Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Rathdown

Practically Family
Partial as I am to the car in my avatar (my 1951 Bentley with coachwork by HJ Mulliner) I'd be hard pressed to turn down any big two passenger coupe or open car of the '30s. I can think of few things more self-indulgent than driving around in a two-seater Rolls-Royce at the height of the depression. Or doing the same, today.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Partial as I am to the car in my avatar (my 1951 Bentley with coachwork by HJ Mulliner) I'd be hard pressed to turn down any big two passenger coupe or open car of the '30s. I can think of few things more self-indulgent than driving around in a two-seater Rolls-Royce at the height of the depression. Or doing the same, today.

We are in the same boat (although my avatar is a 1933 Auburn boat-tail speedster).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
There is a lot of cultural baggage carried with a ‘57 Chevrolet, but “redneck” is not what usually comes first to mind when I see one.

I can think of a few ways to “redneck” one, perhaps:

1) Too easy: Mount it to a 4x4 Blazer chassis with 33" swampers - anything that started life as a passenger car but now has 33" swampers is redneck deluxe;
2) Street Machine It: Mickey Thompson valve covers, high-back bucket seats, B&M ratchet shifter, nasty rake, white letter tires on slot mags - essentially try to make a ‘78 Camaro out of it; or
3) Moonshiner: Take a plain-jane, black 150 sedan with a dual-quad engine, 3-speed on the column, overload springs in the back and a case of white lightning in the trunk - a homebuilt Black Widow if you will.

A ‘57 Bel Air or 210 with whitewalls is more doo wop or Patti Page than redneck, by far.

-Dave

Sounds about right to me.

I've got friends that want me to put my Chevy Caprice wagon on a Suburban frame on 44 Super Swampers and take it out to where we all go mudding.

There is a lot of cultural baggage carried with a ‘57 Chevrolet, but “redneck” is not what usually comes first to mind when I see one.

I can think of a few ways to “redneck” one, perhaps:

1) Too easy: Mount it to a 4x4 Blazer chassis with 33" swampers - anything that started life as a passenger car but now has 33" swampers is redneck deluxe;
2) Street Machine It: Mickey Thompson valve covers, high-back bucket seats, B&M ratchet shifter, nasty rake, white letter tires on slot mags - essentially try to make a ‘78 Camaro out of it; or
3) Moonshiner: Take a plain-jane, black 150 sedan with a dual-quad engine, 3-speed on the column, overload springs in the back and a case of white lightning in the trunk - a homebuilt Black Widow if you will.

A ‘57 Bel Air or 210 with whitewalls is more doo wop or Patti Page than redneck, by far.

-Dave

Oh yeah, 33's are only for daily drivers these days. Honestly, I never got the lifted truck thing. Some of my friends are getting where I come from now, too. Their ball joints and suspension parts are all going bad. There's a price to pay for all that flash and pizzazz.

Are 44s the new 33s? I can't keep track.

-Dave

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Two old cars central in my life:
11347_ok_thumb.jpg

The first car we had when I was a kid was a 1938 Opel Kadett. After WWII ordinary people couldn’t buy new cars in Norway until 1961 and you were lucky if you could get hold of an old one. My dad took that old Opel apart, we had the engine and gearbox on our kitchen table for weeks while he cleaned it and replaced broken parts. Then he fixed the rust, put in a new wooden floor and we had the first working car on our street.

It used to overheat every now and then. If it did, my mum, my sister and I would take a stroll down the road, it was safer then, not that many cars. When old Adam ,as we called the car, had cooled down my dad came and picked us up and we carried on to where ever we were going

11348_fcc_thumb.jpg

The first car my sister and I ever drove was a 1962 Ford Consul Classic 315 and it was the first new car my family had. It looked just like this one, lime green with a pearl white roof, but our was a 4 door version. When my father bought a new Volvo my sister got the Ford, she was four years older than me. By the time it was my turn the Macpherson struts had made most of the front rust right through and it was scrapped

Taz-man

Familiar Face
I don't really have just one. I have always liked the 1932 Chevrolet Confederate 4-door sedan, 1932 Ford 3-window Coupe, 1940 Ford convertible. I fell in love with my father's 1949 Model 98, 1953 Model 88, and his 1963 Cutlass. I know that this isn't apart of the Golden era but I love the 1963 Chevrolet Impala, 1967 Pontiac GTO, and my own personal 1970 Chevrolet pickup truck, she is my baby.

I used to have a 63 Impala. Very subdued automobile, for those who aren't into the big-finned, flamboyant cars from a few years earlier. (I'm a chrome and fin nut, but love cars, in general)

A 58 Buick had come up locally, recently. I tried my darndest to buy it, but in the end, it wasn't a good fiscal choice right now. Trying to save up for a house.

There is definitely a part of me that wants a '58 Oldsmobile or Buick. Like you, I have a major soft spot for that era's "patio culture" lifestyle.

-Dave

Justin B

One Too Many
I'm more of '48 Buick guy, but I wouldn't turn down the later decade ones either. Which reminds me Tom, that Caddy in the barn wasn't a '31...it's a '13.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I recently found a picture of my dad leaning up against his 1947 Oldsmobile 98 Custom Cruiser 2-door, and... man. I love that shape.

When I get the scanner working, I'll put that picture up. For now:
oldsmobile-vehicles-1942-oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-1731481.jpg

I love the 48 Buick, too. I REALLY love the 59 Caddy, that's my dream car. (one of them) I just love the way that car struts down the road, like a Peacock, accented by mile high fins and enough chromium to ruin a city's water supply!

A '13? Is it real or one of those replicars that were popular from the early 50's up?

I'm more of '48 Buick guy, but I wouldn't turn down the later decade ones either. Which reminds me Tom, that Caddy in the barn wasn't a '31...it's a '13.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have probably posted in this thread before, but I love '40s-'50s Buicks. They're my favourite. They're like the American dream in a tin to me. A little bit flashy, mostly stolid and driving to the store for groceries in a hat and tie.

Tombrooks621

New in Town
Took my breath away! God, the first is magnificent.

Oh, the '48 Tucker.... DRULE! Was my top dream car and I still love them very much but, I'd have to go with something I'd feel OK driving and finding parts for.

Buick: Very nice cars! All the models from the late 20's to the early 50's I'd have to say I really enjoy. I really enjoy the 1938 Buick Y!

1970_2mg.jpg

1938-Buick-Y-Job-ra-1280x960.jpg

This is on the top of the list! 1934 La Salle!
34LaSalleSrs350CvtCpe1.jpeg

And for a close runner up, (since I'm a MoPar man) if I never make that million, I'll gladly take this, a 1941 Plymouth convertible.
41done7ut.jpg

=WR=

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well, if we want to keep talking postwar Buicks, I vote for the '54 as the ultimate postwar Buick. It has all of the division's trademarks for the era: the waterfall grille, the Nailhead and Dynaflow, the portholes, the radiused rear wheel openings, the sweepspear side trim, and the available Century (Roadmaster engine in a Special body).

67036_464190_1954_Buick_Century.jpg

Buick is a brand that really speaks to me for many years. They kind of lost sight of themselves since the '80s (stupid front-wheel drive), but seem to be getting back there.

-Dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy