men. The fellow in the middle stood up, took a sweeping view all around the audience, happy that he didn't recognise anyone, he took off his jeans to reveal the most slutty, ripped stockings you have ever seen. Like I said, I love Rocky Horror.

Oh, it's a wonderful show. Some of the productions I've seen haven't been..... all that.... but I have very many happy memories of the great ones, not least the 2006/7 run with David Bedella as Frank - I think I saw that one about seventy times in two years. Fun days. Never a closer to perfect production of the show than that once ince I started with it in 1998... (if only I couldgo back to 1973 and see the original!)

being an animal/ pet friendly person as I am, be sure that I won't kill the beasts, I will only cut what I need with xacto knife and let the animal alive to grow new skin again (for next year)

Perhaps a budget model in cowhide from the cows that served in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe? ;)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A friend of mine was at the London opening and swore that Vincent Price was sitting in front of him. He claimed that Price giggled throughout the production.

Edward

Bartender
A friend of mine was at the London opening and swore that Vincent Price was sitting in front of him. He claimed that Price giggled throughout the production.

Vincent Price did indeed attend a performance at the Royal Court Theatre Upstairs, during that first three week run. One of very few people who saw Julie Covington (later famously to play Evita, and have a hit with Don't Cry for me Argentina) as Janet. Covington was injured and had to pull out, .replaced by Belinda Sinclair. Belinda is thus the one who is on the Original London Cast recording, as that came thereafter.

The real legend from that first three week run isn't so much Price, Bowie, or the rest, but the night somebody had to tell Mick Jagger the show coildn't go on because Raynour Burton had a very delicate injury.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran