Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dishes Men Like (Food!)

Josephine

One Too Many
I made Banana Sour Cream Pound Cake. I beat the living daylights out of the butter/egg/sugar mixture, so it was very fluffy, enough that I put a one loaf recipe in two. That's why they're so flat (sank a bit after they got out of the oven) instead of tall like regular pound cakes. But they're very light, unlike regular pound cakes. :)

BSCPCake1.gif
BSCPCake2.gif

green papaya

One Too Many
1940's food

I was watching some old B&W 1940's movie and remember the man was enjoying his breakfast, I think he was having,

scrambled eggs, kippers, coffee, toast

Josephine

One Too Many
Non carb? I'll have to get back to you on that... :)

I'm trying out a new Pineapple Upside Down Cake, and it said to bake for 25-30 min. Hmm I thought, that's rather quick. Check it at 25 min and it hasn't risen much, and is still very pale. A cake tester comes out clean. I'm still suspicious, as the cake jiggles some when I move it. So I stick a knife in and it comes out covered in batter. :p I checked my usual recipe which says 40-50 min, and added time. Checked it before I hopped on, and it's risen! Yay!

Josephine

One Too Many
Pineapple Upside Down Cake (with Sour Cream)

I have a special Pineapple Upside Down Cake pan that was my mom's. My Dad really liked Pineapple Upside Down Cake and thankfully so does my husband. :)

PCake1.gif
PCake2.gif

The pan

PCake3.gif

The batter

PCake4.gif
PCake5.gif

The cake! Unfortunately I flipped the cake onto the cake stand instead of the cake stand onto the cake, then flipping them both over. So the pineapples and cherries slid off a bit. Heh. :D

Josephine

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
As my Aunt used to say "imperfections are how you know it's homemade". It looks beautiful--nice cake stand too.

Thanks! I semi collect cake stands. Semi as I'm usually too cheap to get any when I find them. :D

What a great thread!
PSG, your beef dish looks like something I would make.
The pineapple upside down cake looks heavenly!

Like PSG, I cooked with my Granny all my life. The dishes I make that are like hers are the ones I am most proud of.
Just last night I made her beef stew with dumplings, which to me is the ultimate comfort food. Sorry no pics!

I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner and making turkey and stuffing just like hers.
Here are some pictures from last year. The table cloth was hers too.:)
tg062.jpg

tg063.jpg

tg065.jpg

tg064.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner and making turkey and stuffing just like hers.

Roast Turkey, yum! That looks soooooooooo good. The best thing about being in charge of TGiving dinner is being able to pick at the Turkey when I carve it away from the table. We alternate with my Aunt's family and my Uncle and I will nosh while the rest of the gang is waiting at the table. :D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Cherry Red, that all looks delicious! Sorry I missed your post earlier for some reason. It's unlike me to overlook good food.

Miss N, that looks very tasty, actually!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Now I have a craving for chicken and dumplings! I made a pot of pulled pork for this week--the last taste of Summer.

MissWednesday

New in Town
CherryRed said:
What a great thread!
PSG, your beef dish looks like something I would make.
The pineapple upside down cake looks heavenly!

Like PSG, I cooked with my Granny all my life. The dishes I make that are like hers are the ones I am most proud of.
Just last night I made her beef stew with dumplings, which to me is the ultimate comfort food. Sorry no pics!

Here are some pictures from last year. The table cloth was hers too.:)

tg063.jpg

My nana had the EXACT same table cloth CherryRed!! Seeing this photo took me right back to my childhood :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy