Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought I would post this here and allow the mods to move it elsewhere if necessary. I am sorry to have to post that a good friend to the reenactor community here in Phoenix, Arizona passed away on Sunday, June 24th 2012. Herr Gerhard Franzky who served in his country's Wehrmacht in WWII, captured by the British, emigrated to the U.S. and became an American reached the end of his long march. Herr Franzky was living history and was always willing to share his stories and to help with authenticity of reenactors. He was the go to guy in Phoenix for things WWII. My greatest memory of Herr Franzky was from an airshow in Scottsdale, AZ some years ago where we met at dawn to start the day. Before our pancake breakfast he and I were deep in conversation when the over the PA came the 'Star Spangled Banner' as the color guard raised the Stars & Stripes. Gerhard turned on his heel at the first note, placed his hand on his heart and saluted the American flag. As a thick American myself I thought it a good idea to do it too (duh!). I realized at that moment through a lesson from someone who knew firsthand how great it is to be an American citizen. Herr Franzky had himself been a Hitler Jugend and an SS Leutnant and knew well life in an authoritarian regime. He chose America after the war after learning a love of Liberty in a British POW camp. I am fortunate to have his complete autobiography on CD that he gave me as a gift. My condolences got out to the Franzky family and all of his friends, both here and in Germany, where he returned to visit each year. Mein freund, "...Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!" -dixon cannon

P.S. Gerhard Franzky has a FaceBook page maintained by his family where condolences can be posted.

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Don Grady, who played Robbie -- first the middle child and then the oldest -- on MY THREE SONS, has died of cancer at 68.

1827639.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm . . only ten episodes of Lucy. but rerun at least ten BILLION times world wide over the last 60 years. I wonder what her residuals must have amounted to over the years.

Hmmm . . only ten episodes of Lucy. but rerun at least ten BILLION times world wide over the last 60 years. I wonder what her residuals must have amounted to over the years.
$0 There were none then. My father-in-law is I believe the last member alive of the Desi Arnaz orchestra. In fact, Wilbur Hatch is buried up here in Alta Dena.

Last edited:

Lord Brett

New in Town
Interestingly for a series which seems to be so hard-wired into the American psyche, the Andy Griffith Show was never exported to the UK, unlike The Phil Silvers Show, which remained popular in the UK long after it had become a fading memory in America (we got re-runs for decades!).

Those of us who remember the late Mr Griffith with affection recall him from Matlock and his very likeable late-1970s quasi-Science Fiction/whimsical action series Salvage 1, in which he played a junkyard owner who built a space rocket in order to salvage NASA equipment left on the Moon.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Here's a story Andy wrote for Guideposts magazine in 1996 detailing his struggles with Guillain-Barré syndrome. He suffered with it for a long time, but was courageous in not letting it get the best of him.

I was a great admirer of his and was sorry to learn of his passing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot