Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ellery Queen - the TV series

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Sorry if has already been discussed but how many people's interest in the 1930's stem from the 1970's TV series Ellery Queen, starring Jim Hutton?

I watched it as a child and I was able to recently get copies of the show from a friend on DVD. It still holds-up as a witty, fair play, mystery and the look is priceless!

Purist argue that it isnt Queen of the books (except maybe ones from the Hollywood years) but I think it worked nevertheless. David Wayne was perfect casting as Inspector Queen.

I "blame" this series for peaking my interest in The Golden Age.

They should release it on DVD! Or we should start a petition to have it released!

BRS

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was a huge fan of this show when it first came out -- and watched it again when it re-ran on A&E in the '90s. The attention to period detail was really noticeable -- a very well-produced show all around.

It *wasn't* the Ellery Queen of the books, though -- when the TV series first began, I was in the process of reading all the early EQ novels, and it was very obvious they'd chosen to go with a modified version of the character for the show -- the original Ellery was something of an effete intellectual snob, with pince-nez glasses, a walking stick, and a rare first edition tucked into his coat pocket. *Physically*, though, Jim Hutton was absolutely perfect for the role, to the point where I still see him when I re-read the books.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
George Nader as Ellery Queen

I don't imagine you would have ever had a chance to see this, but there was a series of Ellery Queen around 1958 - 59 with George Nader. I always thought it was live, but IMDB says taped. I remember him flubbing a line spectaculary, which makes me think it might have been live.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
I was a huge fan of this show when it first came out -- and watched it again when it re-ran on A&E in the '90s. The attention to period detail was really noticeable -- a very well-produced show all around.

It *wasn't* the Ellery Queen of the books, though -- when the TV series first began, I was in the process of reading all the early EQ novels, and it was very obvious they'd chosen to go with a modified version of the character for the show -- the original Ellery was something of an effete intellectual snob, with pince-nez glasses, a walking stick, and a rare first edition tucked into his coat pocket. *Physically*, though, Jim Hutton was absolutely perfect for the role, to the point where I still see him when I re-read the books.

I totally agree. Not the EQ of the books but I enjoyed the series.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
It would have been impossible to capture the flavor of the novels since they shifted in tone over the 40 some odd years the books were written. Ellery did start out like a pompous Philo Vance type but ended up as more human and conflicted.

The Hutton series retained the "fair" play and "Reader's Challenger" from the early novels. Overall, it was closer in tone to the late 1930's Hollywood years Queen novels: The Devil to Pay - 1938, The Four of Hearts - 1938, The Dragon's Teeth - 1939. Lightweight but fun - like the series - but not the classics of mystery literature like many of EQ's other works.

But that is the richness of Queen - something for everyone.

I would love it if it ever came out on DVD!!!!!!

BRS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner