Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exploring 1938 San Francisco through aerial photography in Google Earth

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
David Rumsey said:
In August of 1938, a pioneer of aerial photography, Harrison Ryker, worked with pilots out of Oakland Airport to create a series of high resolution images of San Francisco.
A few years earlier - deep in the depression when the military didn't even have the budget for maneuvers - they'd probably have approached the Army Air Corps and engaged some bombers from Hamilton Field. Maybe even brought out George Goddard, the AAC's ace photographic officer.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A few years earlier - deep in the depression when the military didn't even have the budget for maneuvers - they'd probably have approached the Army Air Corps and engaged some bombers from Hamilton Field. Maybe even brought out George Goddard, the AAC's ace photographic officer.

No kidding? Thanks for that, Fletch! I wondered about the logistics of this.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No inside knowledge here, mind you. This was just typical of the public service work the AAC would have done earlier in the '30s. By 1938 I think they were focused on getting ready for the next world war.

This sounds like a civilian project, and more than that, privately funded. Here's an article that says Harrison Ryker "commissioned" private pilots for it.

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
The city has changed considerably since then. You don't see bums on every corner in those. :p
I was there three weeks ago and stayed again at the St. Francis ( I love this place ). One could not leave the building without getting hit, and each day it was the same people. They would get angry and yell if you did not respond, then again in 50 more feet. It is terrible now! We have a meeting there every three years ( 25K people ) and my comments and many others was to not come back, even though we have always loved SF. You can't walk up and down the street!. No more!! John

I was there three weeks ago and stayed again at the St. Francis ( I love this place ). One could not leave the building without getting hit, and each day it was the same people. They would get angry and yell if you did not respond, then again in 50 more feet. It is terrible now! We have a meeting there every three years ( 25K people ) and my comments and many others was to not come back, even though we have always loved SF. You can't walk up and down the street!. No more!! John

Yes, the Haight Ashbury crowd have ruined San Francisco for the citizens and the tourists. It can get so dirty on some of the streets that they roll out this huge machine that literally steam cleans the street and sidewalks---costing about $800,000 a run too. :eusa_doh:
The St. Francis is a nice place but it is indeed a magnet for bums that know just where to make a buck. Some of those guys make a fortune standing out there buming all day. There was a documentary a few years ago if I remember correctly. It was astonishing how much money they could make an hour. :eusa_doh:
Geez, a lot has changed since 1938. Even during the Depression people had shame and pride enough to keep from clogging the streets begging. [huh]

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
This has got to be the most repulsive thing to emerge in recent times.
http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2012/10/30/naked-guys-and-gals-stage-nude-in-at-city-hall/
nudein.jpg
nudein2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda