• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Do Men Hate Women's Hats?

Discussion in 'The Front Parlor' started by Mayor La Trivia, Dec 1, 2014.

1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Niece on my sister's side. We get her gift certificates at a shop in Stratford, Ontario called The Green Room, with many vintage inspired items.

She was 19 at that time, approaching 21 now. Hair is a bit shorter and now her natural brunette, but otherwise much the same!

scottyrocks likes this.
  2. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

Here's my idea of a beautiful woman in a hat:

She's a German entertainer but she looks so Southern to me in her appearance, in spite of her dirndl. She's Bavarian, which at least is Southern German. The man's hat looks pretty good, too. I always have to explain that I grew up listening to yodeling, only it wasn't that good. She's about 31 in the video.

3. When I was young many women wore hats, particularly to church. There was a huge variety from small and conservative to huge and flamboyant. Easter Sunday in particular was a practical hat parade with light and vivid colors. As the years go by I see less and less of this. Now it seems showy to wear such a hat because no one else is. I remember every Easter I got a new spring suit to wear and my sisters received new spring dresses and matching hats. This has died out in my community, and I suspect it isn't doing well in most areas. It seems that the tradition is doing better in African American communities where both men and women still dress with some panache.

As to liking women in hats: my wife in a large brimmed floppy straw hat puttering in the garden is always alluring to me.

4. 515987920.jpg
    What the well-hatted woman wore, 1943.

BobHufford likes this.
  5. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

Absolutely, but I also like the small fascinator when worn as an accessory. In the sixties I couldn't take to the ladies jockey caps yet now I really warm to them.
    i love lucy 5.jpg

BobHufford likes this.
  6. tmal

tmal Familiar Face

Everyone looks better in a hat, For men it covers their bald spot. For women it gives them an air of mystery or allure. Ladies, think Film Noir.

7. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

It depends on the hat.

As a woman I appreciate beautiful hats.:) Love them!

For the rest of hats I don't care so much.

this is me wearing a kind of 1920s hat ....I'm ashamed of it today lol

[​IMG]

BobHufford and V.C. Brunswick like this.
  8. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

Thank you V.C :)

9. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

What's not to love from this veil hat Myrna Loy is wearing in the 1930s me thinks it looks great!:)

[​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.
  10. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

Shanghai -Express anyone ? Marlene 1932...veil hat

[​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.
  11. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

My humble opinion

Men do not hate women's hats....(I'm a woman of course but I can have my opinion)

Who came up with that ridiculousness ...who:mad:

12. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

Thank you BobHufford! :D

BobHufford likes this.
  13. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 A-List Customer

Another veil hat this one from the 1950s Jane Russel

[​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.