Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Hate Personified

New in Town
Could be a way to describe the GMC V12 - two V6s bolted together nose-to-tail.

Speaking of bolted together V engines...

[video=youtube;xq-D2RvwoQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-D2RvwoQA[/video]

[video=youtube;VfswVtaZJHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfswVtaZJHU[/video]

(perhaps not quite in the spirit of the thread, but interesting nonetheless.)

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Speaking of bolted together V engines...

[video=youtube;xq-D2RvwoQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-D2RvwoQA[/video]

[video=youtube;VfswVtaZJHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfswVtaZJHU[/video]

(perhaps not quite in the spirit of the thread, but interesting nonetheless.)

I think I would be willing to settle for two less cylinders and have this 1939 Packard Twelve instead :D
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Wip4A6LnM[/video]

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I think perhaps it is time to bring renewed life to this thread.
Do any of you folks that have vintage cars have any grouses about how others lack of consideration, and respect, when it comes to the treatment of your personal property, which happens to be your prized auto. I will start out with the following:

Why is it that others need to lean on or touch your car in order to look at your car? And in many cases parents don't even bother to say anything to their children! I have a brother in law turn around and find someone sitting in one of his cars that he had at a car show! The complete nerve of the person.

Last edited:

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I was at a show one day talking to a lady who used to race Model A's. When the car suddenly lurched to one side and I heard a thump. I spun around to find that some guy had lifted his kid and set him down on the running board of the car to look in (the front door was closed). He must have seen the look on my face and quickly removed his kid and walked off. I don't mind if you want to look in, I will even let you sit in her, but please ask first. To me it is all about consideration of other peoples things.

Mike

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I actually had a guy lift up his preschooler and plop him down on the seat of my motorcycle. I actually had to go over, ask him to remove the kid, and when he started to look offended, explain to him how dangerous it is to put a small child on a vehicle that weighs almost 600 lbs when you don't know how steady it is, not to mention the hot pipes and engine.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Please don't anyone get me wrong. I am more than willing to answer questions about my 65 Lincoln convertible, providing they are not being a wise guy. And I have even let others sit in it, have taken pictures of them in it with their phones. It is just, like others have said before. Please ask before touching and parents kindly keep both you and your children's hands off the car unless invited to do otherwise.

And Lizzie, As to the Chevy small-block question. I once saw a 1936 classic that had some interesting upgrades that included air conditioning, a cd player, mauve velour seats, and stainless steel and wood mini steering wheel that looked like it belonged in a drag racer, and last but not least a chrome plated chevy small-block.
To make matters worse the car that had this horror done to it was none less that a Packard Twelve!!! It just goes to show the old adage is correct that "just because you have money, does not mean you taste," or in this case brains as well.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I can top you all! Back in the mid 90s, we were at an airshow with an SNJ5, [Navy version of the T-6] I let a kid sit in the back seat, he suddenly stood up, jumped on the seat, then scrambled down the spine of the airplane, out on the left stabilizer and down to the ground, faster then you can read this. fortunately, he was light enough that he did not punch any holes in the fabric covering on the elevator! I just stood on the wing with my mouth open.

My dad's the worst on the touching of automobiles. I drive a lot of square-bodied 70's and 80's styled vehicles. He always thinks the hoods are tables. One day, at work, my co-workers counted 16 drink rings on the hood of my Colony Park lol

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
^^ #1 the setting of things on my hood is annoying. A friend was helping me unload a piece of equipment and threw the chains and binders into the bed of my truck scraping up the tops of the bed rails in the process.

#2 Some random person opening up the door on my '61 beetle ragtop and removing my swamp cooler. When I asked him WTF he thought he was doing, he told me he just wanted to get a closer look at the cooler.

Another time a drunk threw his mountain bike into the side of my freshly painted truck and physically assaulted me. He left in an ambulance.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Slamming the car door. :mad: Why in the h*** do people think they have to slam the door to get it shut?

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Slamming the car door. Why in the h*** do people think they have to slam the door to get it shut?

I think it's from the fact that you have to with modern cars. The things tupperware burp now.

Hi Tom & Big Man,
You got that one right! I also have the problem of people slamming the door of my 65 Lincoln Convertible. The doors on my car weight a ton, but close very easily. It is not the case with the more modern cars. Some of these modern cars would be ill advised to run a stop sign in front of our cars. For instance mine is 280lbs shy of 3 tons. Imagine what would happen to a Smart Car running a light in front of me!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's necessary to slam the doors on many imports -- even my '69 VW, you had to slam the door with full force unless one of the vent windows was open: the car was nearly airtight and interior air pressure wouldn't allow the door to close fully.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I rode in an 80's Lincoln Towncar for carpool when I was a teen.
The driver used to tell me "don't slam the door it's balanced, and that's really annoying." :)
Darn if he wasn't right. Just a slight push of the door and it closed properly each time.
Nowdays, you do have to slam the door. Not sure why unless it's the build quality.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
It's necessary to slam the doors on many imports -- even my '69 VW, you had to slam the door with full force unless one of the vent windows was open: the car was nearly airtight and interior air pressure wouldn't allow the door to close fully.

:cool:
[video=youtube;1qB0lb401ZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB0lb401ZU[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy