Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay's Most Paranoid Vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
So I mentioned in another thread how I bought a Scala fedora that turned out to be too small for me-- it says XL but measures as a large (about 7 1/4, maybe a hair bigger). I sent the seller this e-mail last night about his seven day return policy:
========================================
Dear Sir,

My hat arrived earlier today, and I must thank you for the fast shipping. Unfortunately, it appears as though Scala is not terribly accurate in their sizing. By my measurement, the hat should fit someone with a 7 1/4 size head (normally a "Large"); as I wear a 7 1/2, I can't really wear the hat. I have re-packaged it and will be shipping it back either tomorrow or Wednesday (I'm in college most of the day Tuesday and may or may not be able to get to a post office before close). I understand that shipping is non refundable.

I'm very sorry for this, and do thank you for your courtesy and speed. I just wish Scala were more accurate in their measurements and advertisement.

===============================================

To my surprise, I got the following back this morning:

YES BUT WE ONLY TAKE RETURNS IF THE ITEM IS IN THE CONDITION YOU RECIEVED IT IN , NO SWEAT AT ALL IN THE BAND , WE DO UVLIGHT CHECK FOR ANY STAINS , AND WE HAVE HAD PEOPLE TRY TO RETURN STAINED HATS . WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO SEE THE SMALLEST STAINS , BUT IF THE ITEM IS AS RECIEVED AND RESELLABLE CONDITION AS PERFECTLY NEW AND UNWORN , THEN YES WE DO ACCEPPT RETURNS , OF COURSE WE ARE NOT REQUIRED TO REFUND FOR ITEMS THAT ARE RUINED WHEN THEY ARE RETURNED AND NOT RESELLABLE , SO PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WE CAN ONLY RESELL A PERFECT HAT , SO ANYTHUING LESS WOULDNT BE RIGHT , SO PLEASE ONLY RETURNS IN RESELLABLE CONDITION , THAT MEANS PERFECT AND NO STAINS . SORRY I HAVE TO BE SO CLEAR , BUT PEOPLE HAVE RETURNED STAINED HATS , AND I CANT AFFORD THOSE LOSSES , SO WE CHECKED AND ARE ONLY REQUIRED TO ACCEPT RETURNS IN THE CONDITION THE BUYER RECIEVED THEM IN . NO RUINING HATS THEN RETURNING THEM . AND CONROE TEXAS HAS DONE THIS TO ME BEFORE , SO IM REALLY SUSPICIOUS OF THIS RETURN . AND I WILL DO A THOUROUGH CHECK WITH A LIGHT THAT CAN SEE ANY STAIN . ONCE AGAIN SORRY IF IM SEEMING OVERPROTECTIVE OF MY STORE , BUT WITH ONLINE RETURNS , YOU HAVE TO BE VERY PROTECTIVE , OR PEOPLE TAKE ADVANTAGE . WHICH I CANT AFFORD

=====================================================

The hat arrived with the brim bent up, which wouldn't be a problem if I were keeping it-- steam it out and such-- but now the bugger's got someone to accuse me of in terms of it not being "perfect." What's a buyer to do?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It doesn't sound to me that you have a problem. Just return the hat as you received it and await your refund. :)

MisterGrey

Practically Family
This is the part that got me--

==============
AND CONROE TEXAS HAS DONE THIS TO ME BEFORE , SO IM REALLY SUSPICIOUS OF THIS RETURN .
==============

We're not New York City, but we've got a population of about 37,000. Because I live in the same city as someone with whom he's had issue, I become a suspect?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not the seller but don't see any cause for alarm. It sounds to me that the seller has been burned before and is a little raw. As I read the situation, I don't think you have a problem. :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
MisterGrey said:
==============
AND CONROE TEXAS HAS DONE THIS TO ME BEFORE , SO IM REALLY SUSPICIOUS OF THIS RETURN .
==============

Oh no, Conroe Texas is out to get him. (Not the people, but the actual city itself).

Mr E Train

One Too Many
zetwal said:
I'm not the seller but don't see any cause for alarm. It sounds to me that the seller has been burned before and is a little raw. As I read the situation, I don't think you have a problem. :)

I dunno, I think you might have a problem. Sounds to me like even if you send the hat back in the exact same condition you received it, the seller's going to find something wrong with it.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
MisterGrey said:
So I mentioned in another thread how I bought a Scala fedora that turned out to be too small for me-- it says XL but measures as a large (about 7 1/4, maybe a hair bigger). I sent the seller this e-mail last night about his seven day return policy:
========================================
Dear Sir,

My hat arrived earlier today, and I must thank you for the fast shipping. Unfortunately, it appears as though Scala is not terribly accurate in their sizing. By my measurement, the hat should fit someone with a 7 1/4 size head (normally a "Large"); as I wear a 7 1/2, I can't really wear the hat. I have re-packaged it and will be shipping it back either tomorrow or Wednesday (I'm in college most of the day Tuesday and may or may not be able to get to a post office before close). I understand that shipping is non refundable.

I'm very sorry for this, and do thank you for your courtesy and speed. I just wish Scala were more accurate in their measurements and advertisement.

===============================================

To my surprise, I got the following back this morning:

YES BUT WE ONLY TAKE RETURNS IF THE ITEM IS IN THE CONDITION YOU RECIEVED IT IN , NO SWEAT AT ALL IN THE BAND , WE DO UVLIGHT CHECK FOR ANY STAINS , AND WE HAVE HAD PEOPLE TRY TO RETURN STAINED HATS . WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO SEE THE SMALLEST STAINS , BUT IF THE ITEM IS AS RECIEVED AND RESELLABLE CONDITION AS PERFECTLY NEW AND UNWORN , THEN YES WE DO ACCEPPT RETURNS , OF COURSE WE ARE NOT REQUIRED TO REFUND FOR ITEMS THAT ARE RUINED WHEN THEY ARE RETURNED AND NOT RESELLABLE , SO PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WE CAN ONLY RESELL A PERFECT HAT , SO ANYTHUING LESS WOULDNT BE RIGHT , SO PLEASE ONLY RETURNS IN RESELLABLE CONDITION , THAT MEANS PERFECT AND NO STAINS . SORRY I HAVE TO BE SO CLEAR , BUT PEOPLE HAVE RETURNED STAINED HATS , AND I CANT AFFORD THOSE LOSSES , SO WE CHECKED AND ARE ONLY REQUIRED TO ACCEPT RETURNS IN THE CONDITION THE BUYER RECIEVED THEM IN . NO RUINING HATS THEN RETURNING THEM . AND CONROE TEXAS HAS DONE THIS TO ME BEFORE , SO IM REALLY SUSPICIOUS OF THIS RETURN . AND I WILL DO A THOUROUGH CHECK WITH A LIGHT THAT CAN SEE ANY STAIN . ONCE AGAIN SORRY IF IM SEEMING OVERPROTECTIVE OF MY STORE , BUT WITH ONLINE RETURNS , YOU HAVE TO BE VERY PROTECTIVE , OR PEOPLE TAKE ADVANTAGE . WHICH I CANT AFFORD

=====================================================

The hat arrived with the brim bent up, which wouldn't be a problem if I were keeping it-- steam it out and such-- but now the bugger's got someone to accuse me of in terms of it not being "perfect." What's a buyer to do?

I'm willing to bet thatr egardless of how perfect the hat is when they receive it, they will find something wrong with it and will do whatever they can so they don't have to give you the refund.

Maybe post it on Ebay yourself and sell it? You've got to pay to ship it back to them anyway...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I would photograph the hat before you return it. I would also be ready to file a dispute with eBay the second that the Seller refuses the return.

Here's the bottom line -- you can't tell if a hat's too small without trying it on. If that happens to leave some sort of sweat residue that is only visible in the CSI crime lab under UV light, so be it. ;) It's no different than walking into a department store, trying on a hat, and deciding that it doesn't fit. The condition of the hat has not been changed in any kind of material way, and you are not obligated to purchase it.

Under these conditions, the Seller's refusal would essentially undermine the stated return policy, such that the return policy itself is a misrepresentation. The reason that a Buyer purchases an item to begin with under such a policy is that the Buyer can feel assured that, if something isn't right with the hat, it may be returned for a full refund. That means that the Buyer is entitled to the reasonable expectation that he can try on the hat -- and, if it doesn't fit -- return it.

I think the dispute folks at eBay will be able to see through the UV light gambit...;)

In any event -- good luck with the return...

Cheers,
JtL

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
I dunno, I think you might have a problem. Sounds to me like even if you send the hat back in the exact same condition you received it, the seller's going to find something wrong with it.

Bingo!

This throws up a flag. I'd definitely try if I were you, and hopefully the refund will work out. Keep us posted.

theinterchange

One Too Many
This reminds me of the time I had a reverse experience like this...

My dad had a Snap-On ratchet which was broken, he traded it in with the local Snap-On driver and then decided to sell it instead of using it. He asked me to list it on eBay for him, which I gladly did...

The guy who won said ratchet only had to pay in the $20 range for it.[and anyone who knows about tools knows that was a steal for a BRAND NEW Snap-On] I shipped it out, and a few days later heard from the buyer.

He said that the ratchet was pitted, that the chrome was literally falling off, that I didn't send him the item pictured [it was the ONLY Snap-On tool my dad had at the time], and that I basically was the biggest crook on eBay. I told him to send it back and I'd refund his money, but not the return shipping since I knew the item was in perfect condition.

Days later, it arrived and I fully expected to see a used tool in the box... Nope, it was the same tool I shipped him. I wanted the mail carrier to see what he thought about the tool, he said it looked brand new and couldn't see what the buyer's problem was.

The buyer left me obscene feedback and was livid about having to pay return shipping when I clearly stated returns weren't post paid by me.

I relisted it and sold it for closer to its retail value. :D

Randy

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm wondering if the seller will accept a ruined, stained hat?
I'm just not sure.

And I *never* do business with Conroe, Texas!

What a nut. Maybe you should list the hat here for a couple of
days and see if someone wants it. Could save a lot of grief.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, What He Said!

jimmy the lid said:
I would photograph the hat before you return it. I would also be ready to file a dispute with eBay the second that the Seller refuses the return.

Here's the bottom line -- you can't tell if a hat's too small without trying it on. If that happens to leave some sort of sweat residue that is only visible in the CSI crime lab under UV light, so be it. ;) It's no different than walking into a department store, trying on a hat, and deciding that it doesn't fit. The condition of the hat has not been changed in any kind of material way, and you are not obligated to purchase it.

Under these conditions, the Seller's refusal would essentially undermine the stated return policy, such that the return policy itself is a misrepresentation. The reason that a Buyer purchases an item to begin with under such a policy is that the Buyer can feel assured that, if something isn't right with the hat, it may be returned for a full refund. That means that the Buyer is entitled to the reasonable expectation that he can try on the hat -- and, if it doesn't fit -- return it.

I think the dispute folks at eBay will be able to see through the UV light gambit...;)

In any event -- good luck with the return...

Cheers,
JtL

Don't roll over, is all I can say. It's a matter of principle.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Sounds to me like a seller who has been burned too many times by people buying something, wearing it for whatever they needed it for and then sending it back. Even if they spilled beer all over it they still expect a full refund.

For a big department store it is all part of the cost of doing business. For a small-time operator it is a cost they cannot afford.

If the hat is in re-sellable condition (meaning CLEAN) you'll have no trouble with the refund.

Undertow

This is one reason I've strayed from eBay. I prefer to purchase things in person - and if it must be online, I like to deal with a company as opposed to a person.

Ebay is a strange place that can have plenty of great finds, but also some real stinkers. Good luck and do let us know the outcome.

casechopper

I had this same kind of experience. I purchased a pair of allen edmonds park aves in brown but didn't realize that they were aa width (I thought they ere EEE). So I listed them on ebay and they were purchased by a bidder with 1000's of good feedback.

He contacted me right after I left him good feedback to tell me that the shoes weren't brown, that they were cordovan and had been spray painted brown. I emailed him back to let him know that what he got was exactly like the photo multiple large photos I had included in the auction (he never disputed this) and that I knew for a fact that there was no spray paint on the shoes because I had handled them myself. Also I had listed with a return policy of no returns because they were only selling for $19 shipped.

He filed dispute with paypal and they forced me to take them back, refund him the item price + shipping. The shoes arrived back and looked exactly like when I'd sent them. I listed them again and the next purchaser left good feedback saying they were great.

So, I was out shipping one way, he had to pay shipping back to me and all for a pair of perfectly fine used shoes that I sold for $0.99 with $18 shipping. More was spent on shipping to him and back than the shoes were worth.

Some people are just odd.

Sam

theinterchange said:
This reminds me of the time I had a reverse experience like this...

My dad had a Snap-On ratchet which was broken, he traded it in with the local Snap-On driver and then decided to sell it instead of using it. He asked me to list it on eBay for him, which I gladly did...

The guy who won said ratchet only had to pay in the $20 range for it.[and anyone who knows about tools knows that was a steal for a BRAND NEW Snap-On] I shipped it out, and a few days later heard from the buyer.

He said that the ratchet was pitted, that the chrome was literally falling off, that I didn't send him the item pictured [it was the ONLY Snap-On tool my dad had at the time], and that I basically was the biggest crook on eBay. I told him to send it back and I'd refund his money, but not the return shipping since I knew the item was in perfect condition.

Days later, it arrived and I fully expected to see a used tool in the box... Nope, it was the same tool I shipped him. I wanted the mail carrier to see what he thought about the tool, he said it looked brand new and couldn't see what the buyer's problem was.

The buyer left me obscene feedback and was livid about having to pay return shipping when I clearly stated returns weren't post paid by me.

I relisted it and sold it for closer to its retail value. :D

Randy

Undertow said:
This is one reason I've strayed from eBay. I prefer to purchase things in person - and if it must be online, I like to deal with a company as opposed to a person.

Ebay is a strange place that can have plenty of great finds, but also some real stinkers. Good luck and do let us know the outcome.

I am not sure I would take the risk on high ticket items. I have had my share of stinker hats but I have also had many unexpected gems. Most of my bids are under $100.00.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Since everyone's throwing in their two cents-I'd copy all correspondence, take a photo of the hat (with the brim turned up, as you received it), and waste no time calling eBay; I wouldn't start with anything else-don't return it
until you talk to someone with some clout at eBay, and it can and has been done- 1-800-701-3229; these days, the buyer's in the drivers' seat, and I think you have more than enough claim to a complete refund, as well as your choice of feedback, if you so choose.
Strange days, indeed.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats