Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decorating for the Holidays

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
My grandmother had very similar-looking figures, 4 Christmas carolers. I'll have to ask my dad what era he thinks they're from. I guess I'll inherit them someday, as my sister has zero interest in things like this!

Let me know what you find out!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Here is my 7 foot aluminium tree.

000_2229a_1.jpg

And my baby tree.

000_2223.jpg

leaette

A-List Customer
Pink Dahlia said:
Mom said these were Grandma's. Added them to my decor today.

l_cbcfd7a5434224f05d1a1e6ba6087cc4.jpg

i LOVE 60's decorations. and to me...this screams 60's. can't guarantee for sure though. but that's my semi-educated guess.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Be careful (ie, don't use) electric lights on the silver trees. A local radio reporter made the mistake of doing that a couple years ago and shorted-out his entire condo building. I don't understand why - would seem to me the fuse on the string of lights or the breaker for the circuit it was plugged into would've or should've stopped the problem, but apparently not. Lots of people calling the radio show he was on with "You moron!" type calls afterward.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My tree!

I'm sitting here at the computer, faint with hunger. I have done naught but trim my tree all evening, and I ain't finished yet. But I'm 90% done. Here's Paloma wondering what this large object is doing in her living room:
Polomaandtree.jpg

I have six little porcelain bells that we acquired in 1961, as I recall. They make the most exquisite little ting a ling. The shot is a little overexposed, but you get the idea:
Porcelainbell.jpg

My most prized ornaments by far. Purchased by my father in 1947, made in Czechoslovakia. These seven are all that's left of what presumably must have been 12. Being of German extraction, and an artist, he was a serious fanatic as far as Christmas decorating went. They're in slightly banged up condition, but I think they look pretty grand for being 60 years old:
Czechornaments.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
Be careful (ie, don't use) electric lights on the silver trees. A local radio reporter made the mistake of doing that a couple years ago and shorted-out his entire condo building. I don't understand why - would seem to me the fuse on the string of lights or the breaker for the circuit it was plugged into would've or should've stopped the problem, but apparently not. Lots of people calling the radio show he was on with "You moron!" type calls afterward.

That's why they had color wheels.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:

It's also a huge fire and electrocution hazard to put lights on an aluminum Christmas tree.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Gosh, this thread keeps getting better & better. Not much progress here, but I did get the tree up in the dollhouse at least. Their presents keep getting eaten.

47b7cc39b3127cceb27a1e50ce9100000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

47b7cc39b3127cceb27a1e474fb600000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Kishtu

Practically Family
We have lots of bells on our tree and surrounding area.... not actually vintage, but look it (off out in a minute to get some candy canes too!)

When me and Him Indoors got our first tree together, we had this itty-bitty kitten and we thought, well, if we're going to have the damn thing, we'd better make it vaguely feline-friendly, so if he does pull anything off it at least it won't break. Hence the bells. We now have a 14lb tom cat who still loves to play with the sleigh bells on the tree.

Photos to follow when I'm not at work and if I can remember my Flickr password!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
leaette, you have lots of lovey decorations. I'm rather taken with that string of lights. I must say I've never seen outdoor ones like that before. Something new to start searching for.

Ditto! Those are awesome!!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
What an enjoyable thread this has been! I loved seeing everyone's decorations and hearing the stories that go along with them.
RRH, you have an awesome collection. I think we'd all have fun "shopping" at your house, lol!

Oldfashioned, your mantel is one of the most gorgeous I have ever seen. What great detail. I love the wall color with it. Chalkware peices are so cool!

Nothing really vintage xmas for me. Our living room tree is pretty traditional red/green. I have a lot of crochet covered ornies that I asked my grandma to make before she passed, so I really treasure those.
2102183191_4fd8f90e41.jpg

Our sconces were my husband's grandma's from her house, so it's neat to have those. Sorry for ALL the pics folks, there's a bunch!:eek:
2102957420_0321b5cc8b.jpg

I had a pair of xmas cowboy boots from 1995, which the date is embroidered on so I never wear them. I decided to do a vignette using them this year and this is what I came up with. I already had several western ornies, and some patriotic ones from previous years.
The bird's nest is real from our porch one summer.
2122339960_665d8ac871_b.jpg

Vintage cowboy xmas books, and an ornie with my "cowboy" son and santa,
2122347504_273631fbb7.jpg

Can't leave this out!
2121568501_f9de6ab20e.jpg

Found this stocking last year and the rope was just wavy trim. I took it off and put Nova's name on it with it instead.
2102950676_9235a4b981.jpg

2121559333_9087a39c54.jpg

Geesh, I used so many pics I had to edit my post, ack!:eek:
More in another post!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
(part 2)
It was hard to get a pic of all of this in the hallway!
2121564007_9b5293d547.jpg

I have another tree in the dining room,
2101275701_6657d2c7dc.jpg

2121548485_ff0b1f29a5.jpg

And a shot with my jewelry tree which some of you have already seen.
2102964894_a614044591.jpg

and more pink,
2102158137_52f29ff4b5.jpg

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy