Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Suggestions Requested

Ccc

New in Town
Thanks to everyone who contributed to developing your own style! I really appreciated reading through the emails.

Now, another question: I am 5'1, somewhat overweight (not a skinny minnie model) and I would really like to begin dressing in the late 1940's, to early 1950's style. Does anyone have suggestions on the best approach to take? What fashion basics would be the best to begin with? What would you absolutely avoid? What type of footwear, especially if I cannot wear high heels?

On the other hand, am I choosing the wrong era to approach, given my body build?

Looking forward to reading your great advice! Thanks!!

Ccc

Rosie

One Too Many
Hi. It all depends on YOUR style. I'm no expert but, I'm 5'9ish, very much an amazon, hourglass shaped, fat/full figured/plus sized, whatever you feel comfortable calling it. I tend to like the styles of the 40s/50s and that is what I wear. I think that the best approach would be to see what you like, try on a few pieces and see what works best with your body type. The hourglass shape, in my opinion looks GREAT in this period of clothing and with the correct tailoring, does great for a fuller figure.

A few basics, again, depending on your style would be some tailored jackets and dresses, some pencil skirts and fitted sweaters, blouses, a few circle skirts and dresses, a few cardigans.

Who do you admire as a style icon?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Rosie in that "New Look" clothing is very flattering to a wide-range of figures. I would add on to her list by suggesting you look for a couple of tailored, a-line shirtdresses, as I find this style to be flattering on many builds (and it also looks very polished in a snap!) Another thing to add to your wardrobe is a few good, comfortable foundation garments, as they will really add to the look (and were worn by all sizes in this time period.)

Since you are so petite in height, I would suggest that you have your dresses/skirts hemmed to the length that is most flattering to you. In other words, make sure the longer skirts of this era aren't too long, as they will make you look shorter (depending on the shape of your legs, I have found that just at or above the calf seems to be the best length on shorter women. But again, it depends on your particular figure, so try out a number of lengths as you go along.) Also, very full skirts might overwhelm your frame. You'll need to try on a number of styles to see what looks best, and then you will know what to look for as you shop for your wardrobe :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
Hi. It all depends on YOUR style. I'm no expert but, I'm 5'9ish, very much an amazon, hourglass shaped, fat/full figured/plus sized, whatever you feel comfortable calling it. I tend to like the styles of the 40s/50s and that is what I wear. I think that the best approach would be to see what you like, try on a few pieces and see what works best with your body type. The hourglass shape, in my opinion looks GREAT in this period of clothing and with the correct tailoring, does great for a fuller figure.

A few basics, again, depending on your style would be some tailored jackets and dresses, some pencil skirts and fitted sweaters, blouses, a few circle skirts and dresses, a few cardigans.

Who do you admire as a style icon?
I totally agree with your advice.
One of the reason's I like the 40's is because the shape is more flattering on my curves. I'm 5'0, and I've got some curves. I feel the best wearing dresses and suits that are tailored at the waist, and have more of an a-line look.
It really is up to you. Try on some different styles, that's really the best way to pick an era that is right for you.
"Everyday Fashions of The Tirties" and "Everyday Fashions of The Fourties" are reproductions of Sears catalogs from those eras. They are great resources to get ideas for outfits, and will give you a good idea of the style options that you will have. They sell it at lots of bookstores and at Amazon. They were the first books I bought for vintage dressing reference, and I still use them today to get style ideas.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here here!

I too am built like Rosie, but Im 5'7". I have an hourglass figure, but my natural waist is quite high. I tend to do half ciricle skirts instead of full circle, long a line skirts and LOVE cardigans. I dont do many belted numbers, because of my high waist, but I have a few. Im working up the nerve to do more pincil skirts as well, and I cant do heels cause I dont like em.

I love the 40s 50s style, it has a myriad of samples from most eras, right before the downfall of tailored attire. Suits, pants, dresses, skirts, its the most versitile.

What I would suggest is that you take your measurements and look around at styles you like. If you cant find things in your size, get patterns you like and build a wardrobe of simple pieces to start.

You can also buy contempo conservative items that are often cut the same as they were 50 years ago. I have some nice clean oxfords that are like that.

Good luck in your soul search for vintage style ;) If you have any questions, PM me, Id be more than happy to chat.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass