Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detachable Collars

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
My Tailor.

Marc Chevalier said:

Evan, please post the following in this thread:

1) photos (or a link to them)

2) the name, address and/or phone number of your tailor

These will be extremely useful to Fedora Loungers who wish to follow in your footsteps. Thanks!

Well, as of the moment, I haven't my fiance about to take decent photographs of me to put up on here....But, I can tell you quite succinctly that I have a butterfly wing tip collar (where the turned back wings are rounded instead of pointed), an imperial stock collar, a narrow spread antique turn-down collar which I bought from a LAHA chum, and my spread collar from which came with my tunic shirt. My tailor makes up collars for about 20 dollars, but the quality is impeccable, and he is usually willing to negotiate some sort of terms when items are bought in larger quantities. furthermore, my tailor will make most any shirt in a detachable model for no extra charge in my experience. You can certainly ask him yourself, he'll be in California very soon, this month actually as he'll be on his U.S. Roadshow! It's always better to get measured by him in person the first time, by any tailor really. I've also never had any misadventures regarding the clothing which he's produced for me.

Oh, one other thing, I'm not sure yet, but the collars which are to be had from http://www.ushist.com/victorian_shirts_detachable-collars.htm may in the semi-near future actually be produced by my tailor as I recently spoke with the proprietor of that site/store/mercantile and he informed me that two of their collar producers are no longer cogent businesses, in short, that they have suffered economic dissolution and their supplied collars will no longer be available. He was I believe, negotiating some sort of supplying deal with my tailor as I had given him my tailor's information and he seemed rather interested. My tailor's collars are also of much higher quality than the ones which the site currently carries.

One thing though, if you use my tailor, do me a favour and mention my name; Evan A. Everhart of Los Angeles. I'd appreciate it.

Anyhow, my tailor is Mr. Ravi Ishoo Daswani of MySuitShop.com.

http://www.mysuitshop.com/shops.php?ShopID=1

He makes bi or tri-annual "Road-Show" circuits of the United States, Canada, Britain etc., et all, so he is most assuredly personally accessible to most people, especially those living in major cities. The Road-Show visitation catalogue may be seen and accessed by way of joining the mailing list and requesting it.

As regards Mr. Daswani, he's the best around regarding the combination of superb quality and affordability which he provides. Aside from this, the customer service is impeccable and he's personable in person!

My family have been in tailoring for I don't know how many generations, at least since the middle of the nineteenth century; I know quality tailoring and I know when someone knows what they're doing and talking about with high quality tailoring. Mr. Daswani DOES. Check him out.

Mr. Daswani actually listens to you! Unlike most so-called tailors these days.

He's British trained from what I understand, Indian by descent, and currently resides in Thailand from where he operates his manufactury and where his central business offices are located.

Aside from the above, most details regarding the number of buttons or the rise of trousers and the like are highly negotiable, either include them in your notes, or mention them to him and he will let you know what everything will cost you - usually nothing for changes to the number of buttons unless exorbitant (like adding ten or twenty buttons with button holes or something). He's a Good man!

Hope this's been a bit helpful. Not meant as a plug, but merely as my own endorsement of a man who's company and services I highly regard and who's services I feel and know could most certainly benefit you; my friends, acquaintances, and associates on the FedoraLounge. Oh, he also does women's clothing.

Sincerely Yrs,

Evan Alexander Everhart

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Harvie and Hudson

Harvie and Hudson whom I'm a fan of having bought my shirts from there for over 40 years sell tunic shirts and detachable collars. They have a website, I'm not sure if the tunic shirts are listed but you can call them in London and they will mail anywhere in the world. Whatever you do, get the collars in your correct collar size, if 15 1/2 is your collar size get a collar in this size, not something bigger because you "think" it will be more comfortable. It won't be because it will rub and give you a sore neck plus the fact you will look like a tortoise. The tunic shirt collar size is then 1/2 a size smaller or 15.0 if you have a 15 1/2 neck size. If you buy off the peg shirts make sure you get extra long sleeves as for some reason they seem to shrink more than regular shirts. Instructions on starching or laundries that do heavy starching are available elsewhere on this site. One style point, stiff collars do look exceptionally good with a contrasting striped shirt.....I'm not keen normally on contrasting shirts/collars (a bit too Donald Trump) but in this case it looks really good.

sproily

Practically Family
I have my fair share of detachable collars,

I've bought about 20 collars from ebay. All vintage 1920's thru 1940's. I have half a dozen of eton collars that are size 15" and they're quite snug for me as I wear a 15½.

I will post pics if someone wants to see them. I also have this leather box for them, although they all don't fit in!

I also have some in size 16 but they're mostly stand up collars.

I've bought a double round collar from the vintage shirt shop that somebody mentioned here. It's by far my favorite collar, although not as stiff as the others I have.

Here's a general view of my collection

img4376a.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Removable collars should be used 1 size(.5") larger than "your" regular collar size. If your collar size for regular shirts is 15.5", then you needs a 16" in a removable collar, due to the fact that the collar fits outside the collar band(which IS your neck/collar size) of the tunic shirt.

B
T

Cobden

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Removable collars should be used 1 size(.5") larger than "your" regular collar size. If your collar size for regular shirts is 15.5", then you needs a 16" in a removable collar, due to the fact that the collar fits outside the collar band(which IS your neck/collar size) of the tunic shirt.

B
T

A good general rule, but one has to be careful as some manufacturers sold collars in neckband size - i.e. the size given was half a size less then the actual circumference. IIRC, van Heusens are like this

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
J. Brisbin said:
I'm seriously considering purchasing a couple detachable collars from Amazon Dry Goods. Then I'll need shirts to go with them, of course. I've been looking around at the various shirts made for detachable collars and, aside from being fairly expensive, as white dress shirts go, they don't look that much different from regular, modern shirts, with the exception of no collar.

So I was wondering if you folks had any thoughts on taking my plain, white, Wal-Mart dress shirt to the seamstress and having her remove the spread collar and button and put button holes for the collar studs in the front and back. From what I can tell, the bit of material that comes up and attaches to the spread collar will work fine if you just remove the existing collar and put holes in it for the studs. Has anyone tried this or think it will work?

Thanks!

Mr. Ravi Daswani of MySuitShop.com has made and continues to make any shirt from his line for little to no extra cost for me with a detachable collar. His shirts start at $35. (USD) and he sometimes has shirts available from $30. on sale. He does excellent work and travels the country two or three times a year to measure people in person. He knows his business and my tunic shirt with the detachable collar that he made to go with it is just gorgeous and fits better than any other shirt that I've got. You should make sure to specify which type of collar you'd like or bring an image of the collar style that you'd like.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
My tailor, Mr. Daswani of MySuitShop.com makes them for me starting at about $35.(USD) and he does a stand up job. You just tell him that you want whatever shirt it is made with a detachable collar and he does it. If the shirt has a certain collar as shown though, you will get the same style of collar unless you specifically ask for a different collar and show him a picture of the collar that you want. You basically have to discuss it with him.

Bugsy

One Too Many
I have about a dozen tunic shirts with detachable collars. I find them to be quite elegant. Unfortunately for us Yankees, they seem to be much more popular in the UK than over here. I have seen many business men in London wearing them.

filfoster

One Too Many

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I only wear detachable collars, though most of mine are fold-over 'soft' collars. They're still starched, but only lightly. I also have some semi-stiff and stiff collars. Soft collars can be boiled less frequently, which makes maintenance quite simple once you've got the starching and ironing down.

bpworks

New in Town
Speaking of starched...collars

There is more of an art to seperate collars & shirts than one might think. Your thought is somewhat like putting water in the gas tank of a Rolls Phanton!!

In my previous life in men's retail I did this for a number of my Anglican clergy friends who were to cheap to do it right. It works but not very well.

I looked at the web site & saw this:

**SPECIAL OFFER**
Shirt Plus Combo $75.00
(Pictured on Home Page)
1 - Neckband Shirt (White)
5 - Collars Any Style
1 - Set Brass Coated Buttons

For a collar & shirt that would fit together very well this is a bargain. That is my suggestion.

They call me "Mr. Checks"

Schofields

Familiar Face
go to vintageshirt.co.uk

ive gotten some really great collars from them for a great price. the permanent press ones are my favorites.

sadly, the celluloid and cardstock collars are no longer being made, so take heed if ordering from places that carry these; their stock may not be up to snuff. ebay has collars on it pretty regularly, but most of the time for sizes 16 and under. occasionally theyll have above that, but its pretty rare, and more often than not theyre a bit more on the yellow side than the white side so the only way you could pull them off is with a shirt that is NOT white.

speaking of cardstock collars, ive got a stack of about 10 or so sz. 16 perry collars if anyones interested ;)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
A bumper, bargain, bonanza find last weekend at a local antique fair, all 9 are 17", 171/4" or 17 1/2" which is marvelous as I am a
16 1/2"-17"all nine for a tenner;
2z8z22f.jpg

four wing collars by different British makers;
2nav9mc.jpg

four 'day' collars No 81by Austin Reed;
wup5oj.jpg
b8l01s.jpg

and another day? collar of a slightly different design No 104 again by Austin Reed;
2r2nncx.jpg
sztyk9.jpg

ka1k75.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails