Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Buco J100 review.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
awesome looking jacket! I'm curious which pics best show the flaps you were referring to?

The staple holes:

DSC_4217_zpstzwpnrkj.jpg

The "flaps"

DSC_4218_zpsyair0ij3.jpg

I spotted the flaps from the start, but they were held down by clear coat so i assumed they were just an imperfection in the clear coat.
After a few hours of wear they just opened up, you can see the two on the right are really pretty obvious, there are a couple more thin cuts on the left, but they are not as deep.

There was something similar on the sleeve, but it was shallow enough that i could just cut polish it off with a glass rod.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
And you still wouldn't consider selling it? XD

Considering i ended up paying just under $1400 dollars for it and that they now sell for $949, and that it has many imperfections, i don't see how i could sell it without loosing a lot!

But i doubt i would anyway...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
oww, just make a story about being bitten by a viper for the flaps, and by an angry gecko for the staple holes :D looking at the hide, I would buy that story, even if you say it happened 20 yrs ago.

I never even mentioned it to him...
I didn't have the best experience communicating with Dave, and when the jacket arrived with all these problems i just decided to cut my losses and keep it.

Well it is a shame, but a much better fit than the first one. That and the stunning grainy hide does make it very difficult to complain much to DD again. However, he should have been aware that he might hear about it as he sent it out. This hit and miss stuff sure isn't good for the DD reputation for sure.
HD

A-1

One Too Many
Well, I must say that DD was very nice to me and incredibly patient.
Thing is, working with someone always is great as long everything works fine.
But I must say my jacket also is 2" shorter than I've ordered it. But still our relationship is good. And I must admit that I've written him 200 emails literally and he was very patient and helpful!
To me it's not worth the hassle to making the same jacket, just an inch longer, especially concerning the time and money that has to be invested.

Plus, a very important thing for me to mention is that I think a lot of people here have been incredibly detailed with their observation of the jackets of D. In my opinion we can find little problems with all the makers and their jackets. Well at least that's what I've experienced with the jackets I've seen in person and bought. Even in RMC and Himel.
I think it's cool for us to review in all detail though. But sometimes you might get the impression that DD is the only one who has problems working with leather.
Don't wanna piss anybody off here or come of rude, it's just my very humble opinion.

Last edited:
Yes it's true, all jacket companies can and do make mistakes. However, if a maker has a tendency to even ship out faulty re-makes as 'good enough' or jackets 2" shorter than specified, it can begin to look like a consistency that may cause some customers to question whether they should look elsewhere rather than take the risk. Being surprised by the occasional mistake is still more favorable than just feeling relieved that you received a winner.
HD

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, all companies make mistakes, it's how they deal with them that makes the difference.

DD was very nice to me too, up until the point where there was a problem... That's when things got awkward...
Personally, even though i don't regret buying this jacket, i will never buy anything from DD again, and i will never recommend him to anyone i know either.
There are just to many people around doing great work to waist time with things like that.

I mean to think that after 200 emails you still got a jacket that was 2" shorter than ordered is just mind boggling!

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't have the best experience communicating with Dave, and when the jacket arrived with all these problems i just decided to cut my losses and keep it.

Thats a real shame.

But I must say my jacket also is 2" shorter than I've ordered it.

Inexcusable.

To me it's not worth the hassle to making the same jacket, just an inch longer, especially concerning the time and money that has to be invested.

Disagree. This is a long term investment. You should get it right. Given that Dave made the first jacket two inches shorter than you ordered, he should insist upon remaking it, and he should absorb all associated costs.

In my opinion we can find little problems with all the makers and their jackets.

Absolutely true. There are no perfect jackets, nor flawless manufacturers. That said, there are acceptable flaws and there are unacceptable defects. IMHO, two inches shorter than ordered is an unacceptable flaw that requires a remake.

Yes it's true, all jacket companies can and do make mistakes. However, if a maker has a tendency to even ship out faulty re-makes as 'good enough' or jackets 2" shorter than specified, it can begin to look like a consistency that may cause some customers to question whether they should look elsewhere rather than take the risk.

^ That.

Agreed, all companies make mistakes, it's how they deal with them that makes the difference.

^ That.

I mean to think that after 200 emails you still got a jacket that was 2" shorter than ordered is just mind boggling!

Agreed.

Personally, even though i don't regret buying this jacket, i will never buy anything from DD again, and i will never recommend him to anyone i know either.

Unfortunately, I have heard similar sentiments from other DD customers (including through private communications because some do not want to publicize their criticism (or have been compelled to bite their tongue)).

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Superfluous. 2 inches shorter is unacceptable to me. If you really are satisfied, good for you, but you really should make sure it is something you are willing to live with forever.

At this point Dave is completely off my radar. My jacket was pretty decent, but there were flaws and he is really hurting his reputation with all of these mistakes right now.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not sure that the maker is showing his customers very much respect with what appears to be a 'that'll do' approach to his jackets.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I know I'm always making a fuss about this, but could the 2" be attributed to a difference in measuring b/t DD and the customer? I've had several custom jackets where the maker seemed to count the back length as the front part that overhangs below the true back. I'm not sure what your jackets look like from behind. Just throwing it out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters