Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Buco J100 review.

dan_t

Practically Family
I can concur.
Anything over $1k will attract the eyes of the government. On an Aero purchase earlier this year, the additional was also just over the +20% from what I remember. This kicked the jacket up to WELL over the $1,500 mark. And that was with a somewhat reasonable conversion rate.
Nowadays, you'd be looking at the following;
Say GBP630 to buy + GBP50 for postage. That's approx AUD$1,454. Now add 20% = $1,745.
Most reasonable businesses won't put a lesser value on the customs paperwork & even if they do, the team at the border still have the right to 're-value' your product if they expect something fishy going on.
If you can't buy 'it' for under AUD$1,000 - it is best advised to mentally add the +20% to +25% amount and then make your choice.

It's second hand for me until the AUD rebounds - which unfortunately I can't see happening anytime soon.....

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Sad but true mate. I got in touch with Pickings and Parry in Melb. They stock Aero, which I didn't realise. They couldn't even give me a firm price due to exchange rate/ customs. Pretty bizarre for a retailer I thought. It was $1600 plus, with the possibility of having to pay a surcharge if anything changed. One more to go and I'm out. Too hard,too dear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I can;t see myself paying that amount for a leather jacket given the great second hand stuff around for under $300 US (if you're a size 42). I guess I can afford to spend $2000 on a jacket if I really want to but as I've written before that amount takes the joy out of what is essentially a fun proletariat item of clothing. I've jealous of my friends who have never paid more than $30 on a well selected thrift shop jacket and have never felt the poorer for it.

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
Seriously, this is the last time I'm trying this overseas thing. If it doesn't work out this time, I'll just walk into a store and try on some jackets. I mean there are great stores and great jackets.
I've already lost hundreds in shipping and customs back and forth. So I'm giving it one last try.
1000$ is a whole lotta money for me. My friend works in Ethiopia every once in a while and has a leather jacket tailored for him fully customized for 60$ there. He has been wearing it for 10 years now, it's his only leather jacket. So it's getting way more wear than most of the jackets owned by most loungers I assume.
I always wanted something special, and special somehow meant better and more expensive. And yet I've found out during my last purchases that my 1000$ jacket is waaaay less durable than his 60$ jacket. Mine has 2 broken seams and 3 holes in the lining in some weeks of pampering. His has nothing of the kind in years of hard wear.
Somehow I haven't given up hope yet, haha.
Writing this makes me think why I haven't asked him to bring me a jacket...
He offered me once or twice.
Probably I'll do that if this also doesn't work out. But right now I try to be positive and hope that it works out this time.

- Everything's Collapsing! -

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Stick with the program A-1! It's hard ordering stuff online, expensive, custom made stuff. I've had a few false starts, and every so often I sit down and do the maths about what I've lost flipping jackets etc. it's mind boggling. My Langlitz still makes me happy every time I put it on. I can't imagine ever selling it.Prior to that, 2 new Schott,2 used Schott, several Harley jackets. My boots, I went through 3 pair of Wesco, I've had wrong sole/ heel put on, I've sent expensive vintage buckles from Japan to them that got lost and never got put on boots etc etc. I ended up with 2 pair of Whites boots I love, the Langlitz and now the Aero. I too have got a DD special in the works. Don't give up. Dave is a super star. He may have had the odd drama, but every maker,jackets/ boots/jeans has similar issues from time to time. The thing that impresses me is that whenever it's happened, he clearly sorts it out quickly, and certainly seems to do the right thing. When you consider he is a one man show, all the remakes come out of his own pocket, and it can't be cheap.I'm yet to hear of him not doing the right thing by an unhappy customer. I also think a few of the mistakes in his jackets have been blown out of proportion, and magnified to an unfair level compared to other makers. At the end of the day, I'm as interested in what these guys do when things go wrong as I am when everything's tickety boo. For mine, I felt comfortable/ confident enough to grab my second DD jacket without any hesitation.No qualms at all. I'm excited about it, and I genuinely enjoy dealing with him. I also think if he was chosen by JL of Goodwear to make jackets with him, he must be pretty good? Fear not mate. Buckle up and enjoy the ride. From reading your post did you fall out of love with your BK? Dealing with Dave is a whole different ball game then the boys at BK, it is from my experience anyway. Enjoy it mate, I'm sure you will end up with a cracking jacket.

A-1

One Too Many
Bunyip, thanks for your positive words!
And yeah, I'm also VERY positive about the way DD is dealing with things right now. He is super quick and always very friendly, insightful and helpful.
It's just that too much of bad experiences toppling up makes you doubt. Yet I'm optimistic that DD will get it right.
Thanks again buddy!

Roma

A-List Customer
Current exchange rate Martin. Anything more than a DVD or a belt from any non Asian country is going to be over 1k these days! DHL sent me an invoice for well over 20%. That's all customs fees, clearance fees,DHL commission, GST etc etc.I've never experienced it before. I honestly thought it was a scam.I've bought lots of bike parts, books and jackets etc and had cruised for 4-5 years and never been pulled up. The worst thing was that jacket and leather bike jeans didn't fit, so another $200 posting it back. Makes a genuinely extravagent luxury purchase all the more luxurious on the old key card....
Hey Benny, what jacket didn't fit you?

Roma

A-List Customer
I thought we are here in Russia poor guys with 1000 Euro no duty limit. Sorry to hear that, guys. And it's 1000 Euro, no matter what exchange rate is. So in the local currency the threshold is always going up. And the government don't include shipping cost.

A-1

One Too Many
By the way, the BK jacket is in Greece for a professional repair. Andy was really nice and said they will repair it no problem. Still, I had to pay the shipping again. No customs though.
As soon as it’s back, I’ll be selling it here in the lounge. I just never seemed to really fall in love with the russet. It’s a beautiful leather but I’d like to have a darker leather, namely BLACK. Haha. If the jacket was black, I’d keep it...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like someone in Australia needs to take a vacation to Scotland sometime soon and take an extra empty suitcase for everyones orders lol.

I've been damn lucky with customs, I haven't been stung with any additional costs

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hey Benny, what jacket didn't fit you?
It was a case of what did fit me! I was brand new at custom ordering, and living on my own. I wasnt too sharp with the measuring tape, and approached it like a mall jacket, with near enough is good enough. Every company I have dealt with has done the right thing 10 times over. That's the most important thing to me. Not the initial mistake, wether my fault or theirs, it's how it's managed. That for me, is the point of difference in dealing with a solid company and paying the big bucks. It's always preferable to get it right the first time, but with distance and different interpretations on how to measure, and the fact that Australian tape measures are actually different than international ones,it's how it's all managed.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
By the way, the BK jacket is in Greece for a professional repair. Andy was really nice and said they will repair it no problem. Still, I had to pay the shipping again. No customs though.
As soon as it’s back, I’ll be selling it here in the lounge. I just never seemed to really fall in love with the russet. It’s a beautiful leather but I’d like to have a darker leather, namely BLACK. Haha. If the jacket was black, I’d keep it...

Personally, I would tell anyone going for their first high-end jacket to go for dark brown, a la FQHH; it's just easier to live with and more flexible in terms of every day wear.

A-1

One Too Many
True dat Sloan!
But the russet looked so delicious on the photos and it also does in reality. It's a beautiful hide.
And it was available. I had to wait very long for the other hides.
Still, I think black or a dark brown are way better to go with everything.
The russet is more of a head turner. A lot of people recognize it as a beautiful and exceptional hide and I received loads of compliments for the design and the fit as well.
Writing all this makes me rethink my intend to sell it. Haha.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
True dat Sloan!
But the russet looked so delicious on the photos and it also does in reality. It's a beautiful hide.
And it was available. I had to wait very long for the other hides.
Still, I think black or a dark brown are way better to go with everything.
The russet is more of a head turner. A lot of people recognize it as a beautiful and exceptional hide and I received loads of compliments for the design and the fit as well.
Writing all this makes me rethink my intend to sell it. Haha.

You might end up keeping the BK, and having a DD too. It wouldn't be the biggest crime in the world!! Variety is a good thing. And, like you said with the hideous costs involved everywhere, you won't get that back when you sell it mate, might be best to hang onto it.

A-1

One Too Many
But every cent I get back is good as I've just bought a house. So I'll be needing it.
And I don't really want two leather jackets. One is fine.
I've got some great other jackets as well, actually more than enough variety already.
It's not that I even need one leather jacket. Haha.
I'm more and more getting rid of things. It feels very good letting things go.
So the DD is gonna be the one. BK s gotta go.
There will be someone else who appreciates it more than I do, I'm sure.

Edward

Bartender
I actually specified the Sateen lining for my DD J-100. I believe it's the same sateen lining that Goodwear uses. I always found the cotton drill to be scratchy-( particularly the stuff that Aero uses.) And sateen works perfectly for this climate. No fraying yet...I'm crossing my fingers.

I always think of California as very hot, but then in SF you get all the fog and cool breezes coming off the bay, don't you? I definitely find anything satiny holds the heat in more than drill.

Try living on the other side of the planet! My Langlitz, and two aero have gone back, plus 2 pair of Wesco. My DD jacket fit me great. It happens to all makers. I think the way they handle it makes the big difference. All these guys were great,and looked after me. It's just frustrating with post cost and the extra 2-3 weeks turn around.

Yes, dealing with these sorts of things at distance can be problematic, through no fault of the company. For me in London, it's definitely worth the occasional tri pto aero to try stuff on, but that would make things even more crazily expensive coming from Auz!

Not only customs duty but also 10% GST and also customs brokerage fees if declared value over AU $1000. Below that blissfully nothing. I believe the government has shelved the reduction of customs duty threshold for the time being probably because they need to hire a lot more people and they hate doing that.

Sounds quite high by comparison. Here in the UK we do benefit from not having to pay any tax for imports from within the EU, but beyond that the ceiling is something like GBP16.00 (!) before you get charged 4.5% import tax on top of the combined shipping and purchase price, then another 20% VAT on top of that. Which mounts up very quickly. That said, sometimes it's worth playing the game, as the purchase price here in the UK on many things is often double what it is in the US when the exchange rate is on our side - back in 2008/9, for instance, the US dollar shrunk to USD2.20 to the pound, which made it very cheap for us to buy from the US. More recently, it's not been so good.

It's second hand for me until the AUD rebounds - which unfortunately I can't see happening anytime soon.....

I've not been following Aus news, but I had the notion the currency must have been hit hard in the exchange rates, as I was recently browsing Hats Direct looking at the Federations. Sounds like I should seriously consider jumping on a few in the new year, as they're currently about 2/3 the price I remember them being the last time I looked.

Sounds like someone in Australia needs to take a vacation to Scotland sometime soon and take an extra empty suitcase for everyones orders lol.

It coulde certainly save a lot on shipping, even with tax to pay at the airport!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
But every cent I get back is good as I've just bought a house. So I'll be needing it.
And I don't really want two leather jackets. One is fine.
I've got some great other jackets as well, actually more than enough variety already.
It's not that I even need one leather jacket. Haha.
I'm more and more getting rid of things. It feels very good letting things go.
So the DD is gonna be the one. BK s gotta go.
There will be someone else who appreciates it more than I do, I'm sure.

I can' wait to see the result, especially since you choose steerhide!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy