Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts - help!

S

Samsa

These past couple of months I've begun to assemble a proper wardrobe - i.e., a couple of suits, wool dress slacks, ties, a couple of hats, etc. Anyway, yesterday I bought six dress shirts, and am most disappointed with the way they fit. They're all my size - 16 1/2 34/35 - but all seem to be too large! I've never had this experience with dress shirts (though, until recently, I've not been very accustomed to wearing them).

The collar and sleeve length is fine - they just seem too baggy; it looks like there is simply too much fabric. I feel like Jerry in the "Puffy Shirt" episode of Seinfeld. lol

If it helps, my general build is:

Height - 6' 1"
Weight - 185

Does anyone have photos of how a dress shirt (sans jacket) should look? Do you have any insight as to why this is happening to me? (And no, they're not "large fit" dress shirts. I made that mistake a couple of weeks ago.)

I would post some pictures, but don't have anyone around to hold the camera.

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Welcome to the club.

Unfortunately, "baggy" is the norm. However, there are some labels (such as Brooks Brothers) offering slim-fit options.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I second the idea of the Brooks Brothers "slim fit" shirts. They are actually more "normal fit" than "slim fit" in my opinion. Most shirts available today seem to fall on either end of the spectrum, either skin-tight or super-baggy.

The Brooks shirts I mentioned are the exception it seems.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Any competent tailor can clean up the excess material in the body(side seams, darts) but trimming excess sleeve material can be trickier.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I have the same problem...but

I picked up a "slim-fit" Calvin Klein dress shirt from TJMaxx, of all places. I think it only cost about $20 and it is probably the best-fitting modern dress shirt I have ever owned-- smaller arm holes, doesn't bunch up in the back so much above the waist. 100% cotton, too!

--G.R.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Griemersma said:
I picked up a "slim-fit" Calvin Klein dress shirt from TJMaxx, of all places. I think it only cost about $20 and it is probably the best-fitting modern dress shirt I have ever owned-- smaller arm holes, doesn't bunch up in the back so much above the waist. 100% cotton, too!

--G.R.
Thanks for going into the trenches and coming back with the information! TJMaxx! Nice avatar,by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran