Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diversity

Something like this drool worthy Lawrence:
IMG_0043.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
colors in leather jacket I would wear in current mindset are
grey, black, range of brown to tan, olive and dark blue.

anything purple and red or magenta, or bright colors are still out of my zone. because they're hard to combine with other clothing items I would wear with. I imagine people who like print fabrics on their shirt, and white pants can pull off many more different shades of colors, but since I like to wear grey and black or some brown it is hard for me to wear those other colors.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I mostly have black and brown leather jackets. I started out with black motorcycle jackets, and branched out.

I do have one grey leather jacket, which I've yet to properly photograph and show off here. It's a strange color, the more you look at it the more you second guess what color it really is. It's hard to photograph.

As far as colors go, I think if you're going to go with something other than black or brown, then warm (reddish) browns give way to burgundy/cordovan, and true reds. Russet is the gateway drug. Michael Jackson can wear the bright red, and if you're flashy enough to pull it off, you can too. Not really my thing, I like stuff that's understated. Same goes for other colorful hues. A muted green or olive might be OK, or a navy or midnight blue. Brighter blue, green, or yellow, I'm not going to tell someone else what they can't wear, but I can't see myself pulling it off. I've learned not to rule anything out, but I know what works for me pretty well by now.

Style-wise, I mostly like half-belts, cafe racers, and cross zip motorcyle style jackets. I'm less into aviator style jackets -- I think they're cool, I just don't think they're right for my style. The shearling lined bomber jackets, the Irvin and B3, while they look amazing, I feel are destined to be less practical as global warming reduces the range of their practical use. As well, I feel like sheepskin doesn't hold up as well as cow and horse and goat do. I just see way too many old sheepskins that have torn, or have major cracking and flaking issues, which I find unseemly. I do like the shawl collar style jackets, like my Thedi or the Aeromarine. It's just a handsome style that works well, particularly for older wearers, and dresses up well, and doesn't exactly scream "flyboy" when you wear it.

Edward

Bartender
I remember wanting a bright red with white flashes cafe racer just like the one Brad Pitt wears in the headlight smashing sequence in Fight Club, but while I still think it's cool, it just doesn't fit with my look these days (99% of my stylistic druthers are for styles pre about 1957).

Part of the equation of the emergence of oddball colors-Aero, Thedi, and others, have new colored leathers. Those, to my knowledge, weren’t around in 2012.

This comes back to chicken and egg type things. Popular brands that people love like Thedi and Aero are loved because they produce cool jackets - and naturally it gets to the point where jackets are also cool because they make 'em, and. well, they make cool jackets. A popular brand like Aero can become something of a tastemaker: remember when Ken came back to Aero and first introduced the PIoneer in Kudu? A split back, a lighter hide.... things that just weren't popular. almost viewed as a mark of poor quality, when I first frequented this saloon in 2007, but which nowadays, especially with the effective trebling of Aero's range since 2012, are all the rage. The same effect can happen with coloured leathers.

I'd agree that brightly coloured leathers are a new beast in our niche, though it wasn't unknown historically. I started a thread on this issue a wile back, and the consensus was that green, red, blue, w.h.y. jackets were around in the 20s, mostly as college sports jackets. They certainly had the full range of leather dyes back then - just look at the seats of cars from the period! I'd say what held them back from being as mainstream as black or brown was that folks back then had so much smaller wardrobes. Most of us here have the disposable income to afford a whole bunch of jackets; the typical working man back then could maybe only afford one, so he was that much more likely to go with something more conservative that fitted more/all of his limited wardrobe...

Where they comeback in the big way in the UK is the 70s - right through their heyday, Lewis produced jackets in dark greens, navy blue, and burgundy as well as black and brown, but by 1978 they were selling the classic designs in bright red, canary yellow, blaze orange.... and marketing the enhanced visibility of the rider to other vehicles as a safety feature(!) (Notably, Volvo were selling bright orange cars in the early 50s with much the same line.) Some of the Lewis catalogues from that period look like the shoots were done in a fetish club with a thing for the Teletubbies.... (anachronistic, I know - Teletubbies appeared in 1996). Nonetheless, while these morphed into the birghtly coloured power ranger gear, it has taken much longer for our niche to embrace colour again. I'm very keen on the navy vicenza, myself, though my first new Aero was actually my Cordovan Bootlegger...

As far as the so-called loss of morality or civility is concerned, much has to do with the fact that there is more content, and users here, than ever. There were times past when it’d be over an hour or two between outerwear posts. Now, with more users, this place is more alive.

While increased forum growth and posting can be great, it's certainly true that we face challenges with Undesirable types - all popular bars face the same, I'm sure.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well lemme see... I've Brown and Black of course. I've Olive, Green and that's about it. Nothing too bright... kinda subtle most of the time.

Worf

The more I consider the thread title the more I think the fact of the matter is actually much deeper than shades of leather or colors and material.

It occurs to me that there is actually a diversity in the hobby itself, more specifically how one approaches it. Some here are explorers. Who take chances on unheard of brands, styles and quality without binding themselves to preconceived notions or standards. Others adhere to strict and rigid principles/ aesthetics and only buy accordingly. I won't say one is better than the other but the former certainly keeps the joint more educational and read worthy.

We would have an incredibly boring forum if we didn't have the explorers. The TM's, Michael A's and Red Devils. I'd like to count myself in those ranks ( although I've fallen on both sides of the fence) and there are countless others as well. I propose that the only way this place keeps itself interesting is b/c it's members explore. Without the risk takers this might as well be a Burberry/Alexander McQueen toilet with an only mildly different ethos.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I love the diversity. Other’s exploring vastly different colors and styles allow one to visualize each presented that would be minimized by a biased imagination had someone else not grabbed the brass ring.
They’re all good, just better for some.
B

Edward

Bartender
Is that an AlpineStar jacket, or is the resemblance to their logo coincidence?

That blue is a shade that wasn't entirely uncommon in British motorcycle leathers from 1978ish, into the eighties decline of that industry. I've even seen a few Lewis Lightnings in that colour.

Is that an AlpineStar jacket, or is the resemblance to their logo coincidence?

That blue is a shade that wasn't entirely uncommon in British motorcycle leathers from 1978ish, into the eighties decline of that industry. I've even seen a few Lewis Lightnings in that colour.

It's Vanson, B.

CRAZYBUBBA

Familiar Face
I haven’t really done many colours, the only exceptions are vintage bates racing jackets (although they no longer fit me)

Whenever I pickup a colored vanson etc they almost always end up in a trade/sale sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy