Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

⇧ an outstanding host and seemed like a nice guy. Ironically, he lived in an apartment house in NYC name "The Osborne." And fittingly, it was very pre-war Golden Era glamor and architecture.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Underground (and later, quite above ground) comix artist Jay Lynch. He drew Pro Junior, Phoebe & the Pigeon People and of course, Nard n Pat.

upload_2017-3-6_21-11-53.png

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The question now has to be asked -- is the end of "hosted" presentations on TCM? They've got Mankiewicz, but he's hardly got the gravitas Osborne brought to the job. I wonder what Bob Dorian is doing these days?
I am starting to warm up to Tiffany Vazquez. I think it might be good to have a younger host. Hopefully, she can bring in a younger generation, so these films will be on for many more decades!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's awful that this makes Ben Mankiewicz the senior host on TCM, as my issues with him go beyond just a lack of gravitas.

Osborne's observations were always interesting, and since he was a true Hollywood insider, were often little-known tidbits that never showed up elsewhere. In contrast, I consider Mankiewicz a no-talent bum trading on his famous name: He has literally never said a single thing about a film/actor/director/etc. - in scores, if not hundreds, of intros and outros - that I didn't already know, or that isn't easily found in a minute on Wiki. Speaking as a 50-year-plus student of movies, I consider him a pretty bogus excuse for a film history expert.

It won't be enough to put me off TCM - it's still the best source for so much classic stuff - but it's something of a downgrade. To me, anyway.

I am starting to warm up to Tiffany Vazquez. I think it might be good to have a younger host. Hopefully, she can bring in a younger generation, so these films will be on for many more decades!

⇧ I am warming up to her as well. At first, I admit, I was like "who are you and why are you here," but she seems to be settling in a bit and has - which is the key - a sincere passion for the movies. She's still a bit awkward, but time might fix that. And while I agree Mankiewicz is no Osborne (and I don't have Doctor Strange's knowledge to comment on Mankiewicz' expertise), I've warmed up to him over the years too as, I think, he's settled in nicely to the roll. Early on, I think he tried too hard to be the "new" "cool" "hip" host, but now seems to have just developed a comfortable style with out forcing an image.

To Lizzie's point, I really, really hope they don't end the hosting as it brings character to the station and, maybe, even more - it brings identity. You feel much more connected because of the hosts. There's a cable channel on our system in the 1200s named "Movies!" that simply shows old movies (with painful commercials, so I always record), but no host, almost no self-promotion (like the TCM videos) and I have no, absolutely no feeling for the channel other than, when I remember, I check to see what is on in the upcoming week.

The hosts, the cool promos, the shorts, the interviews make TCM feel special. I've never attended a film festival, but the clips they show make it feel like there is a community of fans, but also of TCM employees, who enjoy what they are doing beyond just getting a paycheck.

Robert Osborne will always be the elder statesman, but time marches on :))) and, I bet, he'd want to see new hosts and his TCM thrive by keeping fans and attracting a new generation of them.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I want them to continue having hosts, and all the things that make TCM unique. I hope they find more new hosts, and that they will have worthwhile and interesting observations.

All I'm objecting to is Mankiewicz being elevated to senior host by default, because I have always found him to be so utterly ersatz and uninspired. I recognize that this is my problem more than his!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd like to see them hire the great Dana Hersey, who made "The Movie Loft" not-to-be-missed viewing on Boston's Channel 38 in the 70s and 80s. He was hands down the best movie host I've ever had the pleasure of watching -- knowledgeable, casual, and easy to take, but never ever pretentious. He'd be a perfect fit for TCM.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This is just a small portion of what I have on my TCM plate.
99 % go directly to the movie without intros.
Of the few intros, Mr.Robert O is presenting.
If I choose, I can go fast forward to see Bogie or Fred do their thing.
I don't have time or allow myself to be upset! :)

2ij6qnt.jpg

R.I.P. Mr. O

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Osborne will be missed. Glad I got to see him in the flesh. Me and Puddin' caught him at Mass Moca when they did a TCM evening several years ago. He did a retrospective on the works of Billy Wilder that was magnificent. Puddin' always had a crush on the guy. He was always like a friendly, knowledgeable Uncle to me. The kind you see only at holidays or funerals who always has a million stories to tell and almost all of em are true.

Worf

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hard to write this. Many people have a talent to be a great star, but the lucky break just doesn't happen. One such person is a dear friend of ours, she sang professionally for a while but couldn't make it pay. She then used her academic skills to land a job in local government. Once settled she sang on the vintage circuit, in her spare time, with her partner as manager and DJ. She called herself Memphis Belle, but we, who knew and loved her, called her Lorraine. Just before Christmas she fell ill and was taken into hospital, where it was discovered that she had pancreatic cancer. She was too poorly even for chemo.
A determined lady, she and her partner decided to get married, our gang of friends all rallied around, in just a few short weeks they organised everything, from the venue, the catering, the bands even her wedding dress, that my wife had the honour of making. It was the gig of the year.
Sad to say that at eleven o'clock this morning, our darling friend, Miss Memphis Belle, took her final curtain call.
Peace be with you Lorraine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner