Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Its sad how Alan Rickman and David Bowie kept their illness away from the public for a long period of time until their deaths and with the public only finding out after they have passed. Then again, there seems to be a great sense of humility in their choice of keeping things low profile. RIP.

Its sad how Alan Rickman and David Bowie kept their illness away from the public for a long period of time until their deaths and with the public only finding out after they have passed. Then again, there seems to be a great sense of humility in their choice of keeping things low profile. RIP.
I view the secret of their illnesses as a personal success for each of them. They were each able to retain some privacy and dignity during difficult times in an era when everyone seems to know everything about someone just because they're "a celebrity". Well done, Gentlemen!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Quick! Someone notify all of the 69-year-old celebrities that they might be on the short list! :D.

Only the Brits which shorten's the list somewhat. ;) they do say these celeb deaths come in threes, so someone's for the chop. :rolleyes:

They could have cast almost anyone in that role and it wouldn't have been too different. The same goes for Die Hard and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Hans Gruber, Elliott Marston, and that version of the Sheriff of Nottingham, were essentially the same character in different clothes: smarmy, glib, and over-confident. .

You mean he could only play one type of character. :D

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Apparently David Bowie was secretly crematated only a few hours after his death as per his wishes, without even his family or friends present. Being anti showbizz, the last thing he wanted was a showbizz funeral. He genuinely believed that art is more important than the artist & I have to agree with him. He has certainly left us with a tremendous legacy & there can be no better memorial than his music. He wanted us to celebrate his life not remember his death. You've got to hand it to him, he was an original & boy, did he have class !
There has been some leaks which imply he died from liver cancer. He had suffered 6 heart attacks during the 10 years prior to his death & had also undergone heart surgery. Despite appearances, he was not a well man.

Last edited:
Only the Brits which shorten's the list somewhat. ;) they do say these celeb deaths come in threes, so someone's for the chop. :rolleyes:...
Can I vote for Simon Cowell?

...You mean he could only play one type of character. :D
No, Mr. Rickman was certainly a versatile actor. But for a while there, it seemed he was hired because he could play that type of character well; I'm very pleased that he was able to escape that pigeonhole.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I view the secret of their illnesses as a personal success for each of them. They were each able to retain some privacy and dignity during difficult times in an era when everyone seems to know everything about someone just because they're "a celebrity". Well done, Gentlemen!

Amen to that. God bless them.

I think it depends on the individual, and certainly one can have dignity without necessarily "hiding" their illness from the public. I think back to when one of *my* musical favorites, Warren Zevon, was diagnosed with mesothelioma and told he only had a few months to live. He didn't keep it a secret, but was able to keep his work ethic, finishing his last record, and trademark sense of humor, telling the media that he just hoped he lived long enough to see the next James Bond movie. When asked by David Letterman if he'd learned anything about life and death, he replied "enjoy every sandwich."

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
He was always tremendous: Die Hard, Robin Hood, Dogma, Galaxy Quest ("By Grabthar's Hammer... what a savings."), Sense and Sensibility ("Give me something to do, or I shall run mad."), Hitchiker's Guide (voice only, but what a voice!), Something The Lord Made, Sweeney Todd...

And then there's his uncanny ability to talk... ever... more... slowly... each... time... he... played... Professor... Snape.
He warmed up on that as Hans Gruber:

"The circuits that cannot be cut are cut automatically in response to a terrorist incident. You asked for miracles, Theo, I give you the F.B.I." [spoken as "Eff. Bee. Aye."]

It's been a while since I saw Quigley Down Under, Tom Selleck's "Western" set in Australia, but I don't recall thinking Rickman was hamming it up as the villain in that. Just . . . being . . . colorful.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the individual, and certainly one can have dignity without necessarily "hiding" their illness from the public. I think back to when one of *my* musical favorites, Warren Zevon, was diagnosed with mesothelioma and told he only had a few months to live. He didn't keep it a secret, but was able to keep his work ethic, finishing his last record, and trademark sense of humor, telling the media that he just hoped he lived long enough to see the next James Bond movie. When asked by David Letterman if he'd learned anything about life and death, he replied "enjoy every sandwich."
You're right, of course. I saw Warren Zevon's final appearance on Letterman's show, and he really seemed to be at peace with the fact that his days on this rock were coming to an end. And his advice to "Enjoy every sandwich," was brilliant.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Acting great Alan Rickman!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alan-rickman-dead-actor-was-855749

By Grabthar's Hammer, by the Suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!

So many losses to cancer this week, but this one I found quite desperately sad. So many roles to choose from, but my all time favorite of his was as Ed in The January Man. Showed of some comedy with him.
Strangely enough, a good friend of mine, who happens to be a Harry Potter fan and a particular fan of his Snape, had a personal theme song for Snape. It was The Man Who Sold the World by David Bowie. Told her it was kind of eerie.

RIP Mr. Rickman, Long live The Half Blood Prince.

Cheers.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner