Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr. Who?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Anybody else here ever watch the felt wearing Dr Who?

dr_who_3.gif

sdoom.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They cancelled the show about 20 years ago.
It ran for nearly 40 with various actors playing the Doctor. The longest running show in the UK. There was talk of bringing it back

They used to run it on PBS locally.
Very poor and campy special effects (they made the show).
Very interesting BBC Sci-Fi.

Zane

Suspended
Looks a lot like the hats many people wore around here when I was much younger. Has a well worn look.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Tom Baker.

One of several who played the Doctor.
The character had about 12 lives. Through the series he died about 6 times, and I think so far there have been 7 Doctors.

Good way to keep a show going is change the actor playing the main character. Always the same person, yet never the same person.

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Absolutely!!!

Hey Matt: I was a major Tom Baker (Dr. Who Fan) back in the 80's. I actually wore stuff quite similar to college, including a 26 foot scarf which I had knitted to BBC specs by a friends mom. It was indeed cool :cool: Except, for the one time I was late for class and ran for it without knowing the end of my scarf had snagged the brick corner of the Hall LOL . All of a sudden I was lik a dog on the end of a choke chain eh, went right off my feet and onto my backside. :eek: .
I still have the thing and should consider wearing it again, since the tempts here still haven't broken the 60's. Argh!!!!

Kilgour Trout
Watch out for Daleks!! or was that Dalex??hmm....

thefish

Familiar Face
Incidentally, the actor who followed Tom Baker, Peter Davison, (who had risen to fame as Dr. Tristan Farnor on "All Creatures Great and Small,") wore a Monticristi Optimo.

The fellow that followed him was hatless, (and tasteless at that,) and Sylvester McCoy the last televised Doctor, (until the 1996 Fox/BBC Made-for-TV debacle with Paul "Withnail and I" McGann,) ALSO sported a rather battered Optimo Monticristi with pencil-roll brim and a saffron Katmandu bandana as a hat band. This was initially Sylvester's actual hat that he'd worn to the audition.

I've actually been considering having PanamaBob and Art whip me up a reasonable facsimile. I loved that hat.

Anyway, Chris Eccleson, who was the military commander in the modern zombie flick, "28 Days Later" will be portraying the Doctor when it returns to television in 2005 with "Queer as Folk" writer Russel T. Davies at the helm. It is unknown at this time whether or not he will sport a chapeau.

I'm not a rabid geek...No...Not at all...

By the way, Kilgour...Don't get me started on Buckaroo Banzai!

-Daniel "The Fish" Trout ;-)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Herbert Johnson claims to have made the hats for Baker in Dr. Who.

I've seen a couple of the Velour style ones from HJ pass by on Ebay. They always look cool.

The beauty comes in the way he just doesn't care how it's worn... he just wear it.

If you watch it episode by episode like I crazily did, you can see the hats get more mashed and shrink here and there as time goes by.

No the image is not reversed... he just stuck it on willy nilly.

st--4c11.jpg
st--4c07.jpg

tom-baker.jpg

tom-baker-as-dr-who.jpg
doctorwho.jpg

baker_1496323i.jpg
bakert6.jpg

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Wow. That brim just looks....wobbly. :p
Tom was my favorite Doctor, and his was my favorite look for the character. I think he inspired me to get an equally amazing (but shorter) scarf based on the couple of designs he wore. But that's another topic for another forum...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I understand what you're saying, and I agree that is more appropriate to spell it "Doctor Who," but I think of "Dr." as being an abbreviation for what in this case is used as a proper name, "Doctor," much in the same way that "Geo." is sometimes used as an abbreviation for "George."

swinggal

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Herbert Johnson claims to have made the hats for Baker in Dr. Who.

I've seen a couple of the Velour style ones from HJ pass by on Ebay. They always look cool.

The beauty comes in the way he just doesn't care how it's worn... he just wear it.

If you watch it episode by episode like I crazily did, you can see the hats get more mashed and shrink here and there as time goes by.

No the image is not reversed... he just stuck it on willy nilly.

Tom Baker - best Doctor Who EVER - bar none. I don't think I ever missed an episode as a kid until after Peter Davidson. My dad, sister and I watched it religiously every night at 6:30pm...after dinner. I love Toms eps the best.

Back to hats...don't forget his Scottish Balmoral in Terror of the Zygons

Terror2.jpg
[/IMG]

tz_1.png

Jon Pertwee (Dr No. 3) also a had a style of his own. Much more flashy and dandyish. Lots of velvet, ruffles, capes, bow ties and tweed. I liked him too but not as much as Tom. He had his own cool quirks. And some early eps he even wore a hat too.

Spearhead+costumes.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Charlie Huang said:
That's Doctor Who, not Dr. Who. 'Who' is not a proper name and 'Doctor' is not a title in this context.

While I realize that "Doctor" is not a reference to his being a medical doctor, it still sounds more like a title then anything else to me. He is referred to as "The Doctor" and even refers to himself that way. If it is not a title of some sort, what is it?

Regards,
Tom

swinggal

One Too Many
Well, after watching Dr Who for almost my entire life... I don't really question why...he just IS the 'Doctor' but in answer to your question...

Alias "The Doctor"
Quite apart from his name, why the Doctor uses the title of "The Doctor" has never been fully explained on screen. The Doctor, at first, said that he was not a physician, often referring to himself as a scientist or an engineer, saying later in the series that he was "a Doctor of everything." However he does occasionally show medical knowledge and has stated on separate occasions that he studied under Joseph Lister and Joseph Bell. In The Moonbase, the Second Doctor mentions that he studied for a medical degree in Glasgow during the 19th Century. He has also been mocked by his fellow Time Lords for adhering to such a "lowly" title as "Doctor," although in The Armageddon Factor he tells Drax that he achieved his doctorate, indicating it was at least a somewhat respectable title. In "The Girl in the Fireplace," he draws an analogy between the title and Madame de Pompadour's. In "The Sound Of Drums," the Master remarks to the Doctor that they both chose their names, and that it was sanctimonious of the Doctor to identify himself as "the man who makes people better;" one of the Master's assistants calls him a doctor of "everything." The Fourth Doctor states that his companion, Harry Sullivan, is a Doctor of medicine, while he is "a doctor of many things" (Revenge of the Cybermen), but on another occasion states that his doctorate is only honorary. In talking with Harry in Robot, the Doctor states "You may be a doctor, but I'm the Doctor. The definite article, you might say."

The Telos novella Frayed by Tara Samms (which takes place prior to "An Unearthly Child") has the First Doctor being given that title by the staff of a besieged human medical facility on the planet Iwa, suggesting at the end that the Doctor liked the official title so much that he adopted it. However, this does not quite explain why the Time Lords use the same title in addressing him. The same story also has Jill, a young girl living in the facility, naming the Doctor's granddaughter "Susan" after Jill's mother. The canonicity of all non-television sources is uncertain.

To make up for his lack of a practical name, the Doctor often relies upon convenient pseudonyms. In The Gunfighters, the First Doctor uses the alias Dr. Caligari. In The Highlanders, the Second Doctor assumes the name of "Doctor von Wer" (a German approximation of "Doctor Who"), and signs himself as "Dr. W" in The Underwater Menace. The Eighth Doctor's companion Grace briefly refers to him by the alias "Dr. Bowman" in the 1996 Doctor Who television movie.

In The Wheel in Space, his companion Jamie McCrimmon, reading the name off some medical equipment, tells the crew of the Wheel that the Doctor's name is "John Smith." The Doctor subsequently adopts this alias several times over the course of the series, often prefixing the title "Doctor" to it. This name is particularly prominent during his third incarnation when, as scientific advisor to UNIT, he gives it to Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart to be put on his official credentials. The Tenth Doctor is using the name when he unsuspectingly meets Sarah Jane Smith whom he had not seen for several incarnations. Suspicious but in public, she mentions that she used to know a man who sometimes used that name. He explains, "It's a very common name." In response, she remarks, "He's a very un-common man."
In the audio adventure, The Sirens of Time, when the 5th Doctor is asked his name, this conversation ensues:
"I'm the Doctor."
"Doctor? That's a profession, not a name."
"It's all I have."

In "New Earth", it is implied that the Doctor is part of the prophecy of the Face of Boe and is referred to as "The Lonely God." In "Tooth and Claw", having landed in Scotland, the Tenth Doctor introduces himself as "Dr. James McCrimmon," from the township of Balamory, in reference to the Second Doctor's companion Jamie. Later in that episode, the Doctor is knighted by Queen Victoria as "Sir Doctor of TARDIS;" she then declared him an enemy of the crown and banished him for all time, with Torchwood in part created to enforce this exile.

To his greatest enemies, the Daleks, the Doctor is known as the Ka Faraq Gatri, the "Bringer of Darkness," or "Destroyer of Worlds." This is first mentioned in the novelisation of Remembrance of the Daleks by Ben Aaronovitch and subsequently taken up in the spin-off media, particularly the Virgin New Adventures books and the Doctor Who Magazine comic strip. Davros uses the title "Destroyer of Worlds" to describe the Doctor in "Journey's End." In "The Parting of the Ways," the Doctor claims that the Daleks call him "The Oncoming Storm" — this name is used by the Draconians (whose word for it is "Karshtakavaar") to refer to the Doctor in the Virgin New Adventures novel Love and War by Paul Cornell.

In The End of Time, it is mentioned that after smiting a demon in the 13th century, the residents of a convent called the Doctor the "sainted physician."
The series has also occasionally toyed with the Doctor's identity (or lack thereof). In the first part of The Mysterious Planet, the Doctor suggests writing a thesis on "Ancient Life on Ravolox, by Doctor...", but is interrupted by Perpurgilliam "Peri" Brown. In The Armageddon Factor, the Time Lord Drax addresses the Fourth Doctor as "Thete," short for "Theta Sigma." Later, in The Happiness Patrol, this was clarified as a nickname from the Doctor's University days; he is called by this name again in the Paul Cornell novel Goth Opera. In Remembrance of the Daleks, the Seventh Doctor produces a calling card with a series of pseudo-Greek letters inscribed on it (as well as a stylised question mark). This may be a reference to Terrance Dicks's and Malcolm Hulke's book The Making of Doctor Who (1972), which claims that the Doctor's true name is a string of Greek letters and mathematical symbols.

The question mark motif was common throughout the eighties, in part as a branding attempt. Beginning with season eighteen, the Fourth through Seventh Doctors all sported costumes with a red question mark motif (usually on the shirt collars, except for the Seventh Doctor — it appeared on his pullover and in the shape of his umbrella handle). In the 1978 serial The Invasion of Time, the Fourth Doctor is asked to sign a document; although the signature itself is not directly seen on screen, his hand movements clearly indicate that he signs it with a question mark. A similar scene occurs with the Seventh Doctor in Remembrance of the Daleks.

In an interview with The Age in 2003, Tom Baker mentioned that the Doctor is called so because he is "a doctor of time and relative dimension in space".[8] Apart from being called a doctor of the TARDIS, the Doctor has also been referred to as just a "doctor of time travel."[9]

In "The Lodger", the Eleventh Doctor states "I'm the Doctor, well they call me The Doctor, I don't know why; I call me The Doctor, I still don't know why".

From Wiki

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Literally speaking a doctor is someone who teaches a doctrine. Meaning a PhD in, for example, languages normally makes you more of a doctor than a medical doctor is. In the UK he won't have a PhD usually but the equivalent of two BAs. I have heard it said that calling a medical person 'doctor' is an honorific; and that when he retires, it no longer applies.

That is why I call them a leech, which is the ancient word for a medical person (and strangely, has a parallel etymology to the creature of the same name still used in medicine, but is not related).

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Doctor in the traditional sense means 'he who teaches' and refers to the academic doctor. Doctor in the medical sense is a honorific in the UK as the base degree for medicine is the MB BCh (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery). There is an ongoing joke with my academic colleagues saying that medical doctors are not 'real' doctors as they don't hold a doctorate (and some GPs on hearing that my said colleague has become a PhD remarked 'oh, so now you;re a real doctor unlike me')! But of course, in the US and other countries where the base degree is the MD, there is no such problem. But then, there are surgeons who, even after being awarded the honorific of 'Doctor' then reverts to the 'higher' honorific of 'Mister'.

Anyways, back to The Doctor. From my discussions with my academic colleagues, I think He does indeed have a doctorate of some kind (think a DSc, though I'm not sure). I think that given that He has been referred to as Doctor so many times, it has more or less become some sort of proper name and many of the people in the series use it as a proper name. But it seems interchangable at least with a title when 'The' is used. As for 'Doctor Who', again, 'Doctor' in full is correct as using 'Dr.' in front of 'Who' implies that Who is a real and proper name which it isn't and is as wrong as using 'The Dr.'

Sorry but Whovians are that snobbish about Dr. vs Doctor usage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters