Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fat foot, high instep boot rec's.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[keep in mind that we may have to re-post everything here, since
they are updating this site]

Depending on the boot, I have a EEE or EEEE foot and a high instep.
I am very comfortable in a EEEE Viberg boot (actually, I could probably
do with a EEE) and wear both a EEE and a EEEE Wesco boot. In the
EEEE (which I have on now) there is room for an insert for the instep,
though I don't use one.

One recommendation is to stick to boots that lace low down towards
the toes. Gives more leeway in adjusting the top end for the instep.

Another would be to think about the toe box. My EEE Wescos fit me
like a glove except that they are tight in the toes and rub a bit. For this
reason I am also very wary of steel toes- if they rub, it's nasty. Lined
boots might help some- the Viberg Foreman boot comes with a lined
toe box standard and it makes a big difference in comfort in that area.

Since this post may disappear, that's all the effort for now. Looking forward
to hearing the recommendations of others.

Graemsay

Practically Family
No direct recommendations, but Wesco, Danner, Whites and various other high end manufacturers off a custom fitting service. In the UK you'd be looking at Altberg.

It might be worth speaking to whichever of them is nearest to you, and getting properly measured.

If you've got money to burn then some bespoke shoemakers can build orthotics into the last...

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have to wear a lift in my right shoe, ruling out most regular shoes and ruling in boots with higher instep to accommodate it. I've found any Redwing with a Moc toe. Trask, while not a moc toe, has a high enough instep for me if I buy them a half-size big. Chippewa moc toes work too. I dont know if any of these go wide enough for you. I take an E comfortably and often a D. Also, the way you lace the boot can help---the advice about boots that lace toward the toe is one way--but on all boots I lace straight up the sides from the eyelets to the the first set of clips and then cross at that point again, rather than across the instep. That makes a big difference. --Mark

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Okay, so we don't know what the original poster is looking for. I am assuming that custom
is out of his price range or there would be no problem.
One other thing I wanted to note- most cowboy boots have disappointingly
tight insteps. However, you can probably get a shoe store to stretch
them. I've done that with limited success.

CC-1

Familiar Face
Please check the Alden boot for work. Although very popular now with the [Indie] style crowd, the boot was originally part of their orthopedic line. It has a distinctive last design which may work for your foot. It is a 6 inch boot, not like what people think of as a work boot these days which is actually yesterday's hunting boot. Unless you are in the trenches or jumping into forest fires, you probably don't need a 9-10 inch boot, especially if on ladders etc. Contact Alden customer service in Middleborough (also Middleboro) Massachusetts. (508) 923-1680.
P.S. I have nothing to do with the company or the industry of shoes.

ctforman

New in Town
Hard to find the Alden 405s in extra wide sizes though it is a really good boot. I would look into a boot from White's. The custom sizing is easy with the kit and the boots are great. You'll spend some real money but it will probably be worth every dime in the long run

apba1166

A-List Customer
Alden

Absolutely. I have a pair of 405s and they are great for the feet. They come w/o insoles so my orthotics and lifts work well. They are superb. Also, be careful when sizing, I thought at first I needed an E, but the D proved to work better w/break-in.

Another choice is custom, if you have the time and money. Last summer I had to go to northern WI for work and stopped in at Russell Moccasin and ordered a custom pair to deal with all my issues....3 months to get them, still waiting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff