Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disappointing try at an "inexpensive" jacket

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
First, let me apologize for not posting pictures of me wearing the jacket, but I boxed it up and shipped it back almost immediately. The following pictures are from the website.

Between a promotional discount and a coupon, I was able to order this jacket for $270 including shipping from www.bluefly.com. I don't regret the attempt, but the jacket wasn't worth keeping.

http://www.bluefly.com/Cockpit-dark-brown-antique-leather-zip-front-bomber/SEARCH/305655901/detail.fly

Picture2-1.png

Picture3.png

My complaints:

First, the leather lacked depth. It looked plastic-y and had a funny chemical smell. I might have over-looked these things (and hoped the leather would get broken in and the smell would dissipate), but the fit was awful, too!

The pockets, which were on the large side, hit at the perfectly WRONG spot on my belly and made it look like I had a huge beer gut (which I don't). In the jacket's defense, if I had a beefier chest, it wouldn't have looked funny, but I don't.

Also, the jacket had too much bulk just above the waist and midway up the sleeves. It was if they were trying to taper the leather down to the elastic cuffs. At first, I thought this might just be the style of the jacket, but looking at others' pictures, I think it was just poor design. Instead of looking fitted (as I would expect with the wool cuffs and waist), it looked balloon-y and exaggerated.

The last thing, which is just preference, is that it had a partial storm flap that went about 3/4 of the way up. It looked funny unzipped, so I would have felt like I always would have had to wear it zipped up.

I suppose, on one hand, this pushes me closer to a custom order (likely an Aero), but on the other, I'm afraid to commit even more money to a jacket I can't just return and forget.

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on both the expected fit of this type of jacket (both out of the box and broken in) (And particularly, would the "balloony" fit have gotten better as the leather got broken in?), as well as custom vs. off the rack.

Thanks ahead of time!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your review, I found it very informative on their product. Is that jacket a variant of the U.S. Navy G-1? It doesn't seem to be titled so in the site, hmm. I agree with you on the pockets being quite large, though.

Anyway, I'm on the search for a decent G-1 leather jacket at an affordable price, hopefully under 250 dollars.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
The storm flap is standard on G-1 jackets, so you probably want to look at a different design if that bothers you. (I'm with you on it, had a G-1 and decided that I didn't really like the storm flap, so I currently have an A-2.)

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Cockpit makes a nice budget G-1. It's not a stitch for stitch rep and doesn't claim to be. I tried one on in their NYC store and really liked the cut and quality of materials/stitching.

How authentic are they? They've been contracted to make the modern issue flight jackets whichi is more than can be said for most current repro jacket makers... you be the judge.

They can be had for a few beans more than 275.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

here are some pics of my custom "civil" Aero M422a. The specs are a little different on this one:
-No bi-swing back
-Studs instead of buttons for the pockets
-Double layer A2 waistband instead of single weave deadstock waistband
-Less plushy fleece for the collar

As you can see the jacket's been made from exceptionally thick veg tanned goatskin which has a nice mottled surface. No chemical odor here, just a bit of, well goat and a nice undertone of bark and herbs, as it's straight veg tanned . Oh, and the jackets rests perfectly flat on my belly.

All I want to say is: Save for an Aero. It's well worth it!!

2980697505_4b57763364.jpg

2981216100_470371444a.jpg

2980349199_b9db4ecc17.jpg

2980349195_f8c019e1be.jpg

2981521504_f0a88a5147.jpg

too much coffee

Practically Family
Joe;

With all due respect, why would you be interested in a reproduction G-1 jacket when you can buy an original Vietnam era G-1 for less than $275.00?

Granted Aero, Gibson and Barnes and the Cockpit offerings are nice jackets with sometimes more creature comforts than the originals, but at what price?
If I can buy the original for less money and knowing I have the real article, to me it's a no brainer. I don't know maybe it's just the principle of the thing because as we have witnessed, JanSolo's Aero is outstanding.

I wish we could all buy original A-2 jackets at the same prices some of the repro makers charge for their modern wares. But I can't afford $1100-$2000 for an original A-2 nor can I justify $900-$1000 for a modern reproduction A-2 because it's just that, a reproduction.

Trust me, a vintage goatskin U.S. Navy G-1 jacket is one of the better bargains out there.

If your intent was not to buy a G-1 look a like, then my words are not pertinent and are in fact, irrelevant.

Good luck with your search!

Best regards...........coffee

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Jan: Thanks! Yours, in fact, was one of the jackets I had admired!

Coffee: Hmm. Where to start? First, I guess, is I appreciate your opinion. I didn't really consider a vintage jacket, mostly because I have this thing about wearing someone else's clothes. I think this dates back to growing up in hand-me-downs! ;) I guess I would consider a used jacket, if the right one popped up, but really, I was looking for something new.

As far as authenticity, I'm looking for a classically-styled new jacket, not really a reproduction. There's another thread going on right now about a "fashion jacket" (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=52261), and I wanted something a little more timeless. With that said, though, I'm not all that interested in a stitch-by-stitch reproduction. I certainly couldn't tell you what's what... And in fact, I just want a jacket that looks (and now, after this jacket smells) good.

I guess the final thought in why I've stayed away from vintage jackets is that the main source I have access to is eBay, and most sales are final. So that means if, once I try the jacket on, it has strange pockets (and/or smell), I've wasted my money.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
Joe;

With all due respect, why would you be interested in a reproduction G-1 jacket when you can buy an original Vietnam era G-1 for less than $275.00?

I'm with the caffeinated one on this. I bought a mid-to-late-1970s G-1 with the USN windflap perforation off ebay for £50 a coupla years back. It's a Cooper, so the goatskin's a little thinner than on an earlier original or a high-end repro, and it has the dark brown mouton collar, but it's correct in style. From trying quite a few on over the years, I would say that the pre-1970 jackets are very true to size (e.g. a size 42 actually measures 42 or 44), so mebbe buy a size up in those, and go a size down for a mid-1970s onwards example, then you'll have a nice trim fit. It's great with a thick sweater or a five-button GI wooly-pully and jean jacket under it in the winter... great value! If you're worried about an odd-fitting jacket, you're local army surplus / militaria shop should at least have some modern G-1s you could try...

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I've considered this route myself but I do not want to wear a 40 yr old leather jacket. I can imagine the condition for these vintage garments varies alot. For prices sellers are asking on ebay, I can almost buy a new one from a current contractor.

Mr Badger said:
I'm with the caffeinated one on this. I bought a mid-to-late-1970s G-1 with the USN windflap perforation off ebay for £50 a coupla years back. It's a Cooper, so the goatskin's a little thinner than on an earlier original or a high-end repro, and it has the dark brown mouton collar, but it's correct in style. From trying quite a few on over the years, I would say that the pre-1970 jackets are very true to size (e.g. a size 42 actually measures 42 or 44), so mebbe buy a size up in those, and go a size down for a mid-1970s onwards example, then you'll have a nice trim fit. It's great with a thick sweater or a five-button GI wooly-pully and jean jacket under it in the winter... great value! If you're worried about an odd-fitting jacket, you're local army surplus / militaria shop should at least have some modern G-1s you could try...

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
The good G1

IMO, one of the reasons why Jan's jacket looks good is that it fits right in size (probably custom made?), and and the old style shape (not blousy in the waist).
I suppose it will be difficult for you to find a G1 that fits you like this one in modern leathercraft like cockpit, schott or else...
So. I'm agree with the two solutions evocated here: an old one on ebay, or a new one (more expensive) from a serious repromaker. The third solution is a second hand of a recent one from a serious repromaker.
I'm agree with you, when you're buying a used clothe on the bay, you accepted to be disapointed: it's a game, one day you win, the next you lose... It's not bargain each time...
The 3/4 windflap is a normal thing for a G1, the mine got snug fit specially on the arms.
Good luck in your quest :)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks for the nice comments concerning my jacket. Just for the record:
This is not a custom fit jacket. It's a standard size 40 minus bi-swing back plus one inch for sleeves and body. I am 6 ft (184cm) tall and have a 39-40 inch chest.
Aero's M422a (and basically all vintage jackets and accurate repros) are much slimmer fitting than any A2 with escpecially narrow sleeves and a tight lower body part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic