Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falcon Park Hattery

Twincam1450

New in Town
I just got mine this week and it has a little of that "puckering". It fits great and that doesn't bother me.

86ACE786-AD7B-4D11-815F-75AC2CBF2E63-714-00000043CCC79DB6.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Mr. Finch

Is that Undyed Natural? I like the slight heathering on that hat.

Later

Mike, I'm a little embarrased to admit this, but I can't remember which color I finally decided on. I do remember that undyed natural was one of my final two choices. "Sand" something was the other. But I'm 99% sure that you're right. I believe I ordered undyed natural. As I recall, not every color was available in beaver. Thankfully, the two I liked best were.

AF

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That is beautiful, Atticus! Congratulations!

HT, both of my FPs had slightly rippled sweatbands at first, but none were cracked or anything less than supple. The ripples eventually went away. The decorative little red bow on the back of the sweatband did fall off one of mine.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Those Ripples are almost growing Nipples.

I have a FP it has the ripples also but no nipples...Never wore it the ribbon fell off during shipping...

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Does anybody else have hat band problems with their FP???? Check these pics out. This hat is practically brand new but it looks like a "bacon" band. Wavy all around, cracking and the ribbon on the back just fell off one day.
c8072d71680d75b5e66d318811800ad7.jpg
f1c2c29758866ee2125a36c177fcccb2.jpg
b552da73155d37aeaf4a3dc6cf0881d2.jpg
05e07a3cacccb4727b63dc303b2aba97.jpg

I have replaced three of my own sweatbands and I can tell you that the wavy effect takes place when the sweat is larger in circumference than the crown size, i.e., 7 1/4 size sweat for 7 1/8 size hat. It took me a couple of attempts before I got it right. I learned to carefully wrap the sweatband around the 7 1/4 size block which I use for my hats renovations, and marking it with a pencil before I cut. It has worked well for me. Then the stitching has to be very precise around the crown opening. It takes me a couple of hours but it is better than all the cost and the long wait of shipping it off to the pros. I'm satisfied but wouldn't want to do it for a living.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have replaced three of my own sweatbands and I can tell you that the wavy effect takes place when the sweat is larger in circumference than the crown size, i.e., 7 1/4 size sweat for 7 1/8 size hat. It took me a couple of attempts before I got it right. I learned to carefully wrap the sweatband around the 7 1/4 size block which I use for my hats renovations, and marking it with a pencil before I cut. It has worked well for me. Then the stitching has to be very precise around the crown opening. It takes me a couple of hours but it is better than all the cost and the long wait of shipping it off to the pros. I'm satisfied but wouldn't want to do it for a living.
Frustrating because it should be done right in the first place ya know?

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Frustrating because it should be done right in the first place ya know?

My solution, after having seen and felt many, many hats--I own more than 130-- is that you are a lot better off buying a vintage fedora, at a fraction of the price of any of the custom hats that are discussed on this lounge. This conclusion is reached after having owned, felt and closely scrutinized Optimo, VS, The Custom Hatter-Gary White, but not Falcon Park or Buckaroo Hatters or many others. But I have had occasion to have two vintage hats totally refurbished, one by North Valley Hat Company (Rodney Allison) and one by Shorteys--both Stetsons 7xCB. Rodney Allison does incredibly fine work and from now on he will get any work involving cleaning and ribbon and sweatband replacement on top quality vintage hats I acquire. His felt pouncing, ribbon and sweatband work is SUPERIOR and on a par with the highest quality vintage Stetsons and Borsalinos. Shorteys did a more limited refurbishing for me but they also did a fine job, just not as good as Rodney Allison's, BUT less expensive. rodney is not cheap. I am sure his custom hats are super, but I can't afford them.

Still, for my money, you CANNOT beat a vintage Stetson Imperial, Royal DeLuxe, Borsalinos of all kinds, Dobbs, Cavanagh, Knox and many other brands, too many to name--provided we are talking 1930s, 1940s and 1950s only. Plus, I like the instant gratification that comes from buying a hat on EBay and receiving it a few days later. If dirty, I can give it a naphta bath as taught here on this wonderful forum or a steam treatment or a water bath in Woolite, I can even replace a sweatband; with the acquisition of a couple of hat blocks of my size, I can pretty much take care of my own hats stretching, creasing, etc.

Call me crazy, but you guys can have your custom hats, I'll stick to vintage at a fraction of the price. I suspect the reason for the not so recent price inflation of vintage hats is due to the fact that so many others here on this forum may agree with my assessment. Regardless, to each his own and I do appreciate the effort the custom hatters put in--but at those prices I am not able to afford them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo