Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever wonder how much your vintage "stuff" cost?

Tiller

Practically Family
I tried searching to see if there was a thread on this yet, but I haven't seen it. My apologizes if there already is.

Ever wonder how much your vintage items cost "back then" compared to today? I know I did. Today I received my "new" homburg in the mail. Looking under the sweat band I found out that my hat was made on October 10, 1954, and cost $12.50. So I found a great place to find out how much it actually cost somebody back then in a way we would understand.

Inflation Calculator

"$12.50 in 1954 had about the same buying power as $97.69 in 2009.

Annual inflation over this period was about 3.81%."

Since I paid roughly $72.00 ($67 dollar bid, $4.95 shipping) for this vintage Stetson St. Regis Homburg, I feel pretty good about my purchase :).

Share your deals with the rest of us :).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The price tag on the inside door of my 1945 Kelvinator refrigerator says $187.50, OPA Ceiling Price, which translates to $2138.98 in today's money. I paid $50 for it in 1988, which is $82.62 today. So all things considered, I think I got a real bargain!

Tiller

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
The price tag on the inside door of my 1945 Kelvinator refrigerator says $187.50, OPA Ceiling Price, which translates to $2138.98 in today's money. I paid $50 for it in 1988, which is $82.62 today. So all things considered, I think I got a real bargain!
:eusa_clap Indeed you did! Well done Lizzie :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn