Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's sad, I suppose no one will call him Shirley anymore.
[video=youtube;0A5t5_O8hdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA[/video]

Hey wait a moment, that clip is from Airplane (1980), right? This is strange, as I had just seen that film the day after Thanksgiving, as well as its sequel.... R.I.P. Dr. Alan Rumack.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Not enough folks seem to recall that Leslie Nielsen played straight heroes for the first half of his career, then parodied them hilariously in the second half.

But to somebody my age - whose vivid early TV memories include Disney's The Swamp Fox and Forbidden Planet (back when it was shown everyday for a week on NYC's "Million Dollar Movie") - knows that he was actually as good a hero as he was a goofball.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Not enough folks seem to recall that Leslie Nielsen played straight heroes for the first half of his career, then parodied them hilariously in the second half.

But to somebody my age - whose vivid early TV memories include Disney's The Swamp Fox and Forbidden Planet (back when it was shown everyday for a week on NYC's "Million Dollar Movie") - knows that he was actually as good a hero as he was a goofball.

I bet you like films with big gladiators in them. ;)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
What woman didn't swoon to his boyish good looks in "The Opposite Sex," 1956? I love that he was such a dreamboat and such a clown.

I'll admit to (still) laughing out loud at his silly movies of the "Naked Gun" sort.

images

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
[video=metacafe;280602/leslie_nielsen_ripping_one/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/280602/leslie_nielsen_ripping_one/[/video]

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Hey wait a moment, that clip is from Airplane (1980), right? This is strange, as I had just seen that film the day after Thanksgiving, as well as its sequel.... R.I.P. Dr. Alan Rumack.

In Australia the movie was called "Flying High" Not sure why it was not called that in the US. Or do I?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
'Dandy' Don Meredith dies at 72

Don Meredith, one of the most recognizable figures of the early Dallas Cowboys and an original member of ABC's ''Monday Night Football'' broadcast team, died Sunday. He was 72.

Meredith's wife, Susan, told The Associated Press on Monday her husband died in Santa Fe after suffering a brain hemorrhage and lapsing into a coma. She and her daughter were at Meredith's side when he died.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Dandy-Don-Meredith-dies-after-brain-hemorrhage-84455160?GT1=3900

Well, may he and Howard Cosell yuck it up watching football and may he be at peace.

Cheers.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy