Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detachable Collars

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
I haven't been able to get my collars and my bib-front evening shirts starched correctly since Bah Wong, my octogenarian launderer of choice, retired. He sold the business and the know-how disappeared. :(

It's a shame to see this know-how fade away. Here's a laundry service that's a great option (that is, if you don't mind overseas shipping!). I'm not quite sure whether or not they handle bib shirt fronts, but I'd venture to say that the probability is high: http://www.barkergroup.info/stiff_collar_laundry.html

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
One solution was the popular "Slidewell" collar, which was designed to facilitate neckie adjustment. Deadstock "Slidewell" collars pop up on eBay from time to time.

I actually have a whole bunch of the Slidewell collars, and haven't found them any easier to tighten the knot with. That little flap does protect the tie from the stud, but I have found it very difficult to get a tie properly tightened and adjusted straight with them.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
ArrowCollarMan said:
What about celluloid collars? Has anyone worn those? Would those be more plyable than paper or about the same?

Hi ArrowCollarMan:

Celluloid was an early plastic that was developed back in 1862, but the first celluloid collars probably didn't come onto the market until about 1870. Typically, the collars were interlined, which is to say celluloid bonded onto the surface of linen. As such, they had little texture, retained a high degree of stiffness (more so than paper), had good longevity and were accordingly much easier to clean and maintain than linene (which is light-weight linen laminated to cardboard) and paper collars. Over time the laminated layer of celluloid would yellow.

At any rate, wearing such a collar was considered declasse, the more prosperous classes preferring either heavily starched, light-weight linen (which wasn't that durable) or mid-weight cotton (which was very durable by comparson).

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
ArrowCollarMan said:
I'm not sure where I'd get a detachable collar that is made of cotton that would retain the stiffness I want. Any idea who might sell that? It sounds like it would be alot more comfortable.

This is an excellent site with easily the best collection of high-quality, pure cotton collars at a reasonable price point: http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/

I myself never bothered with fold-down collars - only the 2 inch tall wing-tip/butterfly-tip variety for formal evening wear. You'll find that these models are much easier to knot your tie with and because they're all-cotton, you can soften the starched edges for increased comfort by slightly wetting them down.

Need a leather box for your collars and studs? Here's a great one: http://www.pakeman.co.uk/products.asp?cat=192

mike

Call Me a Cab
whatever do you guys think of them!?

I really enjoy the extra step in dressing well. I first really saw this on film by way of Wallace Beery in Dinner at Eight. And researched it further and find it really fun buying various shaped collars and made of various materials. While going to work though, I prefer the more Donald Trump-like shirts, white collars over various colored dress shirts. Not that anyone nowadays knows this is supposed to emulate this removable collar-era but I do atleast :p

Any thoughts dear folks!? :)

mikepara

Practically Family
Yeah,

Never done it but so called 'Grandad shirts' minus collar and boxes of collars can be found on the bay at very reasonable prices I may start.

Would need a demonstration though, so get your camera out...please. The other Mike

mike

Call Me a Cab
mikepara said:
Never done it but so called 'Grandad shirts' minus collar and boxes of collars can be found on the bay at very reasonable prices I may start.

Would need a demonstration though, so get your camera out...please. The other Mike

sure! well first off you need to have collar studs, the front one is longer than the back (as it has to go through double as much material). There's lots of interesting sites online talking about how the collars were boiled to preserve the shirt's lifetime. And that for some time they made the collars of celluloid. Which can always lead to jokes about needing a shower as you've got a film around you neck...! well, I think it's funny ;)

Also originally the dog-eared collar was called a Patricide collar apparently young men would come home from school wearing them and if they greeted their fathers by a hug, these collars would slice into their fathers throats hence the name of the collar.... pretty nutty huh!?

Originally cuffs were removeable aswell but finding cuff-less shirts.. well good luck!

And there are tons of original collar bags/containers on ebay that it never gets errr old?! haha

As far as picures, well I'm at work right now and at home, well we're in the midst of moving from apartment to house so in a week or two, I'd be glad to show off some of my schtuff :D

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I actually would prefer shirts and detachable collars. I think they're cool...for some reason. More old fashioned I guess. Plus, its hard to find a wing collar that is at a good height. Most now are on formal dress shirts and way too short for a thick tie knot. =/

There a a couple of sites that sell such wears.

http://vintageshirt.co.uk/
This one looks pretty good, although I've never ordered from it.

http://amazondrygoodscollarsandcuffs.com/index.html
This site is alright. The majority of the collars they sell are made of paper. I've ordered from them before but I wasn't too pleased with the quality of the shirt they sent me and the paper collars only last a couple wears.

Stiff Collared

New in Town
Stiff Detachable Collars

whatever do you guys think of them!?

Any thoughts dear folks!

I have been wearing them for nearly 50 years and I am sorry that they are no longer very popular. I have over 100 in all styles and sizes, and they really are much more elegant than attached collars. Harvie and Hudson have just started selling a decent style again after years of only being able to get the standard cut away style. You can see it at the following site http://www.harvieandhudson.com/product.phtml?id=74

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
Speaking of starched...collars

I'm seriously considering purchasing a couple detachable collars from Amazon Dry Goods. Then I'll need shirts to go with them, of course. I've been looking around at the various shirts made for detachable collars and, aside from being fairly expensive, as white dress shirts go, they don't look that much different from regular, modern shirts, with the exception of no collar.

So I was wondering if you folks had any thoughts on taking my plain, white, Wal-Mart dress shirt to the seamstress and having her remove the spread collar and button and put button holes for the collar studs in the front and back. From what I can tell, the bit of material that comes up and attaches to the spread collar will work fine if you just remove the existing collar and put holes in it for the studs. Has anyone tried this or think it will work?

Thanks!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
J. Brisbin said:
I'm seriously considering purchasing a couple detachable collars from Amazon Dry Goods. Then I'll need shirts to go with them, of course. I've been looking around at the various shirts made for detachable collars and, aside from being fairly expensive, as white dress shirts go, they don't look that much different from regular, modern shirts, with the exception of no collar.

So I was wondering if you folks had any thoughts on taking my plain, white, Wal-Mart dress shirt to the seamstress and having her remove the spread collar and button and put button holes for the collar studs in the front and back. From what I can tell, the bit of material that comes up and attaches to the spread collar will work fine if you just remove the existing collar and put holes in it for the studs. Has anyone tried this or think it will work?

Thanks!

I've heard of this being successful, but the collar band on a collar-attached shirt is often taller/wider than the ones on tunic shirts. It may have to be reduced somewhat--which may or may not be possible, depending on the placement of the front buttonhole.

One other note--realize those Amazon collars are very thin linen bonded to what is essentially thick paper. I don't think they're as comfortable as real cotton/linen starched collars would be, and they certainly aren't as durable. One wearing and the stud holes are in danger of tearing out. If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting some real cloth collars from one of the British retailers that sell them.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
When I was a cadet, we had starched collars and cuffs we had to pin or clip into our dress and full dress blouses. They were white cotton and highly starched. Not very comfortable...

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
since they state in their ad used in theaters, would shade of white be different than your shirt? I was ask due to the strenght of the lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran