Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falcon Park Hattery

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Looks great! Congrats, man. Awhile ago you were considering selling one of your FPs, weren't you? Don't! I mean, unless you really have to.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Yea Bowler I did sell it. I just did not like the way it sat on my head and the wine ribbon looked awesome but I did not like the way it looked on me. Also needed the cash :(

m0nk

One Too Many
I wanted to d that but that was a change I had to deal with because he said he could not Match the felt on the binding
I think it turned out better this way, I always liked the Whippet style but not the ribbon/felt matching. Parker did a great job on this one, and I'm a tad jealous. :eusa_clap

A stunner from the outside!! But does the sweat band straighten out with wear? I've never seen that much sweatband "wonking" on a new hat (for lack of a better word). Do all his hats start out like that, then conform with time?

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Parker's sewing machine locked up last week while finishing my hat. He was able to get it serviced quickly, though, so I guess it will ship out on Monday.

I'm not even stressed about it, for some reason. I guess I'm more comfortable knowing that the hat is complete and getting ready to ship. At this point I receive it Friday and still be happy!

I asked him to surprise me with the bow. Told him that I respected his creative talents and encouraged him to let it show. So, I'm most anxious to see the final bow.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hi, what about the durability of the rabbit-felt hats of FalconPark? Are they a little bit resistant against rain, or do they taper fast? I have got bad experiences with Christy's...

Hi, what about the durability of the rabbit-felt hats of FalconPark? Are they a little bit resistant against rain, or do they taper fast? I have got bad experiences with Christy's...

Parker sources his felt bodies from 2 different suppliers based on what weight you prefer.
You need to be more specific about which rabbit felt body used.

m0nk

One Too Many
Regardless of which hatter you would go with, you will certainly have better experience than with Christy's hats. The latter are notorious for shrinkage, possibly due to the minimal processing done while they're being blocked. I've considered getting a Christy's several times, but knowing that I wouldn't be able to wear it in the rain without trouble.

At any rate, there are many Falcon Park owners here (and I'll be joining them soon) who could give a better review of Parker's hats, but I think whether you go with the standard rabbit or the vintage weight rabbit blend, you will see a huge world of difference over Christy's hats. Personally, I'm going to be putting in an order for either vintage weight rabbit blend or beaver felt, just because I like the thinner, lighter, stronger felts and the one going for will be my daily hat. If you're worried about long term durability, beaver felt will be a bit better than standard rabbit, which is why it costs more. And Parker's prices are as good as you'll see for a custom-made beaver felt hat.

HTH
-alex

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
To be more specific: I would choose the Standard Weight (Domestic) Felt (rabbit) because of it's price. I don't want to treat the hat like I would treat an Akubra, but .... well Christy's shrinks in with one raindrop.

I'm thinking of sending FPH my Christy's to reblock it, but I'm not sure if it's worth..

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I love my staple felt from Parker-- one of my favorite hats. I don't treat it like a beater, and probably wouldn't wear it in a downpour, but am not afraid to give it a little wear.

Any updates from you folks waiting for the sewing machine to get repaired?

m0nk

One Too Many
To be more specific: I would choose the Standard Weight (Domestic) Felt (rabbit) because of it's price. I don't want to treat the hat like I would treat an Akubra, but .... well Christy's shrinks in with one raindrop.

I'm thinking of sending FPH my Christy's to reblock it, but I'm not sure if it's worth..
Give Parker a call and talk with him about your options, he's a great guy to talk to and is very knowledgeable. I'm sure if he thinks there would be an issue with reblocking your Christy's, he would fill you in before you go forward with sending it along. He'll also be able to give you a great rundown of the differences between his hats and machine made ones such as the Christy's.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I love my staple felt from Parker-- one of my favorite hats. I don't treat it like a beater, and probably wouldn't wear it in a downpour, but am not afraid to give it a little wear.

Any updates from you folks waiting for the sewing machine to get repaired?

The sewing machine was repaired pretty quickly. I might be seeing a package this week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass