Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falcon Park Hattery

TomS

One Too Many
7 5/8 are tough as well. Only vintages that compare to 100% beaver customs are 100s, 50s, 25s & possibly my Knox 20. Try & find pristine versions in my size cheaper than a custom. Oh yea, a custom fits my head exactly.

True enough...

job

One Too Many
Teach, Just let Parker know now and at the end of felt weather send it back for a replacement. I'm sure he would replace it for free. I wonder if he has any upgrade sweatbands?

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
I agree with you fedora but 7 3/8 and 7 1/2 are realllyyyy hard to find vintage

I guess that's true but I do have several 7 3/8 Stetsons that I fished out of the Bay. Perhaps you should give the Penman hat Co. a try. There's a thread on this forum which is very positive on John Penman's hats, and is particularly positive about his turnaround time and customer service. The photos I've seen of his hats show some real quality and attention to detail for a little more $$ than Falcon Park and certainly a bit less than Optimo.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Well a turn of events. Someone brought my problem to Parker's attention. He is offering a full refund because I am unhappy. I must say that is a very stand-up thing for him to do. I went from being frustrated to being impressed because he admitted it wasnt his best work and is making it right. So for that I want the whole forum to know that he takes care of his customers.

m0nk

One Too Many
Well a turn of events. Someone brought my problem to Parker's attention. He is offering a full refund because I am unhappy. I must say that is a very stand-up thing for him to do. I went from being frustrated to being impressed because he admitted it wasnt his best work and is making it right. So for that I want the whole forum to know that he takes care of his customers.
Wow, I have to say that's amazing. I always thought he was a good guy to work with, but I can't imagine anyone going this far. Very cool!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is so very righteous

Understood!

What a stand-up guy, a straight shooter, on the bubble/square/level. KUDOS & GOOD ON YA', Mr. Parker! :thumb:

m0nk

One Too Many
So... I have an order in with Parker right now, originally going with the Granite Beaver felt, but I'm considering asking him to change it to the Charcoal Beaver felt after having seen one of his in that color (and since it isn't in production yet). He uses Winchester bodies, so my question is, which would be better, Charcoal or Granite?

Just looking for some opinions... Thanks!

So... I have an order in with Parker right now, originally going with the Granite Beaver felt, but I'm considering asking him to change it to the Charcoal Beaver felt after having seen one of his in that color (and since it isn't in production yet). He uses Winchester bodies, so my question is, which would be better, Charcoal or Granite?

Just looking for some opinions... Thanks!

Having a Granite hat made for a Winchester body, I vote Granite. It is a much more versatile color than Charcoal, IMHO.
Granite seems to have some olive & brown tones so you can wear it with various jackets. Charcoal seems too close to black.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
M0nk, neither of these hats is a Falconpark, but the two of them should show you the difference between the two felts. They are both made of Winchester felt.

The Penman hat on the left is charcoal, and the AB on the right granite. I do really like them both, but agree with Tom that the granite is somewhat more versatile.

Sorry this is a quick cell phone photo but I hope is helpful!

smugshot_955936-L.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Having a Granite hat made for a Winchester body, I vote Granite. It is a much more versatile color than Charcoal, IMHO.
Granite seems to have some olive & brown tones so you can wear it with various jackets. Charcoal seems too close to black.

Hi

I don't like Granite for that reason. I like cars that change color in different light like Candy-Apple Red. Granite and Silverbelly look different in different light. I have enough damn trouble matching my clothes to my hats etc. I have a Charcoal with a blue ribbon from TonyB that I love. It goes with all black, gray , and blue items. Buy another earth town hat sometime, you know you want to.

:D

Mike

m0nk

One Too Many
M0nk, neither of these hats is a Falconpark, but the two of them should show you the difference between the two felts. They are both made of Winchester felt.

The Penman hat on the left is charcoal, and the AB on the right granite. I do really like them both, but agree with Tom that the granite is somewhat more versatile.

Sorry this is a quick cell phone photo but I hope is helpful!

smugshot_955936-L.jpg
I actually like the Charcoal Penman, and had at one time considered getting one, but found Parker's prices a little more in line with my bank account (and Parker's been great to work with). Do you happen to know if John uses the same felt in that the Winchester Beaver felt that Parker uses would be similar?

Thanks! And thanks everyone for the comments, keep 'em coming! So far I have my wife (undecided), best friend (Charcoal), gtdean48 and DJH (Granite), and 1961MJS (Charcoal).

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I'd say the felt starts off the same.

I've not got a Falcon Park, but the hats I have from the different hatters all have a very different feel from each other in the finished product.

I think it is how the hat is blocked and how it is pounced - each hatmaker's product ends up different from the others. Also, from what TonyB has told, me the darker colours are treated at the felter's plant somewhat differently to the lighter ones which results in a different feel to the hat.

Twincam1450

New in Town
I reshaped the crease because to a Diamond. The Teardrop looked very similar to my Akubras and I wanted this to be a step above. Every time I looked at it, it bugged me and now I like it much better.
IMG_1122_zps1f5c9589.jpg

IMG_1123_zps2bfd5978.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo