Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Rogallo-Nasa Engineer-invented hang glider

I love this shot:
rogallospan.jpg

Francis Rogallo, an aeronautical engineer who, beginning with a model made from a kitchen curtain, designed the wing that led to hang gliding, paragliding, sport parachuting and stunt kite flying, died Tuesday at his home in Southern Shores, N.C. He was 97.

full obit
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/05/us/05rogallo.html

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Writer, artist, and all-around dandy, Richard Merkin died (1938-2009).

Here is a tribute from the New Yorker website:

Richard Merkin, 1938-2009

“I love you madly” is how Richard Merkin always signed off on the phone. Richard, whose paintings graced our pages for twenty years, died on Saturday. He was a life force, and he brought a smile to all who knew him. I was Richard’s editor, and when he phoned the office, the whole department knew it: you could actually hear his big, wonderful voice across the room.

Bobby Short whispered his name loudly when he entered the Carlyle; Richard bellowed back, “Hello, Bobby,” and charged over to deliver a hearty handshake. His passion for New York City was infectious. His love of jokes was a pleasure to all who knew him, even after the fourth telling. It was all in the delivery.

Richard loved and evoked the great spirit of the nineteen-twenties, thirties, and forties in his work. He created brilliant portraits on handmade paper, with handmade pastels, of everyone from Carmen McRae to Walter Winchell, along with several covers. (Here is a slide show of his work.) An avid reader of the magazine and a fan of Liebling, Arno, Thurber, and Angell, he drew inspiration from our pages and the magazine’s history. A lover of baseball, he illustrated “Leagues Apart: The Men and Times of the Negro Baseball Leagues.”

With his Krazy Kat-stamped hand-rolled cigarettes, custom Vincent Nicolosi suits, bowler hat, and signature mustache, Richard was a connoisseur of the good life in New York City. He was charming, and cared deeply for his many great friends, among them Tom Wolfe, Duncan Hannah, and a multitude of former students and fans from Rhode Island School of Design—not to mention the readers of this magazine.

We will miss him terribly, and continue to love him madly.

Here is the NY Times obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/us/13merkin.html

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Jim Carroll

From the NYT:

"Jim Carroll, the poet and punk rocker in the outlaw tradition of Rimbaud and Burroughs who chronicled his wild youth in “The Basketball Diaries,” died on Friday at his home in Manhattan. He was 60."

His song "People Who Died" is a classic.

MsStabby said:
From the NYT:

"Jim Carroll, the poet and punk rocker in the outlaw tradition of Rimbaud and Burroughs who chronicled his wild youth in “The Basketball Diaries,” died on Friday at his home in Manhattan. He was 60."

His song "People Who Died" is a classic.

All day, I figured no one here would respond to this. I remember it was about 1980/81 when The Jim Carroll Band was on the show Fridays
(ABC's answer to SNL) and I was a teenager holding a tape recorder up to the television to get 'People Who Died". That's what we did back then.

Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, Lux, Thunders, Nolan, Bators. There goes another bit of my youth.

Regards,

Jack

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
RIP Patrick, a gorgeous man.

I loved him in Ghost and Dirty Dancing, also in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, in which he portrayed a drag queen. He was the most personable man in drag since Tootsie.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany