• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by StraightEight, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Surprises me. I had a zillion receipts for things done from tune-ups, carb rebuilds, and well, I listed it all before, plus what I did myself, after I bought it. They still need the idle adjusted here and there to keep them starting and warming up easily. There is no way around the occasional tinkering with a vintage car.

My Grandpa told me he had to do plenty of maintenance on his cars back when, too. It's wonderful you have all those records.

Heck, even my newer cars are frequently going to the shop. Case in point, the Caddy's acting up....AGAIN!

2. Big Man

Big Man My Mail is Forwarded Here

I saw the absolutely best looking 1955 Buick Roadmaster I've ever seen today. It was on the side of the road for sale, and I just had to stop and take a look. They were asking $22,500. That's a lot of money, but it sure was a fine looking car. Looked just like it came off the show room floor in 1955. I wish I'd have taken some pictures.

3. StraightEight

StraightEight One of the Regulars

Looks like we're 1A in the Army again, this time in the 1st Medical Battalion, 1st Division. We'll be picking up the wounded on Omaha in June '14 in our Dodge WC54 ambulance. It's quite the workout to drive, especially on English roads. Non-syncro crashbox 4 speed and suggestive brakes. I had to floss a few Daihatsus out of the grille last month after a 40 mile drive from Cambridge to Norwich.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

5. Big Man

Today was "drive the old cars day" for me. I started out with the '48 Plymouth. Took it for a drive around the countryside. I hadn't had it out to amount to much in a couple weeks, so it was good to let it get some driving time. I think it helps the old cars to actually "work" now and then. I did notice a little trouble shifting from second to third. The last time this happened the linkage needed adjusting. I suspect (hope) that's all there is to it this time. Other than that, the drive was a nice one.

When I got back from that drive, I took the '65 Ford to a meeting at the church. I took "the long way" back home around the lake and had a very nice drive with that car. I've been driving the Ford since 1983, so really don't feel like it's an "old" car, but more like "just another" car if you can understand what I mean. I feel comfortable driving the '65 Ford just about anywhere. It's always been a reliable car and has never really let me down in all the years of driving.

After I got home with the Ford, I took the '61 Chevy out for a short drive to the Lake Club and back. I'm still building up my "confidence level" with the '61, as I had to bring it "back to life" after it had been sitting in a field for a number of years. After I finally got all the bugs worked out once it was running again, it hasn't given any trouble excepting for a pesky exhaust leak near the heat riser. It only makes the sound when under pressure, and then it's not enough to matter to anyone except me. Oh well, there's always another "project" waiting with any old car ...

6. The oldest car I've ever personally owned is a 1977 International Scout, but it was always a work in progress. What I used to say about it is probably true for any car more than 25 years old; it's a labor of love, and if you don't love to labor on your love, you probably ought not own one.

7. JonnyO

JonnyO A-List Customer

8. cpdv

cpdv One of the Regulars

[​IMG]
    From my more sloppy days. Shes a 39 Plymouth. Unfortunately I'm forced to sell her so if anyone wants pm me if you are interested but otherwise admire this fine Chrysler corp product!

9. Big Man

Very nice looking '39 Plymouth.

10. Big Man

[​IMG]

Thought #1: How fast can this old Plymouth go on this straightaway?

Thought #2: Can I slow it down in time to make the curve at the end?

Thought #3: I think I'll just keep on doing 45 mph and enjoy the ride.

11. I love it when vintage and classic cars are used as everyday drivers with no respect for 'correct' restoration. I recently spotted this vintage Jag with an outrageous paint job in the parking lot at the builders supply. I talked to the owner and yes, it's his daily driver. When I came out of the store, he was loading his car with some 16' 2x6s. He laid them down on the ground, slid them under the car, tied up the ends to the front and rear bumpers, and away he went. Now that was some serious coolness...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

13. Peter_E

Peter_E Familiar Face

Does your dog have a driver's license, then?
    2013-04-07 MG Club Cumbria Rood of England Challenge (9).jpg
    He did a pretty good job reversing, looking in the side mirror like that.:eusa_clap

14. Biopro

Biopro Familiar Face

She is very talented:

15. StraightEight

StraightEight One of the Regulars

One of these is not like the other. At the Yankee Air Museum air show last weekend.

[​IMG]

16. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

Might as well leave this here -
    http://nomoreroadtrips.blogspot.com/

17. sola fide

sola fide One of the Regulars

My old and new cars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sold my 48 Dodge Club Coupe because she was too much of a project and I didn't want such a modern car and replaced her with a 38 Master Deluxe Town Sedan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just delivered from Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Inside is clean, but not correct color.
    Mike A

18. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco A-List Customer

Mike that is one nice car! And since all you had to do is just wash it to make it look super nice, I think you really scored.:D

Mike