Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Face Shape?

ShortClara

One Too Many
Hey ya'll. I thought I'd ask this since there are so many hairdressers on the board. I feel so dumb asking... but I can't figure out what my face shape is! So for hair cuts, when you can look at those handy guides, I have no idea what will look good on me!

Ideally, I'd love hair the style of Johanna's (the reigning Queen of Hair LOL) :):) but the last shorter haircut I got was a disaster and unattractive. Since then, I'm really afraid to lose any length.

So can you look at me and tell me? Sorry if this is the stupidest discussion ever! Here's a couple of shots :)

DSC03916_R.jpg

DSC05109.jpg

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
You are divine in that red dress! I love it.

There are lots of suggestions on how to figure out your shape, from outlining your face shape on a mirror with lipstick to draping it with a towel and asking others to help you guess the shape. But, there is actually a scientific way to determine your face shape once and for all.
To find out the shape of your face, measure it with a tape measure or ruler. You will take the following measurements.

1. Measure your face across the top of your cheekbones. Write down the measurement on a piece of paper.
2. Measure across your jaw line from the widest point to the widest point. Write down the measurement.
3. Measure across your forehead at the widest point. Generally the widest point will be somewhere about halfway between your eyebrows and your hairline. Write down the measurement.
4. Measure from the tip of your hairline to the bottom of your chin.

Oval Face - Length equal to one and a half times width.
Round Face - Your face is as wide as it is long. This may vary a little but generally the measurement is close.
Oblong - Longer than it is wide.
Heart - Narrow at jaw line, wide at cheekbones/and or forehead.
Square - your face is about as wide as it is long.
Diamond - Widest at cheekbones, narrow forehead and jaw line of approximately equal widths.

That's from this link - http://www.visual-makeover.com/face.htm

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
According to the above definitions, you have an oval face. I traced the outline on a piece of paper (yes, it is a slow day here) and that is what I came up with. I think your features make your face look wider than it is; maybe that's why you're having a hard time.

In considering a new hairstyle, you have to look at your face shape, neck length and kind of hair you have. As a general statement, a good hairstyle might also help minimize features that aren't attractive (weak chin, high forehead, etc.).

I know I've suggested it before, but I'll do it again: I really found thehairstyler.com to be helpful.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Thanks guys! Yes, the bangs help with the outrageous forehead...but I don't know what hair would fix the chin LOL maybe a beard? but it's not that bad :)

I might spring for the $14.95 hairstyle website - thanks Paisley!

ShortClara

One Too Many
LOL it's so funny you picked two examples that I thought were right on! lol

I've recently come to terms with my chin and profile though and now I like them.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Before reading other's replies I would say you have the perfect oval shape, which means you can pretty much wear any style. Now, whether or not YOU think any style looks good on you is another story, lol!

If anything you are *somewhat* perhaps heart shaped, but not much. All in all, the coveted vintage face shape! ;)

I would suggest a collar bone length layered page boy cut.. which is actually what I'm thinking about.

Sort of like Johanna's but a longer version. And this was NOT a stupid questions. All the stylist books teach this, and the vintage books REALLY drill it into you.
Nikki

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
And another method of 'seeing' what shape your face is....

is to stand in front of a mirror (hopefully not right after you cleaned it!) and with your hair pulled back...trace the edges of your face on the mirror using a lip or eye liner...

then when you move...the shape is there and you can see it easier then you can when your familiar features are there.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I just read the replies and measured. I don't fit into any of those categories, ha! I've always thought I was more square tho.
Nikki

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My first instinct was to go with heart shaped but measurements don't lie--looks like you're oval. I'd look at hairstyles for both face shapes if I were you though. Do you, by any chance have a widow's peak?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Hmm, I just measured too and I think I have a hear or diamond shaped face? However, my head/face/features are kind of tiny (I look really silly when my hair is sopping wet!), so I can't quite figure out which one is more true.

carter

I'll Lock Up
ShortClara said:
Hey ya'll. I thought I'd ask this since there are so many hairdressers on the board. I feel so dumb asking... but I can't figure out what my face shape is! So for hair cuts, when you can look at those handy guides, I have no idea what will look good on me!

Ideally, I'd love hair the style of Johanna's (the reigning Queen of Hair LOL) :):) but the last shorter haircut I got was a disaster and unattractive. Since then, I'm really afraid to lose any length.

So can you look at me and tell me? Sorry if this is the stupidest discussion ever! Here's a couple of shots :)

DSC03916_R.jpg

DSC05109.jpg

Here's an unbiased male viewpoint.
(No, I did not imply that any of the Ladies is biased in any way.)

I think you should let your bangs grow out and go for a Veronica Lake look. SUPER! :)

However, this is just a male point of view. We all know what that's worth. :D

ShortClara

One Too Many
Can I just say - I LOVE this board! And not just because a lovely fella just said I could be like Veronica Lake ;)

OVAL! I'm an oval. And yes, I read that I can wear any shape, but it's not true!! The horrid man in West Hollywood who butchered my hair two years ago can go rot in *ahem* that's not ladylike.

Ohairas, I think you're right, because I'm not ready to commit to her length, I may have the same idea done, but longer. I think a slight U towards the front will give me the curls I want, too.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I'm glad someone (thanks ShortClara) started this thread. My face seems to be either round or square...it is very confusing!

I was just looking at a magazine (I cannot remember which one now) that was comparing face shapes, everyone looked the same to me...head/face shaped [huh]

Round and square seemed the same, heart shaped just meant they had a pronounced chin, and oval was just a longer version of round or square. I'm glad there is a more scientific way of figuring it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo