Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Buco J100 review.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
I've got a sizing question guys. On a jacket like this there's quite a bit of drop from shoulders down through the natural waist/abs before flaring out at the hem. My question is how much allowance over your natural waist size do you like your jacket cut at?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My natural waist is 32" to 33" depending on my weight, a good fitting jacket for me should have a bottom hem of between 19.5" and 20.5", with a max of 21" before it starts looking like a bag.
This Buco is 19.5" at the bottom of the zipper and 20.5" at the bottom of the jacket.

I usually aim for 19.5" shoulders, 23.5 chest and 20" bottom hem.

Edward

Bartender
Really, when it comes to long distance orders, I'd go belt and braces to make it 100 % clear: v clear, detailed instructions with illustrative photos of what you're referring to!

Yes. IT never hurts to be exact. Tricky when you're doing it by mail - which is one of the many reasons why a lot of us find a manufacturer or two with whom w are happy and stick to that: it's very easy, for instance, for me to say to Holly @ Aero that I take a 44 in a Dustbowl and a 42 in a HWM, and then get advice on how another model might fit from there.... but getting everything clear from the off is important.

maybe collar is included in his measurement?

That did occur to me. A few years ago if you'd asked me to measure a jacket's back length, I'd have measured from the top of the collar - I know now that a lot of manufacturers measure the back from below the collar join.

I think that's an excellent idea. BK, to their credit, did not a bad job with their 'how to measure' pics, but I think a video illustrating how to do it would be ideal. I wonder if it's concern about liability for people who still screw it up, which there would invariably be, that stops them doing this?

I don't know, you'd think it would make screw ups less likely. I've often wondered myself whether it's more that a lot of manufacturers worry it might give too much away about their patterns for the benefit of rivals?

It boggles my mind that anyone could have that many things to say to the maker. I've ordered 3 jackets from Johnson Leathers entirely via email, no phone conversations, and I don't think I sent more than 6 emails for each jacket.

Depends how far along you are, really. Buying my first jacket I sent maybe adozen emails back and forth; now I could do it on two - or, indeed, even one if I was sure about sizing and the specifics of what I wanted. That's experience, though...

I'd fear that by the 600th email that whatever you had stipulated in the first/400th email was completely different. Or forgotten. Or just plain ignored. It's like when somebody gives you complicated directions to somewhere: you take in the first few, or perhaps the last couple of turns, but for the rest the person may as well be like the teacher in old Charlie Brown cartoons!

I had the impression that's why Aero started up the order forms they use nowadays. Way back in 2010 when I orered my first one, I remember getting in an email at the end of the process asking me to clairfy the exact options for which I'd asked, just so that they were all clear.

I've got a sizing question guys. On a jacket like this there's quite a bit of drop from shoulders down through the natural waist/abs before flaring out at the hem. My question is how much allowance over your natural waist size do you like your jacket cut at?

For a jacket I'll wear just a shirt under, I like 48" round the chest, and 4-6" drop to the waist/hem, depending on cut.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think many of us send an obscene number of emails on a first jacket, myself included when I was new to this, but lately maybe 6-7 emails, half of those sent to thank the people responsible for a great jacket after receiving it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I just checked back and, remarkably, just three emails on my first one. I guess the initial visit to the factory took away a lot of the guess work and then it was me kvetching a little over the throat clasp (thankfully I got rid of that idea!).

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whenever I exchange multiple e-mails regarding a particular jacket, I ALWAYS send a final e-mail that includes ALL information, specifications and details about the jacket. You can't expect a jacket manufacturer to assemble the information from multiple e-mails, particularly when certain details have evolved during the exchange. Its the customer's job to put it all together in a single e-mail.

Insurrection sends a written order and asks that you sign off -- that eliminates any confusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred