Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

I agree with most of the positive comments about "Hef" that proceeds, but on a lighter note, he is an example of making, IMHO, a grave mistake stylistically or image management-wise as he aged and as the world around him changed.

The '70s image he stayed with until his death - the pajama's, the girl-bacchanalias - all felt dated and, then, as he aged more, a bit creepy. He looked like the hippie, now in his '70s, still dressing, etc. as if it's 1967. Even if your comments are smart (his, overall, were) you undermine your credibility by looking and acting out of touch.

It's not about selling out - many talented rock stars age with grace and elegance - Eric Clapton, for example - without selling out, they just adjust their image / style to the culture and their age. We (at least most of us) do this, but no one cares (except our immediate circle) what "we" do, but those in the public eye impact their present relevance and ultimate legacy by how they manage their image.

IMHO, Hef could have been a stronger cultural voice in his last decades had he worn up-to-date clothes (not pajamas) and not looked like a grandfather at a spring break party. He could have still done his thing, but done it in a way that didn't look like he was stuck in a time capsule. If he was happy doing what he did, I'll stand arm in arm with anyone defending his right to do so, but I wonder if he didn't feel trapped a bit by "Hef" the icon.

Monty Hall dead at 96.

mhp-all-closed2.png

Singer, songwriter, musician, and producer Tom Petty has died at the age of 66. Petty suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu, California, in the early morning hours of October 2 and was taken to UCLA Medical Center, but could not be revived.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I always loved Let's Make A Deal as a kid in the 60s and 70s. So sorry to learn of Monty Hall's passing. While I wasn't a fan of Tom Petty's music, I'm also saddened to learn of his passing.

Amazing how the older Monty Hall looks like a computer simulation of how he would age - he has the exact same core face he did as a young man.

It took me until the Traveling Wilburys to appreciate Tom Petty as, his when I first heard a lot of his songs in the '70s and '80s, they didn't sing to me, but after the Wilburys, I "got" him. "Last Dance with Mary Jane" is outstanding.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Amazing how the older Monty Hall looks like a computer simulation of how he would age - he has the exact same core face he did as a young man.

It took me until the Traveling Wilburys to appreciate Tom Petty as, his when I first heard a lot of his songs in the '70s and '80s, they didn't sing to me, but after the Wilburys, I "got" him. "Last Dance with Mary Jane" is outstanding.

Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and now Tom Petty gone.

With Bob Dylan in his seventies, shortly they`ll be known as the Travelling Wilbury...

Can you imagine how he felt? He grew up in garage bands covering Beatles, Dylan, and Orbison, then grew up to be in a "Super Group" as their equal. Pretty much the same with Lynne.

Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and now Tom Petty gone.

With Bob Dylan in his seventies, shortly they`ll be known as the Travelling Wilbury...

From a thirty plus year old memory, there was a video the TW did right after Roy Orbison had passed away where they were riding in the box car of a early 1900's train car. They were all huddled in a circle on random wooden chairs / crates and they had left one chair empty with only a guitar upright in it as a memorial to Orbison. Sounds cheesy, but it worked at the time - seemed a nice thing to do.

Here it is and it's aged darn well:
  • The guitar in the chair is a wonderful touch and they don't overdo it - well done!
  • Harrison was the only truly cool Beatle (Lennon threw his out the window when he married Yoko, Paul reads mama's boy and Ringo was always just along for the ride, but George was cool)
  • Great to see a young Petty, long straw hair, shot-away chin and watery eyes - California rockstar with real talent

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Jean Rochefort....versatile & respected actor & a deliciously mischievous persona died yesterday (9th) aged 87......he was well known in the Francophone world & was prehaps best known internationally by cinephiles in Terry Gillams infamous ' The Man who killed Don Quixote' (2000) a movie that never was.
Jean_Rochefort_2013.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR