Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Bags

Nashoba

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
My everyday is a repro WW2 WAC shoulder bag --

bag2.jpg

Brown pigskin, OD cotton lining, detatchable strap, no obtrusive designer logo. It's big enough to hold my essentials -- but small enough to force me to keep it from becoming a portable wastebasket....

Lizzie I love that purse, wherever did you get it???? I would love to find a similar one...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I carry a bag that's larger than a traditional purse and I've been on the hunt for a new one all year. I think I'm going to ask Santa to bring me this model--it is big enough for a couple books, my wallet and assorted makeup with a few pockets so everything doesn't sink to the bottom (as it does in the bag I'm using now). I like it alot, especially the "schoolbag" styling, but I wish it looked a little more vintage (surprise!)--larger hardware, some embossing or the like on the leather--just a little something extra. I can't decide between oxblood and natural either. What do you ladies think?

31735_lrg.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
That is a nice bag! My current ones are a vintage satchel for going to my law classes (very sturdy for all the books), a 50s/60s black flight bag for handbag duty (shoulder strap, hinged top opening, and large enough for all daily necessities), a 40s Boots vinyl shopper plus various lifelong supermarket carriers for groceries, and my 60s vintage briefcase for meetings.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I carry a very period bandanna tied around the end of a stick.

It was the most vintage purse in my budget!

Caledonia

Practically Family
And probably the most practical and roomy of them all! I do trust that the stick was also vintage? A well aged yew for example, or my favourite, blackthorn. And was it hollowed to provide yet more storage space? :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
It certainly is vintage; my grandpappy left it to me. I would never carry a modern stick - they just don't make them like they used to!lol

Viola

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I suppose I will now confess that the majority of my bags and purses come from Target.

I have target bags in classic styles that have lasted me 5 years or more.

I see very little reason to pay more for similar bags due to ititials or a name on them. Its about how the bag works in terms of organizing me.

Me too, I have an entire cabinent of inexpensive purses that I switch around to match my shoes, belt, mood etc.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
Sadly, my everyday bag is a Fisher-Price diaper bag! :D
(Hopefully we'll be done with it soon!)

When my daughter was old enough all I had to carry was a spare diaper and a mini package of wipes in my "little" purse I was on cloud 9.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
90% of the time I'm seen with my black leather purse, the other 10% I've got my small pink and tan one (cloth). I've been looking high and low for a nice brown-tan purse to match with some outfits. Everywhere I go there's always something wrong with them!:mad: It's like with clothes shopping for me, when I've got money burning in my wallet to spend, I can't find a dang thing out there, but when all I can do is window shop, there's tons of outfits I'd love to have!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
42092-brown.jpg

This is my everyday purse, except the accent color is a nice muted green. It's truly gigantic, but I needed something huge to stuff all of my readers, notebooks and textbooks into during the school day. It's more like a duffel bag than a purse!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
My everyday is a black leather clasped clutch from the 50s that I found in a vintage/alt shop downtown for $7... alas, the spring has broken, but I still love it so and just hold or wedge it closed... I really should look for a new one.

My backpack is a whole other story.... a pink Nike over the shoulder backpack lol Well, my books and computer don't exactly fit in the clutch! lol Thats the one thing that really throws off my vintage look.... dagnabbit...

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
My current summer purse:

viola.jpg

My favorite winter purse (just cleaned and put away last weekend):

saranac.jpg

For work, I use one of those terrible ballistic nylon suitcase-like trolley bags because my shoulders were hurting from the sling-type case I tried to use. But I would love to find something more stylish.

Also, I have a natural/black LL Bean bag for carrying larger items, a black plastic tote for the pool/beach and a couple smaller tote-type purses for when I need to downsize. And a few I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

P.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
That was exactly my reaction when I saw the second purse in the sale racks of Nordstrom a few years back. It is a Michael Kors Saranac purse and if I never buy another purse other than this one, I will be fine because the picture I have doesn't do it justice and just because it makes me happy. My one and only "Big Deal" purse splurge.

The spring/summer purse is by Brighton and called Viola. I bought it from zappos earlier this year to match my easter outfit.

Also bought a cute coin purse by hayden-harnett on amazon.com that sorta matches the interior and reinforces my belief in fate:

haydenharnettcapricoinpursefront.jpg
haydenharnettcapricoinpursetop.jpg

Due to lack of both storage space & finances, etc., I try to limit myself to 2 purse purchases a year. This was my spring/summer, will have to see what fall/winter bring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner