Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman - a new direction?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
These gloves are one Eastman product I REALLY like, I think they complement any[brown] jacket really well, especially if you order them without the decal. And if you think they are expensive, well, compared to their wooly watch cap for £50 they are a bargain.

I actually ordered one of these watch caps at the same time as the roadstar i mentioned earlier.

It was so small it could barely fit my mid sized head, and it really didn't look any better than a regular ebay £10 wool watch cap.
It went back with the jacket!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I actually ordered one of these watch caps at the same time as the roadstar i mentioned earlier.

It was so small it could barely fit my mid sized head, and it really didn't look any better than a regular ebay £10 wool watch cap.
It went back with the jacket!
£10 on eBay! You were done, £3.99 from Camping and General Canvey Island:)

Edward

Bartender
I don't know if you handled modern ones or vintage ones, but the current ones are around 1.5mm thick, which to me is pretty regular/decent thickness!
The Roadstar felt very thin and light, and my first thought unboxing it was "how can it be worth that much?" i sent it back the same day.
Funny thing is i wasn't even buying this jacket as a potential riding jacket, but even as an everyday jacket i found it disappointing.

All original, vintage stuff from their heyday. Good to hear they've improved! :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
£10 on eBay! You were done, £3.99 from Camping and General Canvey Island:)

I doubt you can find a real 100% wool watch cap for £3.99!

Actually after double checking, they were "Ultra Force US Navy watch cap", 100% wool, £8.99 each, got a black one and a navy one, they honestly looked as good as the Eastman one and fit better as they are a bit larger.

One thing i have to say about ELC, although i was disappointed by their product, their customer service was top notch!
Garry Eastman himself answers the phone and is a very nice guy, and Rob from the customer service was extremely helpful and answered all my questions very fast...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I doubt you can find a real 100% wool watch cap for £3.99!

Actually after double checking, they were "Ultra Force US Navy watch cap", 100% wool, £8.99 each, got a black one and a navy one, they honestly looked as good as the Eastman one and fit better as they are a bit larger.

One thing i have to say about ELC, although i was disappointed by their product, their customer service was top notch!
Garry Eastman himself answers the phone and is a very nice guy, and Rob from the customer service was extremely helpful and answered all my questions very fast...

Yes I'll agree on that, they are a poly/wool mix, but look the same on your head and they still keep your head warm in these winter mornings and if I loose one on the train I would not be as upset as if I had paid a penny short of £50.
And as to Gary's customer service :thumb:+1

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Someone posted the Contentin link on the "Fisherman's Sweater" thread a few days ago, which has very cool Breton watch caps in 100% wool for about $14.00. I'm about to order one of the striped ones.

bn1966

I've got the wool mechanics cap from ELC which fits fine, did cost a pretty penny though. Not much use in our current weather...planning to team it up with a D1 in a few weeks time. :)

ProteinNerd

Californian looks nice, but I do not like the seam that runs down the middle of the back of the jacket. For that price I think they could use one piece of HH instead of two smaller ones stitched together!

I completely agree, multiple panels on the back are fine if its part of the styling/ decoration. This just looks like a cheaper option....for the price they are charging for these jackets thats just plain highway robbery/greed imo.

Edward

Bartender
Be interesting to know if it's based on a specific original. Aero used to special in one-piece backs, though a lot of Ken's newer designs have several pieces (I think beginning with the Pioneer). The seam join on those seems to be done somewhat differently, though, in a way that looks nicer to my eye. I'm not offended at all by this one, though I don't imagine I'd be quite into that price band irrespective of how many panels the back had. ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the multi-panel thing comes from Aero focusing on the 20s and 30s, austerity measures forcing makers to get creative on how to make their leather supplies go as far as possible. As far as I know, any new designs coming out this year will be pre-war - ELC and BK can slug it out with each other for the post-war biker niche, which is pretty congested as it is.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I completely agree, multiple panels on the back are fine if its part of the styling/ decoration. This just looks like a cheaper option....for the price they are charging for these jackets thats just plain highway robbery/greed imo.

It's clearly a period styling option. The other jackets are one piece.

ProteinNerd

It's clearly a period styling option. The other jackets are one piece.

Hmmm, I don't think its "clearly" period styling, it may be, it may not.

I quite like the look of the jacket but for AU$1500 I personally wouldn't want a jacket with a 2 piece back that is styled on a "period correct" mall jacket lol

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, I don't think its "clearly" period styling, it may be, it may not.

I quite like the look of the jacket but for AU$1500 I personally wouldn't want a jacket with a 2 piece back that is styled on a "period correct" mall jacket lol

This one is for you 8 panel back. http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1467

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1513

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1470

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1472

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

Thanks but I think you missed the part initially where I said "multiple panels on the back are fine if its part of the styling/ decoration", which clearly the Aeros you linked too are.

The eastman to me looks like a generic half belt with a cheaper looking 2 panel back. What makes it look cheap to me is the fact the "offending" seem where the two panels join is a single row of stitching.

Compare that to the 3 Aeros you linked, guess what , they all have double rows of stitching.....it just looks like a cheap / cost cutting option to me...it may not be but thats what it looks like to me.

Not sure why you are so offended by the criticism...did you fork out for one?

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
Thanks but I think you missed the part initially where I said "multiple panels on the back are fine if its part of the styling/ decoration", which clearly the Aeros you linked too are.

The eastman to me looks like a generic half belt with a cheaper looking 2 panel back. What makes it look cheap to me is the fact the "offending" seem where the two panels join is a single row of stitching.

Compare that to the 3 Aeros you linked, guess what , they all have double rows of stitching.....it just looks like a cheap / cost cutting option to me...it may not be but thats what it looks like to me.

Not sure why you are so offended by the criticism...did you fork out for one?

I'm on Prot-Nerd's side on this one. I don't think that big seam in the middle of the back is "period correct" or "styling/decor", it's just another way to save a few bucks. Anyone who is going to spend that kind of cash will more than likely go for an Aero/Goodwear/Alexander, unless they just don't want to have the waiting period you have with these makers. Nice jacket though, just get rid of the big seam in the middle of the back!

yakima

One of the Regulars
I wonder if Eastman allow you to "customise" aspects of their jackets - i.e. the back, in the way that say, Aero do?

No wait...... That would make them even MORE expensive!:eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80