Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

I often watch the game with the sound off and listen to the radio. Mainly because Alan Ashby makes me want to jab knitting needles into my ears. The problem is they are often not in sync, the TV broadcast is usually a few seconds behind.

I have listened to the game on the radio even when I could sit down and watch it - but, in fairness, I am usually doing something else. My decision is usual driven by a little of both: I want to keep doing what I'm doing and I enjoy the baseball-game-on-the-radio experience. And sometimes when I am done doing what I'm doing, I'll just listen to the last few innings as I've found when I switch to TV after several innings of radio it is unpleasantly jarring - it feels like I've joined another game than the one I was listening to.

Baseball legend and all around fun guy Yogi Berra has died at aged 90. Famous as much for his paradoxical quotes, known as "Yogisms", as his stellar career: "It ain't over til it's over", "you can observe a lot by watching", "nobody goes there it's too crowded", "half this game is 90% mental", and "you three make a perfect pair". I guess we'll get to test another one: "you have to go to peoples' funerals or they won't come to yours".

RIP Yogi. Baseball would not be the same without you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/s...dies-at-90-yankees-baseball-catcher.html?_r=0

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All the comedy has long obscured Berra's gifts as a player. He didn't get into the Hall of Fame simply because of his prominence as a personality, he got there on abilty and accompishments --- he was the heart of those Yankee teams of the fifties and early sixties.

GV_YogiBerra.jpg

All the comedy has long obscured Berra's gifts as a player. He didn't get into the Hall of Fame simply because of his prominence as a personality, he got there on abilty and accompishments --- he was the heart of those Yankee teams of the fifties and early sixties.

I once saw a pitcher from back in the day (I forget who) asked who'd he'd have rather faced in a crucial situation, Berra or Mickey Mantle...he said he'd rather take his chances with Mantle. You did NOT want to face Yogi with the game on the line.

pawineguy

One Too Many

Three MVPs and runner up twice. He's an all time great and it's a shame that's been obscured by his personality. I'm a Yankee hater but not Yogi.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An interesting analysis from Slate on Yogi's use of language.

I've always doubted that Yogi was ever quite the idiot savant the press made him out to be. He spent twelve years closely observing Casey Stengel, who was a very shrewd man when it came to manipulating the media thru the use of comic obfuscation of language, and he had to have picked up quite a few valuable tricks.

Meanwhile, comes word that Phil Linz will play "Taps" on the harmonica at Yogi's funeral. I hope that's not a joke, because it's absolutely perfect.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I've always doubted that Yogi was ever quite the idiot savant the press made him out to be. He spent twelve years closely observing Casey Stengel, who was a very shrewd man when it came to manipulating the media thru the use of comic obfuscation of language, and he had to have picked up quite a few valuable tricks.

Stengelese :D

My shop foreman and head welder (age 60) passed away this morning after a short, but brave battle with Leukemia. Never missed at day of work, always early, and a very kind soul. He will be sorely missed. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner